Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 02:52 PM

338 posts, read 300,883 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a home in Covington Ridge Community in Marietta.
Is this a nice community?

I was checking the property tax rate in Cobb County and it was only 0.72%.
Is this accurate or are there other property taxes that will be assessed?

Schools assigned are: Hightower Trail Middle School and Pope High School.
Great school shows them to be great.
These schools are not as diverse as schools in Forsyth county.
We are coming from MN and even our schools have 20% Asians.
Wondering if kids of Asian origin will fit into these schools.
My kids were born and raised in MN.

Initially our jobs are remote but I may have a job in the Alpharetta area in the future.
How is the commute from Marietta to Alpharetta during morning/evening and off-peak hours.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 04:46 PM

1,150 posts, read 616,349 times
Great area. Those schools are fantastic and Asian kids will definitely fit in with that cluster. Same goes for Walton and Lassiter.

Where in Alpharetta will you be commuting to?

Old 02-26-2022, 05:42 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,518,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post

Initially our jobs are remote but I may have a job in the Alpharetta area in the future.
How is the commute from Marietta to Alpharetta during morning/evening and off-peak hours.?
From what I know of the area, Covington Ridge is a very nice community.

From what I understand and know, the 0.72% effective property tax rate seems to be accurate as Cobb County is a jurisdiction that has long been recognized and known for its lower property tax rates.

Hightower Trail Middle School and Pope High School are excellent-to-exceptional schools in an area with a reputation for having excellent-to-exceptional in the Pope High School cluster of the Cobb County School District in East Cobb.

Asian and Pacific Islander students currently make up about 10.9% of the student population at Hightower Trail Middle School and about 6.7% of the student population at Pope High School, both figures which are above the Cobb County School District system average Asian/Pacific Islander student population of 5% per school.

As has been mentioned in some previous posts on this subject, East Cobb does not have as large of an Asian population as North Fulton, South Forsyth and Gwinnett counties.

Though, Walton High School does have a fairly large population of Asian/Pacific Islander students who currently make up about 21.5% of the student body at that school.

Asian and Pacific Islander students currently make up about 13.2% of the student population at a Wheeler High School campus where minority students as a whole make up about 74% of the student body.

Asian students should not have any problem fitting in at schools like Hightower Trail MS and Pope HS, but those schools will not have the increasingly large and even dominant presence of Asian students that many schools may have in North Fulton, South Forsyth and Gwinnett counties.

Off-peak commutes between the Pope HS zone of East Cobb and Alpharetta will be a relative breeze and (depending on where one will be commuting to and from in Alpharetta) should be able to be completed within about 25 minutes or so. Peak-hour/rush-hour commutes to and from Alpharetta should be able to be completed within about between 25-40 minutes on most days.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
Great area. Those schools are fantastic and Asian kids will definitely fit in with that cluster. Same goes for Walton and Lassiter.

Where in Alpharetta will you be commuting to?
Both I and my wife have remote jobs at this time. wife's job will be remote forever. I am in tech so I may get a on-site job in future so I was trying to estimate how long the commute would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
From what I know of the area, Covington Ridge is a very nice community.

From what I understand and know, the 0.72% effective property tax rate seems to be accurate as Cobb County is a jurisdiction that has long been recognized and known for its lower property tax rates.

Hightower Trail Middle School and Pope High School are excellent-to-exceptional schools in an area with a reputation for having excellent-to-exceptional in the Pope High School cluster of the Cobb County School District in East Cobb.

Asian and Pacific Islander students currently make up about 10.9% of the student population at Hightower Trail Middle School and about 6.7% of the student population at Pope High School, both figures which are above the Cobb County School District system average Asian/Pacific Islander student population of 5% per school.

As has been mentioned in some previous posts on this subject, East Cobb does not have as large of an Asian population as North Fulton, South Forsyth and Gwinnett counties.

Though, Walton High School does have a fairly large population of Asian/Pacific Islander students who currently make up about 21.5% of the student body at that school.

Asian and Pacific Islander students currently make up about 13.2% of the student population at a Wheeler High School campus where minority students as a whole make up about 74% of the student body.

Asian students should not have any problem fitting in at schools like Hightower Trail MS and Pope HS, but those schools will not have the increasingly large and even dominant presence of Asian students that many schools may have in North Fulton, South Forsyth and Gwinnett counties.

Off-peak commutes between the Pope HS zone of East Cobb and Alpharetta will be a relative breeze and (depending on where one will be commuting to and from in Alpharetta) should be able to be completed within about 25 minutes or so. Peak-hour/rush-hour commutes to and from Alpharetta should be able to be completed within about between 25-40 minutes on most days.

I was only looking in Forsyth county because it has low taxes and good schools.
I did not realize Cobb County has even lower property taxes.
25 minutes off-peak and even 45 minutes during rush hour does not sound too bad to me.

We have been looking for a home and expanded our area of search found a great home. I feared that the future commute to Alpharetta may be terrible.
This gives us hope.

Thank you both.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:30 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,518,375 times
Quote:
Both I and my wife have remote jobs at this time. wife's job will be remote forever. I am in tech so I may get a on-site job in future so I was trying to estimate how long the commute would be.

I was only looking in Forsyth county because it has low taxes and good schools.
I did not realize Cobb County has even lower property taxes.
25 minutes off-peak and even 45 minutes during rush hour does not sound too bad to me.

We have been looking for a home and expanded our area of search found a great home. I feared that the future commute to Alpharetta may be terrible.
This gives us hope.

Thank you both.
Both East Cobb and Forsyth County are great (if not excellent) choices.

Though, if one is looking for a larger and possibly even dominant presence of Asian students and families, areas like North Fulton County, South Forsyth County and much of Gwinnett County likely will be better areas for you and your family to focus in on while searching for housing.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:59 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,710,262 times
Great area, close to me.

Probably 25-35 mins depending on where is Alpharetta.

2 of my kids are Asian (indian and Korean), and both minority groups are prominent within their schools

Old 02-27-2022, 12:08 AM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times
Quote:

I remember when they built Covington Ridge.

Nice. And Asian kids will fit in fine in the Hightower Trail Middle-Pope High feed.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:19 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,146,850 times
Quote:

My son, DIL and granddaughter will be your neighbors. My granddaughters best friend is Asian. Lovely young lady. And depending on your children's ages may go to school at Hightower and Pope with your kids. Welcome! Everyone in the area seems to be so nice and even treat Grandma as family when we go down to visit. They moved from D.C. and they ALL made friends so fast.......

Old 02-27-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
My son, DIL and granddaughter will be your neighbors. My granddaughters best friend is Asian. Lovely young lady. And depending on your children's ages may go to school at Hightower and Pope with your kids. Welcome! Everyone in the area seems to be so nice and even treat Grandma as family when we go down to visit. They moved from D.C. and they ALL made friends so fast.......
My kids are 10 and 12. They will start 5th and 8th grade this fall.

Thank you all for answering my questions.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:33 AM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times
Quote:
My kids are 10 and 12. They will start 5th and 8th grade this fall.

Thank you all for answering my questions.
For Grade 5 (elementary school), Covington Ridge is zoned for Shallowford Falls Elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta