Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 904 times

Advertisements

Toll Brothers is known as a "luxury" builder. Lennar is mid range and then D.R. Horton tends to build starter homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 05:23 AM

10,397 posts, read 11,521,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
$25-$30k? That is going to be a very small pool. We built a 12x24 (1' - 6' deep) pool three years ago. With all of the equipment it ran us about $50k. I suppose you could do without a heater, pool cleaner and the like in order to save some money, but you would not enjoy your pool as much (particularly the heater).
$50k to install a pool??? $30k to install a small pool??? ... A pool that most likely may very rarely be used outside of the 3-month period between Memorial Day and Labor Day?

It’s understandable why community pools have grown to be so popular, LOL.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:05 AM

338 posts, read 301,121 times
Our current home was built by a small family-owned builder. Lennar bought them and started building homes with a lot less options but were including more in the base home. There are a lot of Lennar homes in MN.

I was excited about Toll Bros as they had 2 new communities in Cumming. They website showed pictures of model homes that looked amazing.

I began reading reviews of Toll Bros and they were universally bad.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/hous...-brothers.html

I understand covid is causing supply chain shortage and labor shortage. But nothing can justify these types of reviews.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:46 PM

Default Questions for families who moved with kids

We are hoping to move from MN to great Atlanta this summer.
We have 10 and 12-year-old sons.
My kids have lived in the same house since they were born.
For us, our biggest priority is to move into a community that gives our kids the greatest chances of making new friends.

My wife is 100% remote. I am in Tech and I am remote at this time. In the future, I do want to be able to go to work in person if needed. With these constraints, we are looking for homes in and around the Alpharetta area.

Good public schools, access to parks, shopping, and proximity to Alpharetta tech jobs are important for us.

Our short list is:
Alpharetta
Cumming
Suwanee
Johns Creek
Milton

Did consider East Cobb (excellent schools, closer to the city but not enough parks).
Looked at Roswell, Sandy Springs but the schools are not as nice as the cities I listed above.

We want the budget to be less than $1.1 million.

Looking into new home builders but many of them are selling out quickly, charging a bit too much, and suffering from massive delays. So we are primarily looking at existing homes.

We have found a few homes that have everything we need except for the fact that they were standalone homes with no access to community pools and tennis courts. Our assumption is that if we are in a community our kids will have a better chance to make friends. Is this assumption correct?

I am hoping for recommendations for communities we should focus on. Even if the home does not have everything parents desire we will compromise and select a home that offers a better chance of making friends.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
We are hoping to move from MN to great Atlanta this summer.
We have 10 and 12-year-old sons.
My kids have lived in the same house since they were born.
For us, our biggest priority is to move into a community that gives our kids the greatest chances of making new friends.

My wife is 100% remote. I am in Tech and I am remote at this time. In the future, I do want to be able to go to work in person if needed. With these constraints, we are looking for homes in and around the Alpharetta area.

Good public schools, access to parks, shopping, and proximity to Alpharetta tech jobs are important for us.

Our short list is:
Alpharetta
Cumming
Suwanee
Johns Creek
Milton

Did consider East Cobb (excellent schools, closer to the city but not enough parks).
Looked at Roswell, Sandy Springs but the schools are not as nice as the cities I listed above.

We want the budget to be less than $1.1 million.

Looking into new home builders but many of them are selling out quickly, charging a bit too much, and suffering from massive delays. So we are primarily looking at existing homes.

We have found a few homes that have everything we need except for the fact that they were standalone homes with no access to community pools and tennis courts. Our assumption is that if we are in a community our kids will have a better chance to make friends. Is this assumption correct?

I am hoping for recommendations for communities we should focus on. Even if the home does not have everything parents desire we will compromise and select a home that offers a better chance of making friends.

Thanks
You are indeed correct in your assumption that your children will have a much better chance of meeting other kids and making new friends if your family lives in a swim-tennis community with community pools and tennis courts.

Some swim-tennis communities that immediately come to mind in that North Fulton County/South Forsyth County area that you appear to have narrowed your focus down on are:

> The Windward Community (Alpharetta)

> Windermere (Cumming)

> Laurel Springs (on the Forsyth County side of the Suwanee mailing area)

> St. Marlo Country Club (on the Forsyth County side of the Duluth mailing area)

> Olde Atlanta Club (on the Forsyth County side of the Suwanee mailing area)

> Bridleton (on the Forsyth County side of the Suwanee mailing area)

> The Reserve at Old Atlanta (on the Forsyth County side of the Suwanee mailing area)

> Laurelwood at Shakerag, and Devonhall (two communities that adjoin each other and share a pool, tennis courts and a playground in Johns Creek)

> Blackstone (Johns Creek)

> Sugar Mill (Johns Creek)

> St. Ives Country Club (Johns Creek)

> Medlock Bridge Subdivision (Johns Creek)

> White Columns Country Club (Milton)

> Crooked Creek (Milton)

> The Manor Golf & Country Club (Milton)

> Champions Run (on the Forsyth County side of the Suwanee mailing area)

> Grand Cascades (on the Forsyth County side of the Suwanee mailing area)

> Three Chimneys Farm (Cumming)

> Longlake (Cumming)

> Creekstone Estates (Cumming)

> Polo Golf and Country Club (Cumming)

> Hampton Golf Village (Cumming... if you ever become interested in extending your housing search out into the North Forsyth or East Forsyth school clusters)

> Rivermoore Park (on the Gwinnett County side of Suwanee in the North Gwinnett school zone)

> The River Club (on the Gwinnett County side of Suwanee in the North Gwinnett school zone)

> Stonebridge (on the Gwinnett County side of Suwanee in the North Gwinnett school zone)

> Lansdowne (on the Gwinnett County side of Suwanee in the North Gwinnett school zone)

> Lansfaire (on the Gwinnett County side of Suwanee in the North Gwinnett school zone)

> Forest Plantation (on the Gwinnett County side of Suwanee in the North Gwinnett school zone)

> Stonebrier at Sugarloaf (in the Peachtree Ridge school zone in Duluth)

> Sugarloaf Country Club (in the Peachtree Ridge school zone in Duluth)

There are many more swim-tennis communities in than what I have listed in the North/Northeast outer-suburban metro Atlanta area that you have narrowed your focus to.

If you haven’t already contacted one at this point, you likely may need a good realtor/broker (a good buyer’s agent) to help you comb through all of the numerous swim-tennis community options that the North/Northeast outer-suburban metro Atlanta area features.

Old 02-18-2022, 03:17 PM

Thank you very much for sharing these communities. We will seek local realtor help in the future and also independently look into these swim communities.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:59 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,913,477 times
I'm going to offer more generic advice as someone who moved frequently as a child:

Elementary school will probably not be difficult in meeting new friends. Its middle school where it gets more difficult.

Even if your children are not the type who will be playing on HS varsity teams, there are a lot of swim teams and rec sports leagues around. These are places to meet other kids and get good exercise. Clubs at school can be good places to find others with similar interests.

If you have a faith, church/synagogue/etc., are good places for kids to meet each other.

Encourage them to take the initiative in meeting other kids, especially the 12 year old. Don't wait for them to invite you.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:16 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Do your kids play sports? Even if your home isn't part of a traditional subdivision, I imagine they'd make a bunch of friends from their teams.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'm going to offer more generic advice as someone who moved frequently as a child:

Elementary school will probably not be difficult in meeting new friends. Its middle school where it gets more difficult.

Even if your children are not the type who will be playing on HS varsity teams, there are a lot of swim teams and rec sports leagues around. These are places to meet other kids and get good exercise. Clubs at school can be good places to find others with similar interests.

If you have a faith, church/synagogue/etc., are good places for kids to meet each other.

Encourage them to take the initiative in meeting other kids, especially the 12 year old. Don't wait for them to invite you.
Thank you for your suggestions. I am especially concerned about my 12-year-old. He is an introvert. We will enroll him in a bunch of activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Do your kids play sports? Even if your home isn't part of a traditional subdivision, I imagine they'd make a bunch of friends from their teams.
My kids play soccer, flag football and Tennis.
We do plan to enroll them in sports activities.
We do think that having kids around the neighborhood will accelerate the process of making friends.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. I am especially concerned about my 12-year-old. He is an introvert. We will enroll him in a bunch of activities.

My kids play soccer, flag football and Tennis.
We do plan to enroll them in sports activities.
We do think that having kids around the neighborhood will accelerate the process of making friends.
Yeah, it sounds like a good swim-tennis community would be a good fit (if not the best fit) for your family’s social needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta