Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times

Advertisements

I guess only time will tell.

Since I am not a Sandra Bullock I would have to have extensive training to handle a gun properly. I don't think I want to arm myself to take my 15 lb dog to the dog park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 PM

252 posts, read 390,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Once again, all the sudden, millions of dollars are missing from the city and now the Mayor shouts "money shortage" again. Sound familier? The same mayor that has left the city chronically short of cops and firefighters, let the homeless take over Woodruff Park and 5 Points and encouraged the AHA to demolish the homes of elderly low income people and replace them with luxury condos. And yet the fools think she is a great Mayor??
Then there is the tornado. Happened a MONTH ago and the streets are still closed and NOTHING has been fixed! If it were a well run city (Chicago, NY), Boulevard Street would have been opened within days. Here it has been a month and it is still closed forcing all the traffic in Cabbagetown to use the Krog St tunnel to go north.
While she might be an "improvement" to Campbell, she isn't much of one. With all the new high rises and luxury townhouses and condos going up all over the city, Atlanta should be awash in new tax money. Who is stealing it?
Sounds just like New Orleans and Detroit...How sad.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,543 times
Blacks in Atlanta will never vote for a white mayor, never allow a white chief of police, or any other high office in City Government. What I want to know is why? Millions of white Americans are supporting Barack Obama for president. The vast majority of white Atlantans in the city proper are in fact not prejudiced. Isn't it time we moved beyond race and voted in a rational way for people that were actually dedicated to public service - and that means keeping the infrastructure up to spec, attacking crime the way NYC has done - again, please tell me why - the majority of crime in Atlanta is black on black. We should be building the city the way that it will be a World leader. Until America gets to this reality things will not change. But I believe people's first allegience is to their City. If we keep this utmost in our minds and efforts we - all Atlantans - we will prevail!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:43 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,863 times
the country is lead by killers, they killed the indians and stole the land from them so...... they are just following the blueprint on how they did it prior

Old 05-10-2008, 08:04 AM

144 posts, read 331,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Knowing Clark, he might prefer to be hired as a consultant. There are a number of people 'around' who could offer some suggestions.

I think we need Rudy.
Even Rudy couldn't fix this mess--not without more public pride among area residents, and more interest in actually making ATL world class instead of trying to stay OTP as much as possible.

Damn conservatives!

Old 05-10-2008, 11:56 AM

20 posts, read 71,389 times
Default Newbie

I know everyone that has replied was at the City Council Finance Committee meeting on the 8th to tell your representatives not to approve a tax increase. Because everyone that was fired was there.
There is another finance committee meeting on the 15th at 7:00. Warm bodies mean Alot at these meetings.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 12,313 times
Default Rudy - or someone similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
Even Rudy couldn't fix this mess--not without more public pride among area residents, and more interest in actually making ATL world class instead of trying to stay OTP as much as possible.

Damn conservatives!
I'm in the process of moving from NYC to Metro Atlanta. IMHO you do need Rudy or someone of that caliber. When Rudy was elected there were many in NYC that didn't vote for him and couldn't stand him, but before he left we were wishing we could get rid of term limits and re-elect him! We didn't believe Rudy could get rid of the crime that was infesting our city. We didn't believe anybody could, the crime and mismanagement of the city was really bad. I still can't believe how much things have changed. I'm not saying crime is non existent but it is NOWHERE like it used to be. I'm moving because my husband has wanted to make this move to be close to his family for years but we both had jobs that we couldn't walk away from. We have waited for 25 years only to see Georgia, the home where his mother was born, plagued with the same crime statistics that we grew up with in New York City. NYC is proof that big city problems can be tackled and posititve results can be realized, but it is important to elect the right people to attain those results. I haven't got to ATL yet but when I do I intend to become actively involved with voting out who needs to be voted out and putting in office the people that promote system changes for improving the city and surrounding areas. If we can do it here it can be done anywhere.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsweet2me View Post
I'm in the process of moving from NYC to Metro Atlanta. IMHO you do need Rudy or someone of that caliber. When Rudy was elected there were many in NYC that didn't vote for him and couldn't stand him, but before he left we were wishing we could get rid of term limits and re-elect him! We didn't believe Rudy could get rid of the crime that was infesting our city. We didn't believe anybody could, the crime and mismanagement of the city was really bad. I still can't believe how much things have changed. I'm not saying crime is non existent but it is NOWHERE like it used to be. I'm moving because my husband has wanted to make this move to be close to his family for years but we both had jobs that we couldn't walk away from. We have waited for 25 years only to see Georgia, the home where his mother was born, plagued with the same crime statistics that we grew up with in New York City. NYC is proof that big city problems can be tackled and posititve results can be realized, but it is important to elect the right people to attain those results. I haven't got to ATL yet but when I do I intend to become actively involved with voting out who needs to be voted out and putting in office the people that promote system changes for improving the city and surrounding areas. If we can do it here it can be done anywhere.
From New Yorkers that I have met online it seems that many of them have some pride/concern for their city. Of course I met them after 911 and that may have a great deal to do with it.

Honestly, if Atlanta suffered such a tragedy I wonder if residents would care at all. If more people like you move here maybe things will improve.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Atlanta View Post
Blacks in Atlanta will never vote for a white mayor, never allow a white chief of police, or any other high office in City Government. What I want to know is why? Millions of white Americans are supporting Barack Obama for president. The vast majority of white Atlantans in the city proper are in fact not prejudiced. Isn't it time we moved beyond race and voted in a rational way for people that were actually dedicated to public service - and that means keeping the infrastructure up to spec, attacking crime the way NYC has done - again, please tell me why - the majority of crime in Atlanta is black on black. We should be building the city the way that it will be a World leader. Until America gets to this reality things will not change. But I believe people's first allegience is to their City. If we keep this utmost in our minds and efforts we - all Atlantans - we will prevail!
I would not say that. Blacks elected a white Mayor in Gary Indiana twice and it is more black than Atlanta is.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:53 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times
I used to think Shirley was a good mayor at least during her first term, especially compared to Bill Campbell. It seemed like the crime problem was improving, just like NYC under Rudy. Back then, I would have thanked her personally for making the city safer. She was also fighting hard to fix the sewer problem. Apparently many though she was a good mayor at the time, wasn't she named one the best mayors in the country by People Magazine? Now, she has been showing her incompetence, corruption, and mismanagement of funds, and the crime problem is getting out of hand again. I don't know what's going on in the late 00's, but unfortunately progress seemed to end sometime in 2005 and reversed course after that. It could have been post-Katrina that had something to do with it, plus the stumbling economy, which of course is beyond Shirley's control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta