Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,899,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
A few clarifications though...
  • Yuppies vote: urban white folks, yuppies, buppies, etc are very active in the city--
Well, let's narrow it down a bit more then (IMO)... YOUNG yuppies (20-somethings) are much less motivated to vote. Ok, sure, the mid to upper 30-something and older who have established young families are more vote driven because they want to see improvements for their kids, etc. But the younger 20s yuppies are still too consumed with personal lives, parties, shopping, whatever, to usually make the effort. I've seen it, worked with them, and live around some. They just don't get it (yet). Hopefully soon, they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 AM

826 posts, read 3,122,436 times
My intown Atlanta yuppie neighbors vote.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:33 PM

81 posts, read 292,972 times
Guys, I think we have a very good chance to elect someone outside of the machine.....these are very exciting times for Atlanta. Maybe this budget fiasco is the straw that broke the camel's back. My opinion is that it will be these three people fighting it out:

Mary Norwood
Clark Howard
Lisa Borders

Does anyone have any other names to add to the above list or reasons they believe any of the ones I mentioned will not be on the ballots?

When will campaigning begin????

EDIT: I just read that Shirley's term doesn't end until the end of 2009, so I guess that means campaining will begin next year...

Last edited by SoBuKev; 05-08-2008 at 03:49 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 05:11 PM

54 posts, read 235,175 times
Default Chicago . . . Well Run?

HA HA HA!! If Chicago was well run, I wouldn't be packing my things to leave this crappy city!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 PM

23,478 posts, read 44,128,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rougejoker View Post
HA HA HA!! If Chicago was well run, I wouldn't be packing my things to leave this crappy city!
Really? Whenever I'm there, I always marvel at how clean and 'manicured' the public spaces are there...it's one of the things that I think distinguishes Chicago.
It's certainly not true of Atlanta...the public spaces here are a mess; sadly, this was not true 30-40 years ago.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
I hate to be blunt... But in my opinion, I really don't think this machine is going anywhere, at least in the next election. I honestly think a majority of the black people in Atlanta would rather have the same machine run the city than a non-black mayor. I could be wrong, but I dont think that a new type of mayor would win until this city is truly diverse. Hopefully the next election will prove me wrong.
I don't care what colour the Mayor is. It would just be nice to have somebody that is not a CRIMINAL or a LIAR and is COMPETENT! I would even prefer Lisa Borders to this!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougejoker View Post
I lived there for 14 years and it was a very well run city. If you had a problem, you called your Alderman and it got fixed fairly quickly. Now did that great service cost? Yep! Taxes high as hell there. But I never had a problem getting a street light fixed or having a cop come pretty quickly when I called 911 there. The parks and walkways were always well maintained and kept clean as well.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Really? Whenever I'm there, I always marvel at how clean and 'manicured' the public spaces are there...it's one of the things that I think distinguishes Chicago.
It's certainly not true of Atlanta...the public spaces here are a mess; sadly, this was not true 30-40 years ago.
I agree. It is really sad to see how once great parks like Woodruff Park- where you used to be able to go over and enjoy lunch at noon- have become trash dumps and filled with homeless people who openly urinate and defecate there. In NO park in Chicago would you see anything like that.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,498,348 times
I should probably start a new thread but this is somewhat related.

'Now Legal to Carry Guns in Atlanta Parks'
Guns now allowed in Atlanta's public parks | ajc.com (http://tinyurl.com/5vjkbz - broken link)

I haven't kept up with this and not at all certain that this is a good idea.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,899,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I should probably start a new thread but this is somewhat related.

'Now Legal to Carry Guns in Atlanta Parks'
Guns now allowed in Atlanta's public parks | ajc.com (http://tinyurl.com/5vjkbz - broken link)

I haven't kept up with this and not at all certain that this is a good idea.
It's a double-edged sword.

Go back 120 years. Everyone pretty much packed a handgun or rifle on them. While in the rural West you would hear of a skirmish here and there, overall, there were not mass executions of innocents by people walking down streets opening fire for no reason. There was also no such thing as home invasions or "carriage jacking" (other than a money coach robbery).

Go forward a bit to the 1930s-50s. Again, it was commonplace for homes to have a firearm of some sort. Again, no home invasions. Burglaries were not a daily thing. Shop owners had guns under the counters and the news was not filled with dozens of stories of robberies every day.

Enter today: It's not PC to own a gun. Not a lot of homes have them. and it's incredibly rare for anyone (law abiding) to have one on their person. Carjackings are more and more common. Shops and banks are robbed daily. Men/teens will burst into your home to rob you at gunpoint or take you and your car in broad daylight.

Is it such a bad thing anymore, that people will be allowed to carry guns in public? In many aspects of culture, "history repeats itself", and it's not just music and clothing styles. Perhaps we're headed back to a few decades where the average person DOES carry a gun for personal protection. Maybe that's what it'll take in order to reverse the trend in crime we see, that the police and threat of prison time can't curb?

I'm not a NRA person by any means. I see both sides - the dangers and the benefits - but it's one way to look at it.

The city leaders (Mayor) is even prepared to lay off police officers if need be due to the budget mishandling. Her good personal (and apparently inefficient) friend was placed in charge of the police department. Criminal? Maybe not (until they unearth more stuff perhaps), but it's certainly negligence and incompetence at the highest level. We may NEED these new laws to protect ourselves - after a few more budget booboos, there may not even BE a police force left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta