Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking for a house and I'm struggling between two houses with similar price in Chamblee (right beside the perimeter)and Peachtree Corners.

I work near Perimeter Center so the distance of these two houses are similar. My main activity area is at Midtown, Buford highway and Duluth. Chamblee seems more convenient in this case but I heard that Peachtree Corners is more peaceful and more promising with newer facilities. Also I heard people say that the house pricing will keep increasing in that area is that true?

BTW I live with my GF and we don't have plans for kids in the near future. So we are trying to find a good place for living as well as investing.
Any ideas/thoughts/recommendations?

Last edited by rockcs; 02-10-2020 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 12:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcs View Post
I'm currently looking for a house and I'm struggling between two houses with similar price in Chamblee (right beside the perimeter)and Peachtree Corners.

I work near Perimeter Center so the distance of these two houses are similar. My main activity area is at Midtown, Buford highway and Duluth. Chamblee seems more convenient in this case but I heard that Peachtree Corners is more peaceful and more promising with newer facilities. Also I heard people say that the house pricing will keep increasing in that area is that true?

BTW I live with my GF and we don't have plans for kids in the near future. So we are trying to find a good place for living as well as investing.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. The public schools will be better in Peachtree Corners though, if that is a consideration. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2020, 05:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
Nobody knows where housing stock will continue to appreciate.

Having said that, you probably have a small advantage in Gwinnett county over DeKalb county for things like schools, services, etc.

However... if MARTA access is important to you, that's unlikely to hit Peachtree Corners in the foreseeable future, if ever.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:33 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Nobody knows where housing stock will continue to appreciate.

Having said that, you probably have a small advantage in Gwinnett county over DeKalb county for things like schools, services, etc.

However... if MARTA access is important to you, that's unlikely to hit Peachtree Corners in the foreseeable future, if ever.

Services in Chamblee are a step up from unincorporated DeKalb, and are comparable to Peachtree Corners. Prices have been steadily appreciating here as well, for quite some time now.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:34 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
Actually Peachtree Corners really has better MARTA access than most of the metro, including a lot of areas in Fulton and DeKalb. It has Doraville station on the main line (with a ton of parking), 2 miles outside the city limits. And buses on Buford Highway and in the Technology Park area that also take you right to that station. Relatively good in terms of Metro Atlanta transit access for suburbs, and definitely the best in Gwinnett.

I visited this cool brewery in Peachtree Corners before I moved, I was impressed. My guess is that area will be going way up.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:19 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Love Chamblee.
Love Peachtree Corners.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:26 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
Most of Peachtree Corners is nice. I'm just a little wary of the area S/SW towards Peachtree Industrial. Northern part is definitely nice though. There's a half decent amount of jobs right there too. Not on the same scale as Perimeter Center or even Cumberland/Galleria area, but it's not bad. I think Peachtree Corners benefits from being adjacent to expensive N Fulton real estate and pretty close to Perimeter Center.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:01 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcs View Post

I know Peachtree Corners a little better than I know Chamblee. The areas aren't very comparable at all to me. Peachtree Corners is very much a single family household town with few apartments or condos it has shuffled into the SW corner. It is sandwiched between Roswell, Johns Creek, Norcross proper,Dunwoody and Duluth.

The section of it where 141 and Peachtree Industrial are divided, raised highway sucks. Lots of truck traffic and highway noise and medium to light industry nearby. Basically everywhere *else* in Peachtree Corners is pretty nice, but will increase your commute time from 15-30 minutes.

No one has a crystal ball and can tell you which area will appreciate more. Peachtree Corners has the nicer schools, the larger lots and (from what I have seen), the nicer homes. Chamblee is ITP and has had its own spurt of development in the past few years... but the area has has larger swings in terms of desirability over the past 15 years or so.

I will say this, being OTP will put a damper on the frequency of travel to midtown. There are just other options closer to you unless you're dead set on hanging out with bohemian yupsters.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
I like both locations.

Chamblee will have older working class Bungalows from the day the area was factory driven in the'50s & '60s.

The housing stock is fairly different in some large ways.

Peachtree Corners has larger newer homes (ie. '70s-'80s) and has more local office developments driving higher rent tenants nearby, but it is also awkwardly located next to the largest industrial area in the metro to the east towards I-85.

Both areas have this dual identity. Chamblee will probably have more immediate investment potential, if you're willing to take risks. The area to the north is already in high-demend due to its proximity to Brookhaven and Perimeter Center.

I would think of the areas just south of New Peacthree Rd has more up-side potential, because it is a less desirable area and the areas to the north are already a bit more expensive.

Of course, more up-side potential means more risk. It means it is not there yet, won't be as nice, and it means an economic downturn will likely result in the area losing more value.

Peachtree Corners will be more nice, more peaceful, more larger homes, and Gwinnett County has more amenities and a better Parks system budget than Dekalb County has.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:32 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Looks like the mixed use bandwagon keeps rolling along in Peachtree Corners.

Quote:
A master plan for a massive 75-acre mixed-use development along Governors Lake Parkway in Peachtree Corners including hotels, office space and hundreds of residences could create a “signature project” at the highly visible southern gateway into the city, according to local planners. But details of the development, including points of access, traffic circulation and number of residential units, have not yet been determined.

Full story...75-acre mixed-use development proposed along Governors Lake Parkway in Peachtree Corners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta