Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

Ok Bob - you said to start it and you'd do a sticky for it.

Here's the Atlanta photo thread. Post photos you've taken of places in and around the immediate Atlanta area. Homes, roads, traffic, smog, attractions, parks, etc. Nothing generic that could be just anywhere (flowers, etc), but photos that depict Atlanta specifically.

Try to keep them at a reasonable size (under 900 pixels, NOT full resolution) so that people with slower connections won't have to wait a month to see them. Please limit the number of pics to around 7 per post so as not to bog stuff down!

http://bestsmileys.com/signs2/20.gif (broken link) NOTE: Photos should be taken by YOU only! Do NOT post or link to photos online that have been taken by anyone other than yourself ( for legal copywrite reasons) or they should be removed.

http://bestsmileys.com/signs2/20.gif (broken link) NOTE: Also note that photos are the property of those who took them, and should not be used by anyone else without the written permission of those who took them.

Everyone join in!

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-14-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 03:56 PM

12 posts, read 111,152 times
I can't let you have all of the fun!

King & Queen buildings - Sandy Springs

Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 PM

Atlanta's Midtown skyline as seen from the observation deck at the lake in Piedmont Park. Various condo buildings as well as offices can be seen.

There has since been a newer skyscraper added to this view and once I take an updated shot I'll update it.

The drought still catches headlines, even though we've had a bit more rainfall this year than we did this time last year. Right before Christmas I went to Sweetwater Creek State Park (about 20 minutes West of Atlanta south of I-20), and took this shot of the "lake"...

expired

(so yes, the drought was/is real).

Even though there's more water in the lake now, we're still behind.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-28-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Default The Fun, The Glitz, and the Ugly...

First, the glitz, so to speak. Peachtree Street is the main street through downtown, and in this small section of it you'll find the large offices, some touristy restaurants, and the Peachtree Center mall (small mall under the street level which connects to the Peachtree Center MARTA station). If I'm right, the pedestrian skywalk bridge in the middle-right was severely damaged during the tornado that hit downtown recently - not sure if it's going to be removed or not...

Next is the "fun" - the Olympic ring fountain at Centennial Olympic Park near the CNN Center and the Aquarium. The park suffered some damage from the tornado but I believe most areas of it are now open. The fountain had been shut down for a while due to the drought but it MIGHT be back on now...

Last is the "ugly" side to Atlanta - the HUGE problem with vagrants in parts of downtown. Near the "Five Points" area is the worst. Avoiding the political debate as to the difference between a homeless person who needs help vs. a "bum", let's just say the city has done it's best to steer tourists away from this area and into the Aquarium/Centennial Park areas these days so they don't see this. Here below, you see a multi-million dollar fountain that was built for the Olympics. Today it's common to see men sleeping on the sitting ledge around it, peeing in it in broad daylight, or lounging on the ground around it. When I took this photo, a street preacher decided it was a good venue to sermon and pass out pizza to the addicts to. Ah, well...

ok I'm getting tired - start adding your pics, people.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Smile Pictures of the Washington Park/Westside Village Area

Here are some pictures of the neighborhood I recently moved to from Old 4th Ward/Inman Park called Historic Westside Village. The area is located due West of Downtown Atlanta/Centennial Park/GA Dome/Phillips Arena & Northside Drive, Due North of the Atlanta University Center (Spelman College, Clark Atlanta University, Morehouse College) & due East of Washington Park http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/recreation/washington.pdf (broken link) & Joseph E. Lowery Blvd.

It is an area that is redeveloping with new townhomes, condos & retail directly inside of the development & Single family Housing in the immediate area. It is located directly on a Marta Line MARTA - Getting There - Rail Stations (http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/stations/ashby.htm - broken link) and offers quick access whether via Highways or Streets to everything Atlanta has to offer.

The area is across the street from the largest consortium of Private HBCU's in the world Atlanta University Center, Consortium.

The immediate area used to be a hub of African-American business until segregation ended and Blacks vacated many of the immediate areas to move to other suburbs in the metropolitan area that were'nt open in previous years which left the area stagnant. Similiar to other inner cities it became a haven for the poor. The area is slowly recovering due to gentrification, renewed interest in the area & new retail, commercial and residential development that is continuing on.

Here is a guide listing the descriptions of the pictures. Enjoy!

1. Washington Park - Has a lovely Tennis Center with 8 courts & Swim Center with two olympic size pools that were built in 2003 (Brand new & under-utilized).
2. The Commons Townhomes at Westside Village with condos adjacent condos in the backround.
3. Nice end-unit townhome in the Westside Village subdivision.
4. The Ashby Marta Station steps away from the Westside Village.
5. The Savannah Homes by JLW Homes on across from Washington Park.
6. Washington Park Tennis Center.
7. Lawn green area at Washington Park.
8. House in the Savannah @ Washington Park subdivison by JLW Homes.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlanta Photos-neighborhood-2008-007.jpg   Atlanta Photos-neighborhood-2008-001.jpg   Atlanta Photos-neighborhood-2008-003.jpg   Atlanta Photos-neighborhood-2008-006.jpg   Atlanta Photos-neighborhood-2008-010.jpg  

Atlanta Photos-neighborhood-2008-011.jpg   Atlanta Photos-neighborhood-2008-018.jpg   Atlanta Photos-neighborhood-2008-009.jpg  

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 04-03-2008 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: additions...

Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 AM

242 posts, read 841,715 times
Thank you for this thread and the pics I hope we will see more from others. Thanks once again.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Nice pics. I & the Mrs (Secretary of the War Dept) will be visiting your fair city in about 6 weeks.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 89,060 times
I live in Atlanta. Those deer were in my yard a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlanta Photos-deer-my-neighborhood.jpg   Atlanta Photos-hpim0956.jpg  

Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Question Deer in the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beubanks View Post
I live in Atlanta. Those deer were in my yard a few months ago.
Do you live in Atlanta or a city outside of Atlanta in the general metropolitan area? I would be very surprised to see a deer inside of Atlanta proper.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 52,875 times
OMG That is so pretty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta