Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracie Perkins View Post
Anyone have pictures of Marietta?

Marietta Square is surrounded by various antique shops, stores, restaurants, etc., with a park with a large fountain in the center of the square. The outdoor seating areas of the restaurants are some of the few places around where you can bring your dog, too.

This is only a small section of the town square...

Twice a year there's an arts festival in the square as well. The tents line up around the park...

Here's the fountain in the town square...

Many year ago, the neighborhoods surrounding Marietta Square were mostly older restored homes, and a few apartments. In the last decade or so, many of the areas surrounding the square have fallen down quite a bit, and there is a rather large illegal immigrant population in the areas with dayworkers standing in groups just outside the square "zone", etc. Developers have recently started buying up land around this area and are now in the process of planning and/or building higher-end housing "mini neighborhoods" within walking distance of the square, so there will be some big changes in the next few years to this area, with most of the square thankfully being preserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:55 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,095 times
Thank you, thank you thank you!!! for the trip down memory lane!!! I loved each and every picture! From Baton Bob and the boys to the beautiful skyline photos.

Dang, y'all... I left the ATL for small town life in 2004 (I had my fill of too much traffic and road rage), but seeing those pictures makes me miss it! I think I'll plan a road trip down to catch up on some city nightlife....

Again - many thanks for the photos and the laughs, too.

Jbird22 in the Western NC mountains...

Old 04-12-2008, 01:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Default Bird Nests...

This one doesn't really say "Atlanta" by looking at it, but it's a good reference for comparing seasons from other parts of the country to Atlanta.

As of the time of this pic (4/12/08) the Robins are now making nests and getting ready to drop their eggs. Some of the other birds started about 2 weeks ago.

Took these on my back porch as the Robin was doing her thing today. They're not as bothered by people as some other birds so I was able to get relatively close (12ft) with the point-and-shoot to get these.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 AM

135 posts, read 785,932 times
LOL!!

I don't know why people think it's 80 degrees in Atlanta year around? No, its not nearly as cold as up north, and we get warm spells, but we often plummet into the teens at night in winter.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:05 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Default Decatur

Here is a link to some photos of one of my favorite neighborhoods in Atlanta...my own.Picasa Web Albums - Christopher - Decatur Stree...

Old 04-20-2008, 12:36 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Its interesting. It seems like the southside of many major American cities is the "bad, ghetto side" while the north being more properous, busy, and affluent. Certainly Chicagos like that, I believe Dallas is as well. Anyone know any major exceptions?
St. Louis is quite the opposite.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
We need the Big Chicken!!!!

Here's a public domain image of the Big Chicken!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:11 PM

288 posts, read 958,842 times

Blackburn park

Old 05-02-2008, 09:24 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Its interesting. It seems like the southside of many major American cities is the "bad, ghetto side" while the north being more properous, busy, and affluent. Certainly Chicagos like that, I believe Dallas is as well. Anyone know any major exceptions?
It sure seems like it !

My city (San Antonio) is very much like that. The Northern side is significantly poorer than the Southside where crime is extremely high. However, the situation there is improving.

Macon, Georgia is another example. The North side is affluent, and the East, West, and parts of the south are poorer

Old 05-03-2008, 08:00 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
This is a great thread and I should take some pictures myself or organize those that I have.

While doing some genealogical research I found this site and was very impressed. My family/kinfolk seemed to spread like kudzu through Gwinnett.
Go Here>>>
Gwinnett County Georgia Genealogy - GAGenWeb

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-03-2008 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta