Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times

Advertisements

Charlotte is another place where the southside is the desirable area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 18,313 times
Are there any pictures of hail or video in or around Atlanta?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
One theory or myth (especially for southern locales) is that the northside is cooler (temperature wise). These areas got "the cooler breezes first."

Another theory or myth is, because of U.S. geographic set-up, the northside of cities are usually on higher ground and "all ***** flows downhill."

Birmingham is opposite because the southside (and the ridges) is on the higher ground ("over the mountain", Mountain Brook, etc; Also, the ridges seperated the nicer southern section from smoggy, smoky Birmingham proper during its industrial past)

If you go to many major cities (and small towns), you will notice that the poorer neighborhoods are usually located in low-lying areas or the "flats." This was part of the process of segregation and racism as well. You can see the patterns in Metro Atlanta. Go to various areas, and notice the slope of the land. It is very obvious once you start looking:

Some examples...

1. In Decatur...the Swanton Heights/Allen Wilson area (this use to be the segretated African-American neighborhood of Ebster. Swanton Heights has its name because it located on a slight elevation of the land in the low-lying area).

2. In the City of Atlanta...many examples, but near downtown examples-the old Buttermilk Bottom neighborhood that is now the Civic Center area. Bedford-Pine, which is now the "Central Park" neighborhood. Centennial Place (the old Techwood neighborhood).

3. In Marietta, the area around Lemon Street.

*Here is something different...If you know anything about Montreal, you might know that a posh neighborhood for the rich English-speakers was located on a part of the island (city) that had a slightly warmer climate due to the geography of the land and proximity to the water!
In Milwaukee the higher crime neighborhoods are on the northside, however the neighborhoods and communities along the lake and on the far north side are affluent.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
Here's a couple of photos of the North Georgia towns of Dahlonega and Helen, since this is ahem, a photo thread after all (wink)...

Dahlonega is a small "gold rush town" that had a gold rush (duh) in the 1800s. The old City Hall in the town square is now a gold museum and it is surrounded in the square by shops, artist's galleries, crafters, and a couple of restaurants. Well worth a day trip.

Helen is about 30 minutes NE of Dahlonega and is a town that was remodeled to look like a Bovarian German village (well... sorta). It's small and kinda tacky/touristy, but if you're spending a whole 2 day weekend up in that area it's worth a stop (after you go to Dahlonega first).

Sorry for the © watermarks on some of my stuff by the way (someone asked about those in an email). I do some very limited photography work on the side and some of my images are sold elsewhere. Those that I sell I need to protect from theft online when I post, hence, the watermark.

Shot 1: Shops in Dahlonega:

Shot 3: Downtown Helen at Xmas time:

-end

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-28-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 PM

Dallas, Georgia is located about 35 miles West of the city in Paulding County. It's a small Southern town that is experiencing a decent amount of growth these days (to the dismay of the older residents). It is reached most easily by taking I-20 West of the city, then taking Highway 278 (Thornton Road exit) North/NW to the town. The downtown area has the basics and a couple of good restaurants, but many of the people drive to the next town East (toward Atlanta) - Hiram, because it has a huge shopping area of chain stores and restaurants along Hwy. 278, which you'll have to drive through to get to Dallas, anyway.

Note to those who are always asking about this area - this is not a fast commute to Atlanta in the mornings, and PM traffic is getting worse every year due to the growth.

This is the City Hall and clock tower in downtown Dallas:

One view of downtown Dallas (there are a few more shops across the street - out of this view):

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-05-2008 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Greg, this is a great thread - thanks so much for sharing.

I have never been to Paulding County, it looks pretty quaint in Dallas.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I have never been to Paulding County, it looks pretty quaint in Dallas.
It is. Some might say still a bit on the "redneck" side, but that's relatively speaking I guess. You'll still see pickups vs. Audis and Rebel flags here and there, but people aren't burning athiests in the town square (anymore - LOL).

The West metro side of Atlanta has been one of the last area to grow, as the North side had the most of the growth over the years, but it's so saturated up there now the sprawl is now spreading Westward, and Dallas has grown quite a bit over the last few years, at least in terms of subdivisions popping up in the area.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Rockmart, Ga.

The town of Rockmart is West of Atlanta by about 47 miles (downtown to downtown), located in Polk County. If you are driving along Highway 278 (Thornton Road) West bound, you will first travel past Powder Springs, then through Hiram, Dallas, and on to Rockmart next.

Though not a large town exactly, the downtown area is more established from years past, so it looks a bit larger than some of the other towns out in this area. Over time the downtown area basically dried up, but in the last couple of years or so there has been a push to remodel it and get businesses back in. It's working - though slowly.

There are a few antique type stores, professional businesses, a drug store, police station, and an Italian Restaurant (Frankie's) downtown among a few others, and the Silver Comet Trail also passes right by the downtown area with a small park and stream along side it.

Like other areas it's now in a growing stage, with typical chain stores like a Super Wal-mart having opened not long ago a couple of miles from the downtown area. The atmosphere is definately more laid back and rural, blue collar, and pickup trucks vs. BMWs. It's not for everyone, but some like it and have hopes it will one day be another Dahlonega type of town to draw in tourism.

Here's a pano of part of the downtown area:

A pano of the Silver Comet Trail and park just off to the side of downtown:

Last, one of the more renovated buildings downtown:

Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 PM

135 posts, read 785,965 times

To those of you who haven't gone to Anne's Snack bar for a "Ghetto Burger", I highly recommend it. It is the best burger I have ever had in my life!!

Inman Park

Downtown

Getting on MARTA

Traffic.. what Atlanta does best

Last edited by willrusso; 04-08-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrusso View Post
[IMG]Inman Park

Great shots, Will.

Isn't that one house (above) one of the coolest homes in Inman Park? During last year's Inman Arts Festival I think more people were paying attention to that house than some of the artist's booths! LOL

I love seeing places like this, though I'm glad I didn't have to foot the restoration bill for them (or pay to heat them in the Winter)

I've posted this one before, but here's my angle on that one home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta