Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:13 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
We passed by an old (now closed) Greyhound station a few weeks ago, I think in Birmingham. It looked like a post-apocalyptic movie set.
The reason is the Greyhound station moved into the Birmingham Intermodal Terminal about 4 months ago. It's housed in the same facility as its Amtrak, and mass transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 08:57 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
My Amtrack trips (Once to New Orleans and once to Washington, D.C.) actually are wonderful memories! Both were school trips overnight (think berths and staying up with your friends and eating in the dining car like the old Glen Miller song!)

The low point of the trip was boarding here in Atlanta. Brookwood Station (once an outpost for the old Southern Railroad) became our passenger station when Terminal and Union Stations (once proudly standing Downtown in the "Gulch") were torn down in the 1970's. The stations in Washington and New Orleans (both "Union" stations if I remember) were huge happening places (the Washington Union Station even had a shopping mall over the tracks!) In comparison, Brookwood Station felt like you were departing/ arriving in Hooterville (from the old Green Acres T.V. show, NOT the restaurant chain ;0) )

Yes, I know it was 20 plus years ago, but Amtrack was FUN!
Sucked for me. Only reason I even took it was because it was after 9/11 and I couldn't fly. Old hard seats, packed to the walls with screaming and sneezing/coughing kids, stopping every 10 minutes to let people on and off.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:48 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
My Amtrack trips (Once to New Orleans and once to Washington, D.C.) actually are wonderful memories! Both were school trips overnight (think berths and staying up with your friends and eating in the dining car like the old Glen Miller song!)

The low point of the trip was boarding here in Atlanta. Brookwood Station (once an outpost for the old Southern Railroad) became our passenger station when Terminal and Union Stations (once proudly standing Downtown in the "Gulch") were torn down in the 1970's. The stations in Washington and New Orleans (both "Union" stations if I remember) were huge happening places (the Washington Union Station even had a shopping mall over the tracks!) In comparison, Brookwood Station felt like you were departing/ arriving in Hooterville (from the old Green Acres T.V. show, NOT the restaurant chain ;0) )

Yes, I know it was 20 plus years ago, but Amtrack was FUN!
Our school safety patrols went to Washington, D.C. on the Crescent, which still boarded downtown in my day. Those were indeed good times.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:07 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Our school safety patrols went to Washington, D.C. on the Crescent, which still boarded downtown in my day. Those were indeed good times.
That's the exact route I was on except in the other direction and I hated every minute of it. Didn't help that the train was like 2 hours behind.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
Yes, the Greyhound station here is a pile of crap without compare.

Literally every bus station I've been to in Mexico is far, far nicer. Which is fitting, I suppose, since any of the long distance buses in Mexico are far nicer than Greyhound as well.

America sucks at both public transit and design of public spaces, and this station is sort of a really extreme example of where those Venn diagrams meet.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:50 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Yes, the Greyhound station here is a pile of crap without compare.

Literally every bus station I've been to in Mexico is far, far nicer. Which is fitting, I suppose, since any of the long distance buses in Mexico are far nicer than Greyhound as well.

America sucks at both public transit and design of public spaces, and this station is sort of a really extreme example of where those Venn diagrams meet.
Greyhound is a private company.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:30 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Greyhound is a private company.
The term public transit doesn't mean publicly owned; in many parts of the world private ownership is the norm (again, Mexico, and more broadly much of Asia).

Old 06-26-2018, 10:36 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
The term public transit doesn't mean publicly owned; in many parts of the world private ownership is the norm (again, Mexico, and more broadly much of Asia).
In the case of the United States, I think public transit refers to transit funded by public. Either way, Greyhound is not public transit in any sense.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:48 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
In the case of the United States, I think public transit refers to transit funded by public. Either way, Greyhound is not public transit in any sense.
I agree. Here in the states public transit generally refers to publicly-owned. In, say, Buenos Aires, public transit includes their local busses which are all privately-owned, heavily-utilized, competitively-priced, highly-efficient. . . .hmm there could be a correlation, but I digress...

Old 06-26-2018, 02:02 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
"Public Transit" does not refer to the ownership structure. Things like privately traded subway systems and companies like Greyhound and airlines are public transit.

Quote:
Public transport (also known as public transportation, public transit, or mass transit) is transport of passengers by group travel systems available for use by the general public, typically managed on a schedule, operated on established routes, and that charge a posted fee for each trip. Examples of public transport include city buses, trolleybuses, trams (or light rail) and passenger trains, rapid transit (metro/subway/underground, etc.) and ferries. Public transport between cities is dominated by airlines, coaches, and intercity rail. High-speed rail networks are being developed in many parts of the world.

Urban public transit differs distinctly among Asia, North America, and Europe. In Asia, profit-driven, privately-owned and publicly traded mass transit and real estate conglomerates predominantly operate public transit systems. In North America, municipal transit authorities most commonly run mass transit operations. In Europe, both state-owned and private companies predominantly operate mass transit systems, Public transport services can be profit-driven by use of pay-by-the-distance fares or funded by government subsidies in which flat rate fares are charged to each passenger. Services can be fully profitable through high usership numbers and high farebox recovery ratios, or can be regulated and possibly subsidised from local or national tax revenue. Fully subsidised, free of charge services operate in some towns and cities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta