Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 05:33 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,162,733 times

Advertisements

I figured this would happen..
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...xation-of.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 05:42 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,274 times
I want a valid explanation as to why the city of Atlanta couldn't have it, but now suddenly South Fulton (not even a year old) can.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:32 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
Ugh. Just Ugh.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,270 times
And 99% of the businesses that lobbied for this will still use Atlanta addresses.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:23 PM

764 posts, read 1,108,473 times
There are probably almost as many residents who have an Atlanta mailing address who don't live in the City of Atlanta as there are actual City of Atlanta residents. If you start at in the Northwest with the Vinings area and proceed east to Sandy Springs, then Dunwoody, then go south to Brookhaven Chamblee, Doraville and Tucker and all of the neighborhoods in North DeKalb north of the City of Decatur, then pick up the areas of unincorporated DeKalb just east of the Atlanta City limits in South DeKalb, these are all communities which the residents probably have an Atlanta mailing address. Next, you can include East Point, College Park, Hapeville (remember Delta has its corporate HQ in Hapeville and they certainly use an Atlanta address) and the areas which are now part of the City of South Fulton - all together, there are several hundred thousand people and there are many businesses like Home Depot, UPS Cox Communications and even the Atlanta Journal (which has its offices near Perimeter Mall) which lie outside of the City limits of Atlanta.

My point in all of this is why pick on the residents and businesses of the City of South Fulton when hundreds of thousands of others have an Atlanta address yet reside in another municipality. IF the U,S, Postal Service doesn't have a problem with it, why should anyone else?

Old 03-28-2018, 09:55 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Dislike.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
There are probably almost as many residents who have an Atlanta mailing address who don't live in the City of Atlanta as there are actual City of Atlanta residents. If you start at in the Northwest with the Vinings area and proceed east to Sandy Springs, then Dunwoody, then go south to Brookhaven Chamblee, Doraville and Tucker and all of the neighborhoods in North DeKalb north of the City of Decatur, then pick up the areas of unincorporated DeKalb just east of the Atlanta City limits in South DeKalb, these are all communities which the residents probably have an Atlanta mailing address. Next, you can include East Point, College Park, Hapeville (remember Delta has its corporate HQ in Hapeville and they certainly use an Atlanta address) and the areas which are now part of the City of South Fulton - all together, there are several hundred thousand people and there are many businesses like Home Depot, UPS Cox Communications and even the Atlanta Journal (which has its offices near Perimeter Mall) which lie outside of the City limits of Atlanta.

My point in all of this is why pick on the residents and businesses of the City of South Fulton when hundreds of thousands of others have an Atlanta address yet reside in another municipality. IF the U,S, Postal Service doesn't have a problem with it, why should anyone else?
My view on this extends to all areas that fall in this category, not just South Fulton.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:30 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post

The people who were gung ho about creating the city of Sandy Springs, tend to use Sandy Springs as the address. People who had nothing to do with it or don’t care, mostly use Atlanta, and most businesses use Atlanta.

Same thing for Dunwoody and Brookhaven.

The hypocrisy would be if somebody was anti-annexation into Atlanta, and a supporter of creating a new city, but then didn’t use that new city name as their address (it’s optional). And as their general identity. This would be some serious cherry picking of Atlanta.

I’m unincorporated and currently use Atlanta as my address, but if Vinings ever incorporated as a proper city, I would use Vinings. As a matter of principal and pride in my local city.

Just my take on it. Hope the people in this stupid new ‘city’ (who supported its creation) feel the same.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
We go live to a press conference at South Fulton...
Spoiler

Old 03-29-2018, 08:54 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I want a valid explanation as to why the city of Atlanta couldn't have it, but now suddenly South Fulton (not even a year old) can.
Maybe Deal won't sign it.

It really should be split. But then there is nothing logical about South Fulton.

It will probably be bankrupt in 10-15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta