Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 AM

431 posts, read 2,128,377 times

Advertisements

It seems like more people move into Atlanta as opposed to moving out. But has anybody moved away to another state, (where to?) and then decided that ATL was better? What did you miss about ATL? I am asking because we all know the grass is not always greener and sometimes we make haste decisions and then realize something was not so bad after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM

31 posts, read 122,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
It seems like more people move into Atlanta as opposed to moving out. But has anybody moved away to another state, (where to?) and then decided that ATL was better? What did you miss about ATL? I am asking because we all know the grass is not always greener and sometimes we make haste decisions and then realize something was not so bad after all.
Yes. I lived in Atlanta from 1991 thru 2006 and moved to Dallas,Tx. During this time, I lived in Sandy Springs for 7 years and in Dunwoody for 7 1/2 years. After working for MCI for 18 years, I was layed off and my wife and I did some 'soul searching' and decided to move to Dallas,Tx as a place to consider retirement since the real estate is cheaper and there is no state tax in Texas. Sounds perfect,right? Wrong!!! Its not that Dallas is a bad place to live; its not the place we imagined. For starters, even though the real estate is cheaper and there is no state tax, the property taxes are twice higher than Georgia. Second, the high energy cost due to derregulation in Texas since 2002,is 2 to 3 times higher than Georgia. Plus, it is awfully hot here 6 months of the year with no protection from the trees (may thru oct).

My wife and I plan to move back to Atlanta. We are aiming for 2009. We plan to buy a small condo in Dunwoody (cash) and find employment near by. That is the only way to survive in Atlanta. You have to live close to your job. Or at least have a reverse commute or have work hours during off peak traffic.

I miss the beautiful trees and scenary of Georgia. Believe, me there is no more beautiful state than Georgia with its big trees and great climate. The only negative thing is the traffic. Other than that, its a great city to live and retire.

I can not wait to move back.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 PM

595 posts, read 2,347,973 times
I left.
Not sure if I could come back.

Maybe if it were possible to own a house in Va. Highland and work 5 minutes away..I *might* consider it. Other than that, the corporations only hiring contractors for IT gigs and the traffic...there are better places out there if something other than the almighty dollar is important to you.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:59 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,231,348 times
Lived in Dekalb and Gwinnett Counties from 1982 to 1992. Moved away for 15 years and moved back this past August with my wife and kids. Business is what brought me back. Things have changed quite a bit in some ways, and stayed exactly the same in others. I missed the warm winters and more conservative political environment.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,274,499 times
It's weird....it's kind of fiscally liberal and socially conservative here - seems it's all about control. Not so much in the city but just statewide.

But I'm used to weird politics coming from New Orleans.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 PM

968 posts, read 2,622,488 times
Lived in Clayton Co from 2005 - 2007 and I'm on my way back this year. I have to admit having an awful commute for 1 year; I was worn down quickly. I did not take advantage of a lot of the amenties of the City because I was so tired.

I then moved to Central VA and while I really do like VA, it just never felt like home. As chaotic as ATL life is, it felt like home. I am transferring back with the same job and planning to be more centrally located between my work and the City.

I hope this time to be able to take advantage of the City and learn the patterns more to reduce the amount of stress I had when I lived there previously.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,231,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
It's weird....it's kind of fiscally liberal and socially conservative here - seems it's all about control. Not so much in the city but just statewide.

But I'm used to weird politics coming from New Orleans.
Compared to New England, Georgia is like a bastion of conservatism to me, and I'm not religious. Even the more liberal areas ITP are still nothing on the scale of the "blueness" of the Boston area where I lived. You could feel the political correctness in the air and the wacky left politics at the local and state level was everywhere.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 AM

431 posts, read 2,128,377 times
Hhmm....so far the responses don't seem overly optimistic. I'm debating myself whether to stay in GA. I need help. Except for "turtleman" doesn't seem like anybody else is running to come back to GA. Anybody.....hello...

Old 03-25-2008, 08:11 AM

13 posts, read 35,740 times
I have lived all over the world, and I mean all over. Let's start with California...LA, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Pasadena, Sacramento, San Francisco, jut to name a few. Then we can move up the coast, Portland & Eugene, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; and Anchorage, AK. Chicago, IL; New York City, Dallas, Salt Lake City, and the list goes on. I have actually lived in 38 states and in London, England, Barcelona, Spain; Rome, Italy; Warsaw, Poland. I worked for an international hotel marketing company and I was everywhere. After all that, I did come back to Atlanta. I'm in the suburbs and miss the city, but I love being back. My family is closer to me now (Lake Hartwell - gorgeous!), and the cost of living is CRAZY cheap compared to everywhere else. The school system is great (if you move to the right area), and you get a lot of house and yard for the money. It has become very conservative over the years, and I am a true blue democrat, but most people enjoy the political fight with me...and I love it. As more and more people move here for the climate, the job market, and the lower cost of living, I project it will become one of the top cities in the country very soon. Looking past the 100 degree summer days, I am thrilled to be back in Atlanta.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,274,499 times
I think the main reason you aren't hearing from people who have moved back is because there aren't a lot. I think Atlanta is in a situation where a lot of people who were born here never leave and a lot of new people are moving in. I do think there are some who move away - but they don't come back. Based on the growth of the population I'd say it's mostly the first two scenarious happening.

As someone who moved here from another state, Louisiana, I have to say that I love it in the city where I live and plan to stay. Before I lived in the city I lived in the suburbs and I was more ambivalent. Perhaps it was my particular part of the burbs but I didn't feel any real connection to the place. But that was just me. There are suburbs where people come out of their houses and make friends, etc. The people on this board will tell you where that is. I can only speak for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta