Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 AM

12 posts, read 14,647 times

Advertisements

If I am ever fortunate enough to be able to move out of Gwinnett County, I seriously doubt I would return. The demographics are changing and infrastructure is horrible. Crime is increasing and even the good schools can't rid themselves of gang violence. A move back to metro Atlanta would be ITP - never back to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:19 AM

539 posts, read 2,110,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aysm View Post
I have lived all over the world, and I mean all over. Let's start with California...LA, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Pasadena, Sacramento, San Francisco, jut to name a few. Then we can move up the coast, Portland & Eugene, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; and Anchorage, AK. Chicago, IL; New York City, Dallas, Salt Lake City, and the list goes on. I have actually lived in 38 states and in London, England, Barcelona, Spain; Rome, Italy; Warsaw, Poland. I worked for an international hotel marketing company and I was everywhere. After all that, I did come back to Atlanta. I'm in the suburbs and miss the city, but I love being back. My family is closer to me now (Lake Hartwell - gorgeous!), and the cost of living is CRAZY cheap compared to everywhere else. The school system is great (if you move to the right area), and you get a lot of house and yard for the money. It has become very conservative over the years, and I am a true blue democrat, but most people enjoy the political fight with me...and I love it. As more and more people move here for the climate, the job market, and the lower cost of living, I project it will become one of the top cities in the country very soon. Looking past the 100 degree summer days, I am thrilled to be back in Atlanta.

We moved to Georgia from CT about a year ago. I love Georgia and I never want to leave! I am so glad that we made the move but the cost of living is not cheaper than it was in CT. Yes, real estate is cheaper but not by all that much (depending on the area of Georgia you are looking in of course). I'm speaking in terms of Atlanta metro. Other than real estate the cost of living has been about the same for us. Gas, groceries, entertainment, clothing, utilities are all about the same as what we paid in CT. Especially since we are paying county and state tax. In CT it was just state tax.

With all of that being said, I wouldn't care if the cost of living was more expensive in GA. I love it and I never want to leave. IMO the way of life and the weather are just so much better here in the south. I'm happy to say the grass was greener!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:11 AM

293 posts, read 572,690 times
My wife is from Atlanta and we will be moving back from Maryland by the end of the year. We have been here in Maryland for about three years. For us the low cost of living (especially the housing) and being close to family are some of the draws for us.

I like the Atlanta area in that it is a big difference from Maryland. You can tell the difference in the small ways. For example, I work in the Baltimore area and I was walking into a building with my briefcase and files in the other hand. People just walked right by me and did not even try to help open the door for me....and it gets better, when I did make it inside a group of people were standing in the elevator looking at me as I tried to make it before it closed and let it close right in my face. I guess they did not want to endanger their fingers by pressing the hold button. I can go on and on with "small things" but I will not.

So I guess we too are people who cannot wait to move back.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:47 PM

431 posts, read 2,130,502 times
Default me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Wood View Post
If I am ever fortunate enough to be able to move out of Gwinnett County, I seriously doubt I would return. The demographics are changing and infrastructure is horrible. Crime is increasing and even the good schools can't rid themselves of gang violence. A move back to metro Atlanta would be ITP - never back to the suburbs.
Actually i live in Gwinnett County too, in the 'burbs and i am bored out of my mind. People tell me not to give up on GA until i try living in the city. I have a friend who moved up here from FL, for example, lived in Suwanee, was ready to call it quits and move back to FL, but then decided to try the city. He loves it and has since decided to stay. So maybe it's a matter of where in GA you live, and of course, your lifestyle. I need some action so the 'burbs aren't cutting it for me.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:02 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,286,587 times
I lived in Gwinnett for 3 years and I live in the city now. If you're a city person don't fight it. Just move to the city and pay the outrageous price for a home (actually better than other cities). You won't regret it.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,686,617 times
My friend moved out of ATL 2 years ago, and told me there was no mistake about it. Downtown near their job there would be a stray dog going around the street. One time it nearly forced them into the street. My friend putted up with that dog for 2 months and couldnt handle no more. Ofcourse the dog wasnt seen everyday in those two months... but it seem much like it. My friend friend said the dog pound has it now, and the dog was only downtown because its owner worked downtown and claim they had no where to place the dog. Have this happen often? Was this on the news... I dont know if my friend is telling the truth.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:05 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,286,587 times
Wtfmogbbq!?!?!

Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM

31 posts, read 122,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
My friend moved out of ATL 2 years ago, and told me there was no mistake about it. Downtown near their job there would be a stray dog going around the street. One time it nearly forced them into the street. My friend putted up with that dog for 2 months and couldnt handle no more. Ofcourse the dog wasnt seen everyday in those two months... but it seem much like it. My friend friend said the dog pound has it now, and the dog was only downtown because its owner worked downtown and claim they had no where to place the dog. Have this happen often? Was this on the news... I dont know if my friend is telling the truth.
This is the first for me. You mean to tell me that your friend left Atlanta because of a dog? You have got to be kidding. Tell him that the money he used to relocate could have been used for therapy...

Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 AM

293 posts, read 572,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleman View Post
This is the first for me. You mean to tell me that your friend left Atlanta because of a dog? You have got to be kidding. Tell him that the money he used to relocate could have been used for therapy...
I almost fell out of my chair laughing at this!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 AM

31 posts, read 122,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones 1999 View Post
My wife is from Atlanta and we will be moving back from Maryland by the end of the year. We have been here in Maryland for about three years. For us the low cost of living (especially the housing) and being close to family are some of the draws for us.

I like the Atlanta area in that it is a big difference from Maryland. You can tell the difference in the small ways. For example, I work in the Baltimore area and I was walking into a building with my briefcase and files in the other hand. People just walked right by me and did not even try to help open the door for me....and it gets better, when I did make it inside a group of people were standing in the elevator looking at me as I tried to make it before it closed and let it close right in my face. I guess they did not want to endanger their fingers by pressing the hold button. I can go on and on with "small things" but I will not.

So I guess we too are people who cannot wait to move back.
I know what you mean. Its those 'little' things that make all the difference and not too mention common courtesy. But at least you do not have bumperstickers that say ' You dont scare me Im from Texas' or 'We Texans wear boots and know how to win a bar fight'. That is one reason I want to leave Texas and move back to Georgia. I am sure John Wayne would be proud but you would figure that Texas culture in the 21st century might surpass this predictablity and cliche and be try to be more original..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta