Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:35 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,389,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Moore's Mill is a great example of how difficult it is to solve Atlanta's traffic woes. It was originally a country road that meandered following the natural contours, and today it's basically the same thing. It's almost impossible to widen it to 4 lanes, adding a bike lane would still be scary, there is no parallel residential route for bikes/peds, and it has major pinch points at places like Peachtree Creek.
Moore's Mill is also THE route from West Cobb to Buckhead. It's a tiny, winding narrow, two-lane road which carries near the same traffic load as Spring, West Peachtree, Juniper, 10th, and 14th through Midtown. And the width over Peachtree creek is about 20' concrete barrier to concrete barrier...

I would love to see it 4-laned with a thin median, but the likelihood of that happening is nearly zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt
The residents who live along it may complain about the traffic, but will will fight to widen it as well.
True. But, you'd probably fight your road being widened into your yard as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 06:52 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,974,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Moore's Mill is also THE route from West Cobb to Buckhead. It's a tiny, winding narrow, two-lane road which carries near the same traffic load as Spring, West Peachtree, Juniper, 10th, and 14th through Midtown. And the width over Peachtree creek is about 20' concrete barrier to concrete barrier...

I would love to see it 4-laned with a thin median, but the likelihood of that happening is nearly zero.

True. But, you'd probably fight your road being widened into your yard as well.
Do you have any traffic count data to back your claim?

For additional car lanes? YES. For a sidewalk? NO

Old 08-31-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do you have any traffic count data to back your claim?
From Traffic Counts in Georgia:

Moore's Mill (2 lanes) : 13,700 (estimated based on previous years, while I can assure you it has increased heavily in those years)
Bolton Rd (2 lane) : 16,100
Spring (4 lanes) : 16,200
West Peachtree (4 lanes) : 15,700
14th (4-lane divided) : 17,300
10th (4-lane and 3-lane) : 14,700
Memorial at Kirkwood (4-lane) : 15,700

So, Moore's Mill may not have exactly the same load, but it's getting close, with half the lanes, and narrow ones at that. Bolton, in the same area, and also with just two lanes, carries MORE load than many of the busy Midtown streets!

Quote:
For additional car lanes? YES. For a sidewalk? NO
You have sidewalks...seems like it would be odd to widen for more sidewalks...

Old 08-31-2018, 07:14 PM

2,307 posts, read 3,015,545 times
Quote:
From Traffic Counts in Georgia:

Moore's Mill (2 lanes) : 13,700 (estimated based on previous years, while I can assure you it has increased heavily in those years)
Bolton Rd (2 lane) : 16,100
Spring (4 lanes) : 16,200
West Peachtree (4 lanes) : 15,700
14th (4-lane divided) : 17,300
10th (4-lane and 3-lane) : 14,700
Memorial at Kirkwood (4-lane) : 15,700

So, Moore's Mill may not have exactly the same load, but it's getting close, with half the lanes, and narrow ones at that. Bolton, in the same area, and also with just two lanes, carries MORE load than many of the busy Midtown streets!

You have sidewalks...seems like it would be odd to widen for more sidewalks...

Not to mention, Moore's Mill is also an access point to I-75... If the city were to buy part of Cross Creek and create a new 75 exit there, I wouldn't throw a fit.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Not to mention, Moore's Mill is also an access point to I-75... If the city were to buy part of Cross Creek and create a new 75 exit there, I wouldn't throw a fit.
An exit where? Peachtree Battle? I'd much rather see a direct Collier exit.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:28 PM

2,307 posts, read 3,015,545 times
Quote:
An exit where? Peachtree Battle? I'd much rather see a direct Collier exit.
I was thinking from DeFoors through Cross Creek, so you wouldn't disturb the retail etc around Collier...

Old 08-31-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I was thinking from DeFoors through Cross Creek, so you wouldn't disturb the retail etc around Collier...
That would be an odd choice. A huge amount of the traffic in that area comes eastbound on Collier, south on Howell Mill, then south onto the interstate. The backup on Collier trying to make that trip can easily exceed half a mile, and often 2/3 of a mile. Adding a turn to send that traffic down another road then through a condo development in the opposite direction, would be strange. Even if the Collier ramp was only south entrance, north exit, it would be great. I don't know why it would disturb the retail.

However, a much more prudent and FAR less costly endeavor would be to make the less than half mile of Howell Mill between Chattahoochee and I-75 not be such a complete cluster. It can easily take ten minutes to get half a mile through there even at fairly normal traffic times, simply because of how badly the lights are timed. Even though Chattahoochee/Howell Mill has more lanes, I avoid it at all costs when trying to get to 75-S. I instead go twice as far in the opposite direction, because it's actually faster most of the time.

Last edited by samiwas1; 08-31-2018 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 12:35 PM

An electric cargo bike sold by a local (Kirkwood) bike shop in Atlanta? We are becoming a bona fide bike city.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:02 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,964,547 times
Have you ridden one?

Old 09-07-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Have you ridden one?
Not the cargo style, but I have test ridden an standard Edison. Very little effort at all and you have full control from pedal assist to full electric motor mode. Edison is cheapest E-bike you will find in Atlanta and currently $200 from every bike goes to Kirkwood Cares, a non-profit neighborhood committee that performs home repairs on fixed income residents to allow them to stay in their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta