Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 15,754 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the ATL area and have never been there. A lot of people tell me great things about the PTC, Tyrone, Newnan area. I love the homes (and prices) there, but I am a little concerned I'll be the only single person in town! I'm not a party animal, but I don't want to live in Mayberry either.

What do you thinK?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
If you're moving to Atlanta, Peachtree City might not be the best place if you're single and want to be around "single's stuff".

I wouldn't exactly call it "Mayberry", but it's "Mayberry-ish" in a way. Definately suburban, married, 2.5 kids, one dog, wood privacy fence and trampoline in back yard, kinda place. Some diversity in folks there, but it's pretty much family-oriented... as you'll find most of the suburban towns are here.

Seriously, if you want more of a singles type area, you have to move closer intown. Midtown, Virginia Highlands... or if you don't want complete inner-city, then Vinings, Smyrna, etc.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolaATL View Post
I am moving to the ATL area and have never been there. A lot of people tell me great things about the PTC, Tyrone, Newnan area. I love the homes (and prices) there, but I am a little concerned I'll be the only single person in town! I'm not a party animal, but I don't want to live in Mayberry either.

What do you thinK?????
Do not move to Peachtree City if you are single.

For singles, I recommend:
1. Intown Atlanta neighborhoods
2. Decatur
3. Vinings/Smyrna/Cumberland area
4. Buckhead/Brookhaven area
5. Perimeter/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area
6. Emory/Briarcliff/North Druid Hills area
7. Northlake/Tucker area

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:17 AM

78 posts, read 368,099 times
Peachtree City is nice, and I know several people that live there and love it, but they are all married with kids.

My husband and I lived in Vinings for a while before and after we got married. That is a great area for singles. Decatur is also another area I would consider. Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 AM

352 posts, read 1,425,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolaATL View Post

What do you thinK?????
Theres a reason why its cheap....................

You will be bored out of you mind if you live there and are single.

I would also be concerned about some of the construction quality.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
Theres a reason why its cheap....................

Define cheap. The last time I checked, the average cost of a home in PTC was over $350K.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:42 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,634 times
Agree with all of the above. Fine place to be married with kids, but not what I would call a great place for singles.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:29 AM

352 posts, read 1,425,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartini View Post
Define cheap. The last time I checked, the average cost of a home in PTC was over $350K.
I am talking sq ft.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 15,754 times
Thanks for the replies. I have secured a temporary place in the PTC area (by chance actually). That'll give me time to check out the Vinings, Smyrna, Decatur areas.

One last thing...

How would the commute to the airport from those areas be?

Thanks again for the input.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 14,727 times
Default PTC's airport commute is the best

You'll be spoiled by the 30 minute trip to the airport from PTC.

From the list of desirable single spots, Vinings/Smyrna probably have the best airport commute since they have easy access to the less-congested I285 southbound route. The Northeastern communities have to fight tough traffic to get to the airport. Intowners can take the Marta train to the airport; makes for a longer commute time, but more environment-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta