Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2006, 07:46 PM

29 posts, read 156,368 times

Advertisements

My family is looking at moving to the Atlanta area from Florida in the next 8 - 9 months. We drove through on our way to the mountains last weekend and only got to look at the southern and western areas of interest, but I was really enchanted with Peachtree City. Can anyone give me any info to help me decide if it's really a place to pursue? Specifically:

-My husband will be working RIGHT in the middle of downtown - but we are looking outside of Atlanta because of schools. How terrible is the commute going to be? Keep in mind....we are accustomed to Orlando traffic....

-Can we get a decent size house for aroung 300K? I'm thinking 4 bedrooms with a yard?

-Is there another city that we should be looking at and why? I've heard the commute from the south is a LITTLE easier, and I've read that Fayette county schools are fantastic....but I'd love to know if there is a better alrternative out there

Thanks for any advice. I hate not knowing anything about Atlanta and trying to make an intelligent decision for our whole family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 08:06 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjbuck View Post
My family is looking at moving to the Atlanta area from Florida in the next 8 - 9 months.

-My husband will be working RIGHT in the middle of downtown - but we are looking outside of Atlanta because of schools. How terrible is the commute going to be? Keep in mind....we are accustomed to Orlando traffic....

-Can we get a decent size house for aroung 300K? I'm thinking 4 bedrooms with a yard?
-----------------------------

Orlando traffic is different. You're talking tons of people trying to get to and from the various attractions, so it's very congested, but they're at a more leisured pace since many are vacationers. Atlanta rush hour - you're talking about tons of cars on the roads filled with people who are rushed to get to work on time (or running late), running errands before or after work and trying to get to their destination as quickly as possible, taxi-ing their kids to and from 6 soccer practices in-between jobs or store shopping, etc. Same TYPE of congestion as Orlando, just increase the overall area of it, and make everyone drive 75mph in a 55 zone, 6 inches behind the car in front of them. Yep - Atlanta.

The Georgia Regional Transit agency monitors the whole area and they're putting in park and ride express bus routes all the time all over. The buses will still get stuck in traffic as easily as cars, but you can get downtown and let someone else drive. Unfortunately, their map (here - http://www.xpressga.com/route_pages/XpressSystem.htm (broken link) ) doesn't seem to show a route in Peachtree City, though there is one in nearby Newnan - they're adding a lot of them though, so it's probably just a matter of time.

You can get a decent house for 300k. Peachtree City can be one of the pricier suburbs, but if you have a good real estate agent they should be able to find you something decent in that price range with 4BRs. I can't comment on the schools there, though I've HEARD they're decent.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
, and I've read that Fayette county schools are fantastic....but I'd love to know if there is a better alrternative out there

There is no such thing as a "fantastic" public school. Fantastically dumbed down yes. Fantastic in terms of a good education, no.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:05 PM

722 posts, read 3,317,166 times
coweta county has become a popular alternative to peachtree city. Check our senoia, shapsburg, and Newnan. all are seeing big changes and are being affected by Peachtree City's upscaqle feel. They are planning a development in coweta county called McIntosh Village consisting of 3000 homes from 250K- 2 Mill. Its right on the border with peachtree city

Old 12-16-2007, 07:54 AM

137 posts, read 739,583 times
Peachtree City is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. The schools here are extremely good. They are some of the best rated in the state (and in the country). The recreation here is excellent. There are some great neighborhoods for the low 300s. I particularly like Centennial. I know that there are some really great deals there right now on resales. I'm not an agent or anything so I don't have specifics on those -- just word of mouth. We've lived here for almost 3 years and we LOVE it. Traffic into the city is a bit rough during rush hour, but much better here than on the northside of town. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: