Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 17,802 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My family and I are going to be relocating to Georgia from Southern California in about 4 weeks. I am going to be traveling frequently for work and looking for an area that the commute from home to the airport will not be ridiculous.

I have been reading many different things online and looking for some honest opinions from people currently living in Georgia. We are looking to purchase a house in a nice friendly community. We hear that a lot of areas south of Atlanta have high crime rates and poor schools with the exception of Peachtree City. Is this a nice place with a decent commute to the airport?

A lot people recommend north Atlanta OP area (Canton, Woodstock, Alpharetta, Cumming, Holy Springs) due to low crime rates and good schools. I heard the commute can be terrible on the GA400 and and coming from Canton. Does anyone do this commute now? If so, how is it really?

What we are looking for:
1. House +4 Bedrooms, +3 Bath for in-laws, etc.
2. Would like a gated community/golf community
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute
4. Children(public school vs. private): Depends on school zones
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle: Suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? No
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Diverse friendly people. High-quality restaurants, bike paths, green space, Golf courses, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 09:51 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
When Not going to/from the Airport where is your work location?

Are your trips more out and back, or gone for the whole week?

Alot of Airport riders Grab the Subway out of NorthSpring Marta on GA400. (Also there are a few rush hour Commuter buses out of Cumming, and a Park&Ride @ GA exit 12, that goes to NorthSpring Marta subway station.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:04 PM

Flyonpa,

I will be gone for the week and back for the weekends. So only really making the commute twice a week. If I'm not traveling, I will be working in downtown Atlanta.

Do you think the OP area would be better than Peachtree city?

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2015, 10:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Technically Peachtree city is OTP also (Outside the Perimeter I285 highway) .

PTC is better for airport runs, Has good school, Can not speak much about PTC, I live on Northside..

GA400 and I575/I75 are very traffic choked. Both have Commuter buses that run into downtown, But they are in the same traffic mess as the cars.

Xpress...commuting made easy. Operated by the GA Regional Transportation Authority

GA400 has the advantage of being able to get on MARTA Half way to Atlanta, (You get a "Free" tranfer from the Commuter bus to the Marta Subway.)

Alot of the commute depends on when you have to be @ your desk, Early/Late Depart Cumming before 6am, or leave after 9am, you should not hit to much traffic.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:21 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
You should move to Fayette or Henry counties. They are close to the airport, have some of the state's best schools, and there's a beach nearby.(You have to pay though, and it's only open during the summer).

Old 01-17-2015, 10:48 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
I say move to the northern suburbs and take Marta to the airport

Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 PM

Are you located in the northern suburbs? Do you think Canton/Woodstock would be best?

Old 01-17-2015, 11:39 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
How much you want to spend on a house?

Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbeachguy View Post
Hello Everyone,

My family and I are going to be relocating to Georgia from Southern California in about 4 weeks. I am going to be traveling frequently for work and looking for an area that the commute from home to the airport will not be ridiculous.

I have been reading many different things online and looking for some honest opinions from people currently living in Georgia. We are looking to purchase a house in a nice friendly community. We hear that a lot of areas south of Atlanta have high crime rates and poor schools with the exception of Peachtree City. Is this a nice place with a decent commute to the airport?
Peachtree City is a very nice community that should most definitely be at and/or near the very top of your list of Atlanta suburbs for consideration if you are going to be commuting frequently to and from the Atlanta Airport and Downtown Atlanta.

Quote:
A lot people recommend north Atlanta OP area (Canton, Woodstock, Alpharetta, Cumming, Holy Springs) due to low crime rates and good schools. I heard the commute can be terrible on the GA400 and and coming from Canton. Does anyone do this commute now? If so, how is it really?
The commutes on GA 400 between North Fulton County (Alpharetta) or Forsyth County (Cumming) and on I-75 between Cherokee County (Woodstock/Holly Springs/Canton) can be really challenging and even just downright rough on many days, particularly if one has to commute to work between the hours of 6:30am-9am (as flyonpa mentioned) and commute from work between the hours of 4pm-6pm.

The often very rough rush hour commutes between the outer Northern suburbs and Atlanta (Downtown and/or the Airport) on major commuter routes like GA 400 and I-75 are major reasons why Peachtree City should be at and/or near the top of your list of Atlanta suburbs for consideration.

...That's even though Atlanta's Northern suburbs are extremely appealing for a number of reasons....Including excellent schools and being close to a multitude of retail, recreational, cultural and social amenities.

If you live in the very highly regarded Northern suburbs that you mentioned, heading into the office and leaving the office either before and/or after the worst of the morning and evening rush hours and/or heavy use of transit for either part or all of your commute into and out of Downtown Atlanta and to and from the Airport will have to be serious options....That's so that you can attempt to avoid experiencing the worst of the Atlanta-area rush hour, if a staggered commute and/or transit are viable options....Which given the very slim to non-existent transit offerings in many parts of the Atlanta metro area, transit may not necessarily always be a viable option depending on where one chooses to live.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:25 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
What we are looking for:
1. House +4 Bedrooms, +3 Bath for in-laws, etc.
2. Would like a gated community/golf community
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute
4. Children(public school vs. private): Depends on school zones
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle: Suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? No
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Diverse friendly people. High-quality restaurants, bike paths, green space, Golf courses, etc.

Thanks for your help!
South of the Airport, you should checkout ALL of Peachtree City, which is basically one big planned community built around a series of golf cart paths.

You should also checkout the Newnan area which also has some upscale living options in addition to having many retail options.

You should look south of the Airport in these areas because they provide a relatively really easy commute to and from the Atlanta Airport and because they probably provide the least painful rush hour commute to and from Downtown Atlanta of all of Atlanta's outer suburbs.

Some golf communities that you could checkout in the Peachtree City area are:

Flat Creek Country Club:
Flat Creek Country Club in Peachtree City, Georgia 30269 | Canongate Golf Clubs, Atlanta Golf Courses

Planterra Ridge Golf Club:
Planterra Ridge Golf Course, Peachtree City, Georgia 30269 | Canongate Golf Clubs, Atlanta, Georgia Golf Courses

Braelinn Golf Club:
Braelinn Golf Course, Peachtree City, Georgia 30269 | Canongate Golf Clubs, Atlanta Golf Courses

Whitewater Creek Country Club:
Whitewater Creek Country Club Fayetteville, Georgia 30315 | Canongate Golf Clubs, Atlanta Golf Courses

You should also checkout the Newnan area near the junction of I-85 and GA 34 in Coweta County which has some large upscale golf communities in an area of many retail amenities.

Some golf communities that you could checkout in Newnan/Coweta County are:

Summer Grove Golf Club
Atlanta Golf Course - Summer Grove Golf Club - Newnan, GA - Jemsek Golf

White Oak Golf Club
White Oak Golf Course Newnan, Georgia 30265 | Canongate Golf Clubs, Atlanta Georgia Golf Courses

Arbor Springs Plantation
Custom Homes - Golf Community - Arbor Springs Plantation

Canongate 1 Golf Club
Canongate 1 Golf Course - Sharpsburg, GA 30277 | Canongate Golf Clubs, Atlanta Golf Courses |

North of Atlanta, in the Woodstock area, some golf communities that you checkout are:

Town Lake Hills Country Club:
Towne Lake Hills Golf Club

Eagle Watch Golf Club:
Eagle Watch Golf Club in Woodstock, Georgia 30189 | Canongate Golf Clubs, Atlanta Golf Courses

The Golf Club at Bradshaw Farms is a golf community that you could checkout in the Woodstock/Holly Springs area:
GA Golf Clubs in Woodstock | The Golf Club at Bradshaw Farms

Further north of Atlanta in the Canton area, you could checkout golf communities like Bridgemill Athletic Club, Woodmont Golf Club and Lake Arrowhead.

Bridgemill Athletic Club:
Welcome to BridgeMill.com, Home of Canton's Ultimate Community!

Woodmont Golf Club:
Atlanta Golf Course | Woodmont Golf Club

Lake Arrowhead (large gated mountain lake community with manned security at the gates):
Lake Arrowhead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta