Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 AM

201 posts, read 1,070,855 times

Advertisements

I am just curious...with my research on real estate, schools, amenities and in talking with realtors, Fayette County Chamber, etc. it seems to me the PTC is an excellent choice when deciding on a community in the Atlanta area. From what I can gather, the schools are excellent (exceed state scores, small class sizes), the housing is reasonable - ranging from $200s - millions with large or small lots with great resale, little traffic, family friendly, wide range of outdoor activities offered, etc. Reasonably expected amenities in terms of shopping and restaurants but for more upscale and diverse selections - a drive up north is typically 30 - 45 minutes.

Based on my observations on this forum, PTC is not typically recommended unless one is specifically looking down south. Why is that? As one who has not yet experienced the Atlanta traffic, I would *assume* that living in PTC and driving north is against the typical traffic patterns? Or is the geographic location so inconvenient to those working in the city that places such as Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell, Alpharetta are much more convenient despite the horrid traffic I keep reading about?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
I think there are couple of reasons PT City is left off the list. The first is location. Downtown Atlanta is really about 40 minutes with no traffic so a rush hour drive up would not be fun. If your going to Midtown add 10 extra minutes, Buckhead another 15. I don't really have an estimate for a commute to the perimeter but I'm sure it would be long. If you already have a job at the airport or on the southside then it's a good place to be but points north are a little far.

The second is shopping. This doesn't actually matter to me but I know it's very important to a lot of people. Shopping options are improving but there ist still a lot more on the north side.

Schools are excellent, traffic's much better and it's affordable, but it it's far away.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:26 AM

985 posts, read 5,759,052 times
PTC is convenient if you work in airport. Driving north is not against traffic since a lot of people who will try to drive from PTC to downtown for work as well. Furthermore, Most job centers in Atlanta is in northern side of downtown (midtown, buckhead, Alpharatta, Marietta and Dunwoody).

Shopping is not as good as in the north side. Trader's Joe, whole's Food and other speciality stores are mainly located north of downtown.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
Good point jxu, as of right now there aren't any Trader Joe's or Whole Food's on the southside (the closest is in Atlanta, just east of downtown). As someone who does the majority of my shopping at these stores for health reasons PTC would almost not even be an option. I don't know what people down there do for an alternative to the main stream super markets.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:50 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,855 times
Thanks for your input! Having never lived by a Trader Joe's, I will have to check out what I am missing. Luckily, my local Kroger carries most of my organics so I very rarely need to go to lmy local alternative grocery.

I will just plan monthly trips into the city for my *special* shopping needs as it seems (again just from my research) that most of my needs will be met in PTC.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 PM

154 posts, read 605,858 times
If you don't work north of, say, Midtown PTC is a great suggestion.That said, I grew up there and I'd have to say I'm not sure where you're finding these homes for $200K unless it's a townhouse or in Wynnemeade. PTC is quite expensive, and in fact, Fayette County had the highest median home price in the metro until Forsyth overtook it. Schools are great (again, some of the best in the entire area) but it's true that shopping does leave something to be desired. The reason it lacks shopping now is because there are only about 110k people in the county. That said, Fayette Pavillion, in Fayetteville, (which is surprisingly far) is a giant shopping center with everything you'd need with any regularity.There is an Avenue shopping center in PTC which is quite nice and there used to be a Harry's Farmers Market there. I'd imagine that when Whole Foods or Trader Joe's comes south of I-20 Fayette County will be at the top of their list. The incomes in the area are certainly high enough to support them. The density just isn't there yet.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:54 AM

117 posts, read 392,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartini View Post
I am just curious...with my research on real estate, schools, amenities and in talking with realtors, Fayette County Chamber, etc. it seems to me the PTC is an excellent choice when deciding on a community in the Atlanta area.

--- PTC is exactly that. Maybe the Exclusivity Mafia is making sure the word doesn't get out so they can protect their little enclave.

Based on my observations on this forum, PTC is not typically recommended unless one is specifically looking down south. Why is that? As one who has not yet experienced the Atlanta traffic, I would *assume* that living in PTC and driving north is against the typical traffic patterns?

-- True, it is different, but people live everywhere and commute everywhere, so unless you work unconventional hours in Metro Atlanta, or work in your own county, you're sucked into the traffic vortex.

Or is the geographic location so inconvenient to those working in the city that places such as Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell, Alpharetta are much more convenient despite the horrid traffic I keep reading about?

Not necessarily. Just depends on your destination. Gas, somehow, though, seems to be frequently cheaper north of the city . . . ?

Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 AM

88 posts, read 511,716 times
On another topic besides work commute, it would be more difficult to access parts of the city for recreation/pleasure. Say you want an upscale dinner or theatre. Most are located north. And you would be commuting through South Atlanta. If it's no big deal and you have no desire to access the north parts of the city, (shopping, events and restaurants) then this would not affect you.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:26 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
Default Del Webb community near Peachtree City

My wife and I are looking for a warmer place to hide during the winter months than is afforded on Cape Cod. One such option we’re interested in is a new +55 development called Sun-City Peachtree. It’s a Del Webb community, being built on 1,700 acres and incorporating 3,400 homes. All kinds of amenities to keep us older folks happy…

Any way, I’ve seen many (many) lovely homes on the market within Peachtree City for prices ranging from the low $200s to whatever. I suspect a home in Sun-City will run over $300k and wonder if any folks out there have an opinion as to whether buying into the new development is a wise decision.

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited by RichCapeCod; 02-15-2007 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta