Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:44 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,777,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
We all have different experiences in life. I have lived in not-so-nice areas and this has made me a lot more cautious. Sometimes things that happen in life change us. Still, when I lived in Atlanta before all that, I didn't like that I was the only person who was walking at night. This was around the Varsity area and then walking to downtown near to the G.S.U. area. After one particular incident where some men in a car stopped to ask me where I am going, etc., I said to myself maybe it's time I stop walking at night. HAHA. I had no car and so I couldn't do much at night. There was no uber lol (not that I could have afforded it back then anyway).

It's kind of annoying you know...the panhandling. I have always thought, "If they can hang out near to parking lots or in parking lots and panhandle, thieves can do the same and you get mugged." Even in broad daylight people get mugged in Atlanta. G.S.U. students are constantly reporting crimes occurring in the area. I just think it's better to be safe than sorry but everyone is entitled to their beliefs.
Im that way because I'm comfortable in Atlanta. If you take a similar area in another city where im not used to I would feel the same as you. Since I live in O4W and work downtown I get used to that type of environment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 PM

272 posts, read 273,224 times
I've lived in Atlanta for over 10 years. When people ask me where to go for bars and nightlife, I don't have an answer. I guess the closest thing we would have is Virginia Highland, but that's not downtown.

Atlanta is in desperate need for a bright lights district.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,317,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
I've lived in Atlanta for over 10 years. When people ask me where to go for bars and nightlife, I don't have an answer. I guess the closest thing we would have is Virginia Highland, but that's not downtown.

Sounds like you just don't care about nightlife and that's fine.
There is no way you could care and live somewhere for 10 years and only know one place.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,372,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post

Machu Picchu is a world famous destination. There are people that go to Peru just for that. Nobody is going to Atlanta just to hit up midtown unless it's the closest big city to them.

It couldn't have been more obvious that that statement was jest.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:34 AM

37,955 posts, read 42,352,426 times
Quote:

Soooo you don't know about Midtown??? I mean it's a large area and there's not really a defined nightlife strip there (unless you count Crescent Avenue) but there's enough throughout that makes it a perfectly good answer.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:34 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,649,801 times
Quote:

Statements like this are why you have no credibility here. You've lived in Atlanta for over 10 years and you can't answer with Little Five Points, Edgewood Avenue, East Atlanta Village, Crescent Avenue, 10th and Piedmont, Buckhead Village, Downtown Decatur, or any of the other nodes around town?

Old 03-04-2017, 02:53 PM

EAV, Buckhead, and Decatur are not downtown.
Edgewood is not walkable and tourists would find it feeling unsafe.
10 and Piedmont has collapsed (R.I.P Outwrite)
Little Five Points is the best you mentioned, but still not tourist friendly.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:10 PM

Also, you're missing the point. I'm sure we could agree on specific parts ITP that are a decent experience, but that's not how tourists work. It's only natural to go downtown and for Atlanta that means Hard Rock on Peachtree or thereabouts, where they will promptly see that there's nothing to walk to and everything closes past 10 PM.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:37 PM

9,815 posts, read 8,030,895 times
Quote:
Also, you're missing the point. I'm sure we could agree on specific parts ITP that are a decent experience, but that's not how tourists work. It's only natural to go downtown and for Atlanta that means Hard Rock on Peachtree or thereabouts, where they will promptly see that there's nothing to walk to and everything closes past 10 PM.
There's a reason the large Downtown hotels (and some smaller ones) employ Concierge's, and that the internet exists. I routinely run into out of towners having a great time all over the place, so I'm not buying it.

If people are stupid enough to visit a place they've never been without availing themselves of ready assistance or checking things out online, then that's on them.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
There's a reason the large Downtown hotels (and some smaller ones) employ Concierge's, and that the internet exists. I routinely run into out of towners having a great time all over the place, so I'm not buying it.

If people are stupid enough to visit a place they've never been without availing themselves of ready assistance or checking things out online, then that's on them.
Just so we're clear, the reason Atlanta doesn't need a bright lights district is because of the Internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta