Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:10 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,760,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I dunno...research usually does not.mention a lot of the places other than midtown Nd buckhead. Usually it is anything history related, the aquarium, coca-cola,...half of the places I know about came from online and the other half by word of mouth. Come to think of it, half of the areas I know about are kind of...not alone but there arent too many bars/clubs/eating out places located too near. But I have a car so its.fine with me. For those who use uber, they will also survive. Other than midtown and buckhead....i remember seeing little five.points listed but I dont know if.they are open past 1 a.m.

When I envision nightlife, I also.see a lot of people walkimg around outside at late hours. I think of bright buildings and lots and lots of.light. To me this adds to the livelyness of a city. In Atlanta I see a lot of people park and head right into a said establishment. I dont see too many people walking around but then again, most people only work in atlanta and live in the suburbs.i know that his is changing but t is still very much so.
Atlanta Nightlife Areas/Districts

Fulton Industrial : If you want low budget strip clubs and a sex club. They stay open until 4am. Hookers everywhere (not into hookers )

Castleberry Hill: If you are at CAU or you are AA between 21-25. Walker St is included is you want low key nightlife. Couple small lounges in that area. Fav spot there is Match Lounge

Va-Hi: if you are into the bar scene
Buckhead: bar scene
Edgewood ave. Hipster, street party type vibe
Auburn ave: Overflow from Edgewood.
10th and Piedmont: Gays
Crescent ave: Bars/ clubs
Lindbergh Center: Clubs/etc
Ponce near Murder Kroger: Bars/Hipster vibe
East Atlanta Village: Lesbians/Hipsters
Howell Mill Rd: Preppy white people who dont want to go to Buckhead
Cheshire Bridge Rd: Strip clubs and other crazy stuff
Krog St Market be popping in the evening at that bar
Atlantic Station. If you are looking for something low key

Etc etc

Last edited by fieldm; 02-10-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 04:10 PM

139 posts, read 127,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Ok, so you mentioned whole neighborhoods with homes, businesses, groceries stores etc, that happen to have a cluster of neighborhood bars in them or bars scattered about. Even ATL has that ( EAV, Edgewood etc).

That is different then something like Bourbon Street or the Vegas Strip that are almost if not exclusively night life areas. This is what people think downtown Atlanta needs for conventioneers so they don't have to research and travel to our neighborhoods for bars/nightlife.
I know the discussion is about a cluster of bars areas. Not one or two or three random bars/clubs. We talking about night"life". I'm proving you wrong but you are rather challenging again. I can point you to the specific clusters in each neighborhood but this is well beyond the point and specific op question plus the triviality of your intentions. New York is not the best example since ATL is more a big suburban type city with limited urban spaces unlike NYC. And the ATL case doesn't has to be in the magnitude of NOLA's Bourbon either, specially from scratch.

Also yes an entertainment district should be near hotels because wether they are visitors for pleasure or in business you want them to spend more money in the city by patronizing whatever establishment that can add up a spice to their stay at the same time without having to go to far from their busy day. Is definitely an advantage.Is a Win-Win for both parties plus the business.

In the other hand there's a few areas in ATL that do have excellent spots yet not accessible unless you drive the point is to cater to the pockets of those who visit that can mingle with the locals as well,there's the profit. Hell I remember when my car broke down Uber adds up and trains stop running. and that was right when I moved to Downtown thinking at" oh at least I'll be where everything's at" .Well I found out the hard way!

But as many of y'all said Underground went down for no profits but Buckhead (well known for party by many visitors went down even with profits) There's no lack of space but neither is in the best interests of the city to have to use police resources to keep an acceptable security level which can easily be paid off with profits but hey.
We want it and need it and they know it,but don't care.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:52 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,950,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I have zero problem finding fun places to go in any new city I visit. Your mileage may vary.
Right. I've eventually found stuff to do in any city I've been to but some cities (downtowns specifically) have easier to find options than others. Downtown Atlanta is down on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm gonna go to Peru, but I'm not going to Machu Picchu because it's not right outside my hotel.
Machu Picchu is a world famous destination. There are people that go to Peru just for that. Nobody is going to Atlanta just to hit up midtown unless it's the closest big city to them.

Conventioneers aren't on vacation. They don't drop money on airfare and lodging just to explore a city. The whole point is to have a convenient, fun area to unwind after spending hours walking from room to room and exhibit to exhibit where you can meet some other people.

This has kinda gotten derailed but the point still stands. There just isn't that much to do downtown relative to other areas in Atlanta. Yea people can go to midtown or Edgewood, etc. but then they're leaving downtown

Old 02-11-2017, 07:51 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,377,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Downtown isnt dangerous. You might be asked for money several times or offered some drugs but it isnt dangerous. Yes it feels dangerous at night to the typical sheltered suburban person or to someone who isnt used to being around a plethora of black homeless people and thugs but its not bad. Just walk around there looking crazy and you will be ok
We all have different experiences in life. I have lived in not-so-nice areas and this has made me a lot more cautious. Sometimes things that happen in life change us. Still, when I lived in Atlanta before all that, I didn't like that I was the only person who was walking at night. This was around the Varsity area and then walking to downtown near to the G.S.U. area. After one particular incident where some men in a car stopped to ask me where I am going, etc., I said to myself maybe it's time I stop walking at night. HAHA. I had no car and so I couldn't do much at night. There was no uber lol (not that I could have afforded it back then anyway).

It's kind of annoying you know...the panhandling. I have always thought, "If they can hang out near to parking lots or in parking lots and panhandle, thieves can do the same and you get mugged." Even in broad daylight people get mugged in Atlanta. G.S.U. students are constantly reporting crimes occurring in the area. I just think it's better to be safe than sorry but everyone is entitled to their beliefs.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Atlanta Nightlife Areas/Districts

Fulton Industrial : If you want low budget strip clubs and a sex club. They stay open until 4am. Hookers everywhere (not into hookers )

Castleberry Hill: If you are at CAU or you are AA between 21-25. Walker St is included is you want low key nightlife. Couple small lounges in that area. Fav spot there is Match Lounge

Va-Hi: if you are into the bar scene
Buckhead: bar scene
Edgewood ave. Hipster, street party type vibe
Auburn ave: Overflow from Edgewood.
10th and Piedmont: Gays
Crescent ave: Bars/ clubs
Lindbergh Center: Clubs/etc
Ponce near Murder Kroger: Bars/Hipster vibe
East Atlanta Village: Lesbians/Hipsters
Howell Mill Rd: Preppy white people who dont want to go to Buckhead
Cheshire Bridge Rd: Strip clubs and other crazy stuff
Krog St Market be popping in the evening at that bar
Atlantic Station. If you are looking for something low key

Etc etc
I swear...some of your posts really are hilarious. I always thought Fulton Industrial and Cheshire Bridge were the same area. I like how you put you're not into hookers in parenthesis haha. Doesn't Atlantic Station close early?

Castleberry Hill, maybe one day I will try that area. Think I've heard of it before. Edgewood/Auburn I found out through you the night I went to Joystick late. It was neat. Crescent Ave I will look up, Krog St. Market also. Wow...didn't know that about Howell Mill Rd. When I lived in Atlanta, I used to take the bus and all I remember seeing is fast food joints and a big Wal-Mart. Will have to research that too.
Ponce near the Kroger that is no longer there, I like that area. Very diverse. Never know what you are going to get.

Well thanks for the list! I will definitely research it. You know me typical suburbanite...I'll try it as long as there's good parking.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Right. I've eventually found stuff to do in any city I've been to but some cities (downtowns specifically) have easier to find options than others. Downtown Atlanta is down on that list.

Machu Picchu is a world famous destination. There are people that go to Peru just for that. Nobody is going to Atlanta just to hit up midtown unless it's the closest big city to them.

Conventioneers aren't on vacation. They don't drop money on airfare and lodging just to explore a city. The whole point is to have a convenient, fun area to unwind after spending hours walking from room to room and exhibit to exhibit where you can meet some other people.

This has kinda gotten derailed but the point still stands. There just isn't that much to do downtown relative to other areas in Atlanta. Yea people can go to midtown or Edgewood, etc. but then they're leaving downtown
Forgot to respond. Well let me tell you a story. I once was walking downtown and a suv pulled up and stopped. There were maybe 3-4 guys and one of them started talking to me from the window. Not to be conceited, but I am attractive and so the first thought was that they were trying to get my number and they did get a number. One of them got out the car and I started walking and he walked with me. We were talking bla bla bla. Come to find later on in the short conversation they needed directions to get to somewhere that was literally right around the block. Me being me I told them how to get there and exclaimed how easy it was to find. They wanted me to get into their car to show them. This is where I really got a bad feeling. I looked at the driver and there was something about him I didn't trust. I feel they could have been trying to lure me into their car to jump and mug me. I couldn't figure out why my instincts told me no don't do it but I remembered after a while the driver. Anyway...good day to you all. Might not be able to respond. Got work today and need a little break from c.d. forum.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:45 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,864,916 times
Interesting that folks who don't live downtown (or in Buckhead, Midtown or along Cheshire Bridge) are the ones lamenting the lack of night life in downtown, Buckhead, Midtown or along Cheshire Bridge.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:35 AM

4,249 posts, read 4,767,396 times
112 before they moved it if you're 21-25

Vegas Nights if you're 20s to early/mid 30s perhaps and don't mind driving to Marietta area

Visions if you really want to experience the best nightlife Atl has to offer, be where everyone in Atlanta parties and love the songs "Before I Let Go" and "Set it Off"

.......ooops. Wrong decade. Haven't been out in a while.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:15 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,760,989 times
Quote:
I swear...some of your posts really are hilarious. I always thought Fulton Industrial and Cheshire Bridge were the same area. I like how you put you're not into hookers in parenthesis haha. Doesn't Atlantic Station close early?

Castleberry Hill, maybe one day I will try that area. Think I've heard of it before. Edgewood/Auburn I found out through you the night I went to Joystick late. It was neat. Crescent Ave I will look up, Krog St. Market also. Wow...didn't know that about Howell Mill Rd. When I lived in Atlanta, I used to take the bus and all I remember seeing is fast food joints and a big Wal-Mart. Will have to research that too.
Ponce near the Kroger that is no longer there, I like that area. Very diverse. Never know what you are going to get.

Well thanks for the list! I will definitely research it. You know me typical suburbanite...I'll try it as long as there's good parking.
Fulton Industrial blvd is 20 west before you get to Six Flags. Cheshire Bridge Rd is in the Buckhead area.

People go to Atlantic Station if they want to go out but they want to be in a chill environment and not have to worry about parking or large crowds. Most of the restaurants close around 2am but that Irish Bar is open until 3am. Suntrust Park will have the same vibe

Old 02-11-2017, 01:22 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,864,916 times
Quote:
One of them got out the car and I started walking and he walked with me. We were talking bla bla bla. Come to find later on in the short conversation they needed directions to get to somewhere that was literally right around the block. Me being me I told them how to get there and exclaimed how easy it was to find. They wanted me to get into their car to show them. This is where I really got a bad feeling. I looked at the driver and there was something about him I didn't trust. I feel they could have been trying to lure me into their car to jump and mug me. I couldn't figure out why my instincts told me no don't do it but I remembered after a while the driver. Anyway...good day to you all. Might not be able to respond. Got work today and need a little break from c.d. forum.
Excellent decision not to get in that car, Dreamer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta