Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:26 PM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 992,366 times

Advertisements

I'm hungry!

Currently, thinking of categories such as:

Ribs

Burgers

Steaks

Pasta

Ethnic

Seafood

Pizza

Charm/Romantic

Salads

Best Value

Beer (OK, I love a good beer! )

Anything else?

Thanks!

ABM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:50 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,755 times
The Vortex for burgers.

The Woodfire Grill on Cheshire Bridge has gourmet pizza to die for! Also Fellini's is good for more casual fare.

Taco Mac (multiple locations) has best beer selection in town. The Brick Store in Decatur for more exotic/international beer and atmosphere.

IMHO, best steakhouse in town is Bone's (Buckhead). I haven't been to Rathbun Steakhouse yet, but hear it's wonderful.

Best Value-that's easy! Waffle House! For dinnerish food, the Varsity!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:29 PM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 992,366 times
IMO, hands-down, the best pizza in the Smyrna/Vinings area is St. Angelo's off Atlanta Rd.

Small indescript place, but, my oh my, what GREAT pizza! My wife and I particularly liked the 2-ton Tony family tray. Pleny to take home. Salads are great (inexpensive), as well.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:08 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,327 times
Okay... here is a topic I can talk about for a while....
Ribs----- HMMMM.... tough one... Most of the ribs I eat are outside of the city. There is a place up by Mall of Georgia.. actually attached to the mall, but outside. I can't remember the name of it, but it is has the best ribs I can think of. (Don't slam me for being too lazy to find the name... just remember.. mall of ga, outside... beside barnes and noble.

Burgers - I don't know or even agree that they are the best, but the Varsity is far and away the most popular.

Steaks - Mckendricks, by a landslide, imo. This is up by Perimeter mall on Ashford Dunwoody Road.. Park Place shopping center.

Pasta - Hmmm.. dunno there

Ethnic - Hmmm... again, don't know

Seafood - Atlanta Fish Market. I haven't had it all, but this place is fantastic.

Pizza - There is a hole in the wall on Chamblee Tucker Road at I-285. It is in the same shopping center as a big lots. You would never know it. The place doesn't advertise or anything. As a matter of fact, the sign just says... "pizza". People in that area know about it though. This place is a pizza joint that is owned by a guy who used to own a pizza joint in.. you guessed it... NYC. It is almost the best pizza I've had since New York. But.... because there is an eternal NY style vs. Chicago Style pizza, I have to mention the best Chicago style as well... Nancy's on Ponce De Leon, just outside Midtown. This stuff is outstanding. Carry out only, but it is worth heating up if you live far outside the city.

Charm / Romantic - South of France on Cheshire Bridge Road... (I think thats right). I've been once.. I took my wife on our anniversary once. It's very authentic and is quite small. Again, it's in a nondescript shopping center and you would have to be looking for it. The menu was fantastic as well. A close second would have to be Sambuca's on Piedmont Road in Buckhead.

Salad's - Hmmmm I'd have to say Sweet Tomatoe's... there are several of them, but I'm sure there is something better.. but this place is pretty good. You make your own salads.

Value - Probably agree with cmmom about varsity and waffle house.

Beer's - Hmmm.. not sure there

Anything else - For an unforgettable experience... go without eating for a few days then go to Fogo De Cao's (i don't know if i spelled it right). This place is on Piedmont Road. It's a brazilian steakhouse. They bring you great food.. and lot's of it. They have something to the tune of 15 different meats that they serve. I almost killed myself eating in there. This is a common problem in there, so they have concocted this dessert that has some sort of enzyme that helps digest food more quickly. It may be my favorite all around dining anywhere I've been.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:20 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,755 times
I forgot--for pasta, try Antica Posta in Buckhead.

Ethnic-best upscale Chinese IMHO, is Chopstix near Chastain Park. My hubby loves the Sea Bass, and I like the Cha-Cha Chicken (sounds cheesy, but is fabulous).

Best Mexican is probably Nuevo Laredo.

Best Thai is Tamarind Thai, although I haven't been to the new location yet and don't know how different it is from the old.

There is a Persian place at the corner of Roswell Rd. and Abernathy in Sandy Springs that has awesome kabobs, although I can't remember the name right now.

I went with my husband to Nikolai's Roof for our anniversary this year. Although it's Russian, it's really upscale French. Great view, but I can't really say it was worth all the $$$ (at the top of the downtown Hilton).

Pampas Argentinean Steakhouse in Alpharetta is really good too and unique (Old Milton Parkway).

Old 02-17-2008, 04:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Charm/Romantic>>

Dante's Down the Hatch
Fondue, Jazz
Dantes Down The Hatch - A jazz and fondue experience

Agnes and Muriel's
Located in Midtown/50's decor
Agnes & Muriel's Restaurant - Good Southern Cooking

Best Value

Moe's Southwest Grills
Moe's Southwest Grill | Menu

Mama Fu's
Mama Fu's Asian House | Mama's Menus (http://mamafus.com/menu.aspx - broken link)

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-17-2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 04:57 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times
Best BBQ: Fat Matt's/Daddy D's (Piedmont/Grant Park)

Best Italian: Localino (Highlands)

Best Mexican: Nuevo Laredo (Chattahoochee Road)

Best Burritos: El Myr (Little 5 Points)

Best Beer Selection: Twains (Decatur)

Best Tapas: Eclipse di Luna (Buckhead)

Best Breakfast: Thumbs Up Diner (Edgewood Ave, East Point, Avondale Estates)

Best Thai: Surin (Highlands)

Best Persian/Middle Eastern: Persepolis (Sandy Springs)

Best Wings: Dugan's (Ponce)

Best Seafood: Atlanta Fish Market (Buckhead)

Best Pizza: Grant Central East (East Atlanta)

Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM

179 posts, read 557,479 times
Okay, I've already posted on several threads about food....but here I go again:

burgers - George's in Virginia-Highlands. The burgers are fantastic! It's a little hole in the wall restaurant/bar, but is also very family friendly, which can be a plus if you have a family (just *try* to take your tots into Vortex....)

Mexican - go to Cantina La Casita in East Atlanta. IMHO, wayyy better than Nuevo Laredo, and a better atmosphere as well, if you like the East Atlanta kind of scene (plus there's not a mile-long wait.)

Ribs - not that I ever eat them, but I hear that The Shack on Main in East Point has great ribs

Asian - there's a little place called Malaya on Collier Rd just past Howell Mill. It's in a strip mall, so it's easy to miss, but holy COW they have the best sesame chicken you could ever want. The lunch menu is super cheap as well. They have Chinese/Thai/Malaysian on the menu.

Breakfast - I like American Roadhouse in Virginia Highlands. Waffles with strawberries - yum!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:42 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
The Marietta Diner is a very good general restaurant in Marietta, Open 24 hours, and has some very good pasta dishes as well as excellent hamburgers. Although I would second a later recommendation for the Vortex for burgers.

I tend to like Scalini's in Smyrna for Italian.

Pizza? Pizzaria Fortunato's in Southern Smyrna on the E/W Connector. I also like Bella's Pizzeria on Atlanta Road and Paces Perry.

Charm/Romantic? The Vinings Inn is a nice little restaurant in central Vinings on Paces Mill Road not far from the Vinings Jubilee.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:58 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,580 times
OK, for each category I will respond with something local to me. In other words, I might find something better somewhere else but the drive isn't worth it...
BBQ: Fox Brothers on Dekalb Ave

Ribs: Fox Brother's BBQ

Burgers: Vortex on Moreland, hands down.

Steaks: Have never been able to top Ruth's Chris Steak House

Pasta: Osteria 832 on N Highland

Ethnic: Depends on the ethnicity.
Comfort Mexican: Los Bravos on Dekalb Industrial.
General comfort Chinese: Golden Buddha.
Thai: Top Spice.
Indian...don't have a favorite but I liked A Touch of India, which is a total dive in the Toco Hills Shopping Center.
Greek: Mediterranian Grill on N Decatur.

Seafood: No where. Coming from the Greater New Orleans Area I have yet to find a satisfactory seafood restaurant....

Pizza: Fellini's on McLendon

Charm/Romantic: My house! Seriously, I haven't been on a romantic date since I got married a decade ago. But romance was never my style...not in the traditional sense. Now, charm...I'd say I found Six Feet Under in Grand Park to be a charming place to eat. That rooftop deck that looks over the cemetery makes me think of Mardi Gras parades and parties.

Salads: Can't say. I always go to where there's a salad bar so I can make my own when I crave a good salad. With Kroger would open a salad and soup bar the way Albertson's does.....

Best Value: Golden Buddha's lunch menu

Beer (OK, I love a good beer! ): Brick Store in Decatur Square. Best Belgian draught selection ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta