Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 54,643 times

Advertisements

I would love to eat at a Korean restaurant while I'm visiting ATL in a couple of weeks. Anyone have any recommendations? I want the authentic food with all the kimchee and other small dishes included. I would love to eat some good bibimbap with the red chili sauce!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 02:16 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Where will you be staying? All the "good" Korean spots are north of downtown Atlanta. Here are a few suggestions:

Han Il Kwan
5458 Buford Highway, NE
Atlanta, GA 30340
(770) 457-3217

Here are two local review of the restaurant: The Blissful Glutton: Hanil Kwan: Buford Highway (Doraville)
and Han Il Kwan (broken link)

In fact I just had lunch there today If you have never had a dolsot bim bim bap, give it a try. Its like the traditional one but it it served on a hot stone. Let the bottom of the rice get nice and crunchy and then eat it!

I have wanted to try Honey Pig. I know - it sounds like a really funny name for a restaurant but the review sounds awesome! The Blissful Glutton: Honey Pig: Duluth

There are lots of Korean restaurants up and down the "Buford" Highway area.

Happy eating!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:46 PM

We are actually staying with my in-laws in Watkinsville and going into ATL one day. I miss good Korean food, so I told my husband I wanted to go some place with Korean food. We live in Charlotte, and I'm originally from Hawaii. There really is no Korean restaurants here. Thanks for the good suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Where will you be staying? All the "good" Korean spots are north of downtown Atlanta. Here are a few suggestions:

Han Il Kwan
5458 Buford Highway, NE
Atlanta, GA 30340
(770) 457-3217

Here are two local review of the restaurant: The Blissful Glutton: Hanil Kwan: Buford Highway (Doraville)
and Han Il Kwan (broken link)

In fact I just had lunch there today If you have never had a dolsot bim bim bap, give it a try. Its like the traditional one but it it served on a hot stone. Let the bottom of the rice get nice and crunchy and then eat it!

I have wanted to try Honey Pig. I know - it sounds like a really funny name for a restaurant but the review sounds awesome! The Blissful Glutton: Honey Pig: Duluth

There are lots of Korean restaurants up and down the "Buford" Highway area.

Happy eating!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
There's a man who owns/runs a convenience store near where I live and his wife is the owner of a Korean restaurant I think in Chamblee. I'll try to find out the name of it next time I see him next week. All the pics he's shown me shows that it apparently draws a mostly Korean crowd, too.

Searching on "Yelp", you can see that most are concentrated: Korean Atlanta | Yelp

Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,189 times
I'd like to find a real authentic Korean place in Atlanta. Maybe I'll try the Han il Kwan.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
I'd like to find a real authentic Korean place in Atlanta. Maybe I'll try the Han il Kwan.
If you go for lunch during the weekday, the bento boxes are a steal! You get your main entree with all the pan chan (side dishes) and fried rice (it's ok), a fried dumpling, a small salad, vegetable tempura, 2-3 pieces of a cucumber roll, chop chae (noodles) and soup for all under 10 bucks! IMO, the pan chan is much better than the additional items that come in the bento box.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen704 View Post
We are actually staying with my in-laws in Watkinsville and going into ATL one day. I miss good Korean food, so I told my husband I wanted to go some place with Korean food. We live in Charlotte, and I'm originally from Hawaii. There really is no Korean restaurants here. Thanks for the good suggestions!
If you are originally from Hawaii, I have an additional suggestion for you.

Waikikie Hawaiian BBQ
2160 Briarcliff Road
Atlanta, GA 30329
(404) 638-1115

I know that the spelling is odd, but that's how the owner chose to spell it. I think that the owner lived in Hawaii for a while and it reminds me of having lunch at a local jaunt in Hawaii.

Here is a review: The Blissful Glutton: Waikikie Hawaiian Barbecue: Atlanta

Don't let the lukewarm review scare you off. It's a great little spot, affordable and where else can you get spam? I haven't tried the spam thing yet!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 AM

Thanks you so much for pointing this out to me! I never thought to ask about Hawaiian restaurants because I thought the odds of having one would be slim to none! We will probably check this out on our trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
If you are originally from Hawaii, I have an additional suggestion for you.

Waikikie Hawaiian BBQ
2160 Briarcliff Road
Atlanta, GA 30329
(404) 638-1115

I know that the spelling is odd, but that's how the owner chose to spell it. I think that the owner lived in Hawaii for a while and it reminds me of having lunch at a local jaunt in Hawaii.

Here is a review: The Blissful Glutton: Waikikie Hawaiian Barbecue: Atlanta

Don't let the lukewarm review scare you off. It's a great little spot, affordable and where else can you get spam? I haven't tried the spam thing yet!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Don't ask and you shall receive anyway! If I didn't think others were better about blogging on food in Atlanta - I would start my own blog for fun.

Let me know if I can steer you in any other cuisines.

Nah forget - I am getting hungry typing this response.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 PM

135 posts, read 785,829 times
There's nothing but Korean places up and down Buford Hwy. All the signs are either in Korean or Spanish lol. There are also lots of Korean BBQ places in Duluth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta