Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:46 AM

83 posts, read 136,325 times

Advertisements

People using the term "white flight" are not racist, they're describing demographic facts, although you might argue that people actually white-fleeing have racist motivations...

The term "white flight" was something I learned in history class in middle school, describing what happened after the Civil Rights movement. Segregation policies were ruled illegal, so when blacks and minorities started moving from rural areas into the cities, whites moved away from the cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 20,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowDriver View Post
People using the term "white flight" are not racist, they're describing demographic facts, although you might argue that people actually white-fleeing have racist motivations...

The term "white flight" was something I learned in history class in middle school, describing what happened after the Civil Rights movement. Segregation policies were ruled illegal, so when blacks and minorities started moving from rural areas into the cities, whites moved away from the cities.
People tend to move away from crime. Everyone wants to live in a safe environment.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:11 AM

722 posts, read 1,338,805 times
Fist off, Suwanee is no where near going down hill to the poster who mentioned "low income and high crime rate". That's a bit extreme if you ask me. Suwanee is your typical premiere suburb...Mall of GA, Sugarloaf mills, and proximity to The Forum, and other little suburban shopping area. Toss in scattered country clubs, John Wieland homes and great schools and you have the finished product.... And yes, Suwanee did have White Flight....And that does exist people. It's jus the nature of the game. But, Gwinnett has now become a poster for diversity and has been holding up pretty well. Huge Asian population in Suwanee/ Duluth...Not so sure about the Forsyth part of Suwanee. I remember Gwinnett always comparing itself to Fairfax County in DMV area back in the day, but looks like we didn't do the things they did to keep up, otherwise, Pleasant Hill area, "Gwinnett Village" wouldn't be in the state it is now.

I will say, the Forsyth part of Suwanee seems a tad nicer, only b/c I think people hype it up, and it gets the runoff of 400 "Golden Corridor". They are pretty behind in terms of where Suwanee and sections of Northern, NE Gwinnett are. I notice anytime I go in that area, it's like where Suwanee(Gwinnett side) was 10 years ago. 1 lane roads that haven't been widened, no sidewalks, not to mention "Forsyth" is still shedding the stigma. But it is diversifying. A lot of my colleagues who moved to Atlanta from Chicago or Missouri or elsewhere all moved to Forsyth, and aren't aware of the history or the energy felt up there with people of color.....

But that's also how migration of people works. S. Forsyth, Cumming, Suwanee(Forsyth) are the new OMG areas, and within 10-12yrs it will diversify and people who moved there will start complaining on how it's changed and is going down hill, and will move elsewhere. It's a giant cycle....

Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 AM

5,620 posts, read 5,977,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post

I will say, the Forsyth part of Suwanee seems a tad nicer, only b/c I think people hype it up, and it gets the runoff of 400 "Golden Corridor". They are pretty behind in terms of where Suwanee and sections of Northern, NE Gwinnett are. I notice anytime I go in that area, it's like where Suwanee(Gwinnett side) was 10 years ago. 1 lane roads that haven't been widened, no sidewalks, not to mention "Forsyth" is still shedding the stigma. But it is diversifying. A lot of my colleagues who moved to Atlanta from Chicago or Missouri or elsewhere all moved to Forsyth, and aren't aware of the history or the energy felt up there with people of color.....
My dentist is up in Cumming and I drive through southern Forsyth on McGinnis Ferry and Old Atlanta to get to 141. I definitely see what you mean. It's not as developed (yet) and has a lot of room for growth. Much of Suwanee in Gwinnett is like Johns Creek and area in terms of how much land has already seen development.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 AM

712 posts, read 705,725 times
Suwanee in Forsyth is a bit more affluent than on the Gwinnett side. Suwanee Forsyth median household income was $110k in 2010 vs. $90k in Gwinnett. And its a bit more white though that is changing rapidly in Forsyth and Gwinnett. The Forsyth section of Suwanee is pretty clearly going to end up looking a lot like Johns Creek in terms of demographics and income. John's Creek Elementary is already majority Asian and Riverwatch Middle will be in the not too distant future.

Most people are unaware of Oprah's visit to Forsyth thirty years ago which is fine since it's as relevant to the current day as a Walkman is.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,548,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
My dentist is up in Cumming and I drive through southern Forsyth on McGinnis Ferry and Old Atlanta to get to 141. I definitely see what you mean. It's not as developed (yet) and has a lot of room for growth. Much of Suwanee in Gwinnett is like Johns Creek and area in terms of how much land has already seen development.
when's the last time you went to the Dentist?

The route you mention is now one huge construction zone! crazy growth everywhere around here now (in S. Forsyth)...

Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 AM

5,620 posts, read 5,977,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
when's the last time you went to the Dentist?

The route you mention is now one huge construction zone! crazy growth everywhere around here now (in S. Forsyth)...
Last week actually! I did go through a lot of construction, it's not like there's no activity, there's actually a lot, it's just not as developed yet. I didn't mean Forsyth was still farmland and forests, it just isn't subdivision after subdivision after subdivision.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:36 PM

22 posts, read 54,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Last week actually! I did go through a lot of construction, it's not like there's no activity, there's actually a lot, it's just not as developed yet. I didn't mean Forsyth was still farmland and forests, it just isn't subdivision after subdivision after subdivision.

True, much of Forsyth's development is still patchy. Areas close to highway exists are relatively dense, and as you move further away it's more forest and farmland.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,156,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Suwanee in Forsyth is a bit more affluent than on the Gwinnett side. Suwanee Forsyth median household income was $110k in 2010 vs. $90k in Gwinnett. And its a bit more white though that is changing rapidly in Forsyth and Gwinnett. The Forsyth section of Suwanee is pretty clearly going to end up looking a lot like Johns Creek in terms of demographics and income. John's Creek Elementary is already majority Asian and Riverwatch Middle will be in the not too distant future.

Most people are unaware of Oprah's visit to Forsyth thirty years ago which is fine since it's as relevant to the current day as a Walkman is.
As these schools become more asian or super majority asian, and I think they will, I wonder if the white population will see that as a good or bad thing - and if so how will they react - stay put, private school route, or start moving to less diverse public schools in Cumming, North or West Forsyth.

Not trying to stir the pot as some might think but just curious.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:43 PM

12 posts, read 20,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
As these schools become more asian or super majority asian, and I think they will, I wonder if the white population will see that as a good or bad thing - and if so how will they react - stay put, private school route, or start moving to less diverse public schools in Cumming, North or West Forsyth.

Not trying to stir the pot as some might think but just curious.
Definitely a good thing. Asians are generally well educated and hard working. Asian neighborhoods also tend to have higher property values and little to no crime. Probably why John's Creek is the safest city in GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta