Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:51 AM

22 posts, read 54,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
So I'm a racist because I point out that the term white flight, which apparently you had never heard of, is a well known phrase, based on the well known fact, that whites flee areas when they feel blacks and or other, groups that don't look like them are coming. Really! Perhaps as Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men movie) said you can't handle the truth!

I did use 2013 city data info because that was the most recent on the site but Suwanee median household income is now(based on Trulia) $108,000, Duluth is $73,000 and wait for it Cumming is $82,000. Folks in Suwannee are also more highly educated with 65% being college educated vs 49% for you "hood" in Cumming.

I'll take my chances in Suwanee, with its great quality of life and great schools - all rated 10, for both the short and long term and if your happy in Cumming then all the best!

Really need to drop the name calling though.

I don't think Whites do that. Maybe that's just my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,156,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG6 View Post
I don't think Whites do that. Maybe that's just my experience.
Most whites having been doing it for years and continue to do so, but if you choose to believe otherwise your head is clearly in the sand. I didn't just invent the "white flight" term it is based on a well documented pattern of behavior. It started in the 50's with whites fleeing the city (too many blacks) for the suburbs and continues to this day, in various forms and iterations.

You should "google" it and maybe you will learn something.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:08 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,548,241 times
White flight is very common in the Chicago area.

Trying to determine what a neighborhood will look like in the future is anyone's guess. What I've noticed is that it's becoming more diverse along/around the I-85 corridor (Including Suwanee). Will that drag down property values in the future? Probably. Will the Forsyth side do better? Probably.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,090,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Q: Is it White Flight? or High Tax Flight?

Just wondering if its across all areas (Guess it mean is it High/Middle Class of any race trying to get out?

Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Q: Is it White Flight? or High Tax Flight?

Just wondering if its across all areas (Guess it mean is it High/Middle Class of any race trying to get out?
No, White Flight has been occurring in the Chicago area for over 60 years. Long before the Illinois financial problems. The South Side of Chicago was once all white and a very nice place to live. Then blacks moved in and everything went to hell so all the whites moved to the South suburbs and then the blacks followed and the South suburbs went to hell so the whites moved again to the Southwest, West, Northwest and Northern Chicago suburbs. Many also moved to Northwest Indiana and that's where we're at today.

btw, this isn't just me being racist, it's what actually occurred. I witnessed it firsthand, I was part of it. Why did blacks moving in cause crime to skyrocket, property values and schools to decline? I'm not sure, but that's probably an entirely new thread.

Middle class Blacks are now actually leaving the city en masse due to the crime, high taxes, lack of jobs and terrible schools. A lot of them are going to Chicago suburbs, Atlanta, Houston, etc. so I guess you could say that we're currently witnessing Black Flight.

Watch the dates and the South side turn black. This is white flight in action! (Just wish the map included the suburbs)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...925-story.html

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...t-economically

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/chica...-middle-class/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_917848.html

Last edited by flamadiddle; 05-17-2016 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Trying to determine what a neighborhood will look like in the future is anyone's guess. What I've noticed is that it's becoming more diverse along/around the I-85 corridor (Including Suwanee). Will that drag down property values in the future? Probably. Will the Forsyth side do better? Probably.
The diversity you are speaking of is primarily being driven by asian indians and koreans not blacks. Are you suggesting that indians who are very well educated hard working professionals, and koreans who are equally hard working entrepreneurs, are going to bring crime and wreak havoc on the quality of life, and bring down property values in Suwanee/Gwinnett?

I don't think so but tell me what I am missing and how you are justifying your dubious prediction.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
The diversity you are speaking of is primarily being driven by asian indians and koreans not blacks. Are you suggesting that indians who are very well educated hard working professionals, and koreans who are equally hard working entrepreneurs, are going to bring crime and wreak havoc on the quality of life, and bring down property values in Suwanee/Gwinnett?

I don't think so but tell me what I am missing and how you are justifying your dubious prediction.
No, not suggesting that at all... but I am seeing more black population in that area. We were at the Suwanee walmart the other day and as we left, I asked my wife, are we in Suwanee? Also, I know someone that works in that area and lives near the mall of Georgia and they mentioned that the area around the mall is "changing". Purely anecdotal evidence, but I've seen this movie before and it did not end good. Doesn't mean this one will end the same way.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
No, not suggesting that at all... but I am seeing more black population in that area. We were at the Suwanee walmart the other day and as we left, I asked my wife, are we in Suwanee? Also, I know someone that works in that area and lives near the mall of Georgia and they mentioned that the area around the mall is "changing". Purely anecdotal evidence, but I've seen this movie before and it did not end good. Doesn't mean this one will end the same way.
Still pretty thin evidence to me, last time I checked, Walmart tends to cater to low - moderate income folks, and the Mall of Georgia is in Buford.

Think I'll stay put for now but thanks for the warning!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Why would you post a question, and then argue/deny any and all answers that don't fit your view?

Old 05-17-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
No, White Flight has been occurring in the Chicago area for over 60 years. Long before the Illinois financial problems. The South Side of Chicago was once all white and a very nice place to live. Then blacks moved in and everything went to hell so all the whites moved to the South suburbs and then the blacks followed and the South suburbs went to hell so the whites moved again to the Southwest, West, Northwest and Northern Chicago suburbs. Many also moved to Northwest Indiana and that's where we're at today.

btw, this isn't just me being racist, it's what actually occurred. I witnessed it firsthand, I was part of it. Why did blacks moving in cause crime to skyrocket, property values and schools to decline? I'm not sure, but that's probably an entirely new thread.

Middle class Blacks are now actually leaving the city en masse due to the crime, high taxes, lack of jobs and terrible schools. A lot of them are going to Chicago suburbs, Atlanta, Houston, etc. so I guess you could say that we're currently witnessing Black Flight.

Watch the dates and the South side turn black. This is white flight in action! (Just wish the map included the suburbs)
That's very interesting. Never knew the south side of Chicago used to be predominantly White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta