Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,155,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG6 View Post
Why would you post a question, and then argue/deny any and all answers that don't fit your view?
I'll challenge anything that doesn't make sense or is contrary to what I believe to be true, and if that bothers you then move on. You won't be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 04:44 PM

22 posts, read 54,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I'll challenge anything that doesn't make sense or is contrary to what I believe to be true, and if that bothers you then move on. You won't be missed.
Well, then. It's too bad your beliefs are just plain wrong, and rooted in racism. But that's okay. All opinions matter.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:49 PM

16,736 posts, read 29,679,541 times
Quote:
I don't think Whites do that. Maybe that's just my experience.

Willful ignorance must be a beautiful thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight?wprov=sfsi1

Old 05-17-2016, 04:58 PM

12 posts, read 20,045 times
I believe the question asker might be black, which is why their opinion is so strong in that respect. But I do agree that white flight is a thing. "Flamadiddle"s Chicago example is an excellent one. Suwanee is nice right now, but demographics are changing for the worse over there and very soon will be high crime, low income.

Wilful the Asian/Indians you mentioned are moving out of Suwanee and Duluth, and in to Alpharetta/John's Creek these days.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxifloxacin View Post
I believe the question asker might be black, which is why their opinion is so strong in that respect. But I do agree that white flight is a thing. "Flamadiddle"s Chicago example is an excellent one. Suwanee is nice right now, but demographics are changing for the worse over there and very soon will be high crime, low income.

Wilful the Asian/Indians you mentioned are moving out of Suwanee and Duluth, and in to Alpharetta/John's Creek these days.
Really - I see a lot of Indians moving into my neighborhood and it ain't cheap. And I think you are wrong where things are headed but you have a right to be wrong.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,167,063 times
I used to think that white flight was purely coincidental, and that people were just using common sense and moving out when the crime rates started getting higher and property values started dropping. I mean, houses get older and require maintenance, and that naturally drops the value, right? So the demographic changes.

A dozen years down here has changed my mind about it. My own view of where I personally want to live hasn't changed, but I've met more people down here who seem to want nothing to do with a mixed population (doesn't matter what the "mix" might be) than I imagined existed.

I guess my idealistic midwestern suburban upbringing (where race "wasn't an issue" mainly because the population was so homogeneous and I didn't give it much thought) has been sorely tested.

One of the reasons I'm glad I moved down here.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I used to think that white flight was purely coincidental, and that people were just using common sense and moving out when the crime rates started getting higher and property values started dropping. I mean, houses get older and require maintenance, and that naturally drops the value, right? So the demographic changes.

A dozen years down here has changed my mind about it. My own view of where I personally want to live hasn't changed, but I've met more people down here who seem to want nothing to do with a mixed population (doesn't matter what the "mix" might be) than I imagined existed.

I guess my idealistic midwestern suburban upbringing (where race "wasn't an issue" mainly because the population was so homogeneous and I didn't give it much thought) has been sorely tested.

One of the reasons I'm glad I moved down here.
Your "honesty" is quite refreshing and you have accurately described what happens down here. However rather than own up to it, a lot of people on this board would, rather shoot the messenger and resort to name calling, and invent bogus theories as to why they have or are considering moving on.

Again, much appreciated!

Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well, then. It's too bad your beliefs are just plain wrong, and rooted in racism. But that's okay. All opinions matter.
There you go again - rooted in racism - really? My experience with people like you is that when you don't either know of have the facts, your type, as the last resort, always resorts to name calling - typical.

BTW I know what you are but I'll keep it to myself - I've got more class than you.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:55 PM

12 posts, read 20,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
There you go again - rooted in racism - really? My experience with people like you is that when you don't either know of have the facts, your type, as the last resort, always resorts to name calling - typical.

BTW I know what you are but I'll keep it to myself - I've got more class than you.
Tbh you've done more name calling than anyone here, and are awfully defensive and combative for someone who is so sure they're right.
But that's none of my business. Stay classy

Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxifloxacin View Post
Tbh you've done more name calling than anyone here, and are awfully defensive and combative for someone who is so sure they're right.
But that's none of my business. Stay classy
If expressing a phenomenon rooted in fact "white flight" makes be defensive and combative in your eyes than that's on you not me. In terms of name calling I don't go there and if the other side persists with that type of nonsense than I just move on. Maybe it's time for you to do the same because I just did with you.

Dropping the mic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta