Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 10:41 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,272,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
(And just FYI ... more than HALF the state's population lives in Metro Atlanta, which means more than HALF the legislature is made up of METRO ATLANTANS. And they ALL voted for the RELIGIOUS LIBERTY BILL. Funny how that works huh?
My state rep, Rich Golick (R - Smyrna), voted against it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:46 AM

32,066 posts, read 37,046,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Good grief. They just don't know when to give it up.

The Golden Age of Atheism can't come soon enough.
They're not about to give up. This battle is just beginning.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:25 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,726,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They're not about to give up. This battle is just beginning.
And it will only get more fierce the more they loose. In the war of fanatical ideologues, anything against their teaching is a total war.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:45 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,208,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
The Golden Age of Atheism can't come soon enough.
Speaking as an agnostic, atheists are just as bad as theists. How can they possibly know?

My reps in both the state House (Golick, R, District 40) and Senate (Tate, D, District 38) voted NO.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,779,201 times
The only thing that saved us from this vote was Atlanta. If Atlanta wasnt in Georgia this bill would have passed.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 AM

32,066 posts, read 37,046,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Speaking as an agnostic, atheists are just as bad as theists. How can they possibly know?
rc, that reminds me of the old joke.

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's really a dog.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:57 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,208,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
rc, that reminds me of the old joke.

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's really a dog.

Ba dum dum. I tried to rep you, but was denied.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:08 PM

9,924 posts, read 7,370,268 times
Hey I consider myself an atheist, and I also don't know if there's a God, at least in some kind of form. But there's no evidence for it, thus no reason to believe in it, thus, atheism.

So I am agnostic as well, as I think everyone should be, even Christians. Nobody knows what God wants, what God says or said, or whether God even exists. Period. People who claim to have such knowledge, are liars. Pure and simple.

If you believe in God, you should freely admit that you just have faith, not any concrete evidence of anything. That's at least an honest position that I can at least respect.

I just don't respect people using God to mistreat their fellow humans. If you choose to believe in something, then let it be a personal faith that guides you to love and benevolence and selfless good will towards all. Then I would commend you even as an atheist. Not, "God spoke to me and told me that he wants you to come to church this Sunday." No, no he didn't.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,272,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Stawman!

"Atheism" just states that there's no good evidence for the existence of deities and suggests we should withhold belief in things (e.g. deities, devils, fairies, unicorns, ghosts, dragons, etc.) for which there is no good evidence. In other words, atheism isn't disbelief or denial of gods, but rather a lack of belief in gods.

This message brought to you by:

https://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism

Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM

10,393 posts, read 11,679,362 times
On Friday, the Atlanta Journal Constitution posted an opinion piece by center-left columnist Jay Bookman that talks about the real and obvious motivation for the continuing push for religious liberty laws in Georgia and the enactment of religious liberty and anti-LGBT laws in Mississippi and North Carolina.

"Anti-gay bills motivated by a hatred that dare not speak its name" (Atlanta Journal Constitution)
Anti-gay bills motivated by a hatred that dare not speak its name | Jay Bookman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta