Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 01:56 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Well it's not like Mississippi has lots of big business and entities like the NBA and NFL knocking down the door anyway. But all this does is set them back even further and the crazy thing is that they don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 01:57 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
It's Mississippi we talking about. Lol they already don't have jobs and they really don't have a gay population like that. I feel bad for the few there though

Old 04-05-2016, 03:08 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I hate that this will affect Charlotte, Raleigh, and the progressive areas of NC, but these regressive, hateful state legislatures need to be held accountable for their actions.
Do people actually know what is in the NC bill? And if so, how can you not see this as sheer madness that companies are boycotting the state because of this?

Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Do people actually know what is in the NC bill? And if so, how can you not see this as sheer madness that companies are boycotting the state because of this?
What other issues does the bill have outside of the restroom issue?

Old 04-05-2016, 03:28 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Here's the actual text of the bill.

It's a pretty clear attack on trans rights. The bill explicitly states that one's use of the restroom is limited to the sex as listed on your birth certificate. Not current ID, but your birth sex.

I am not up on the NC laws with updating such info, but I get the feeling that you can't change the information on your birth certificate, since it's a record of your birth, not your current state.

That means that someone who has transitioned, could potentially be barred from a restroom should anyone feel the need to call them out on it.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
This is what the GA legislature wanted for GA, apparently...an exodus of jobs and businesses. Some of them can't wait to come back next year and try again to wreck the state's economy. I'm done with the illusion that the Republican party (most of the pols who supported this) is pro-business and pro-growth. Adding insult to injury, the taxpayers have to pay for the legal challenges as well.
Nine months and an ugly presidential election cycle (including state house seats) is between now and the return of the legislature in 2017. With the fallout in North Carolina, and backlash sure to come from Mississippi, there is no way in hell that these GOP lawmakers will be able to bring the same bill back for reconsideration next year. Not only is the court of public opinion just too vocal right now, but many marginal Republicans who originally supported the law are now backing away ... If not publicly than privately (it being an election year and all).

Fayette County Commissioner Steve Brown (who I seldom agree with) had a reasonable OP/ED in Sunday's paper in which he stated, very accurately, that instead of opposing the bill after the fact and ultimately vetoing it, Deal and Atlanta's business establishment should have gotten involved in the debate sooner and prevented the legislation from ever getting passed in the first place -- or at least helped negotiate a much less offensive alternative. This is the way Georgia politics and big business did things for generations (think Coca-Cola and Delta) and Brown is absolutely right.

For the sake of Georgia, I have to believe that more rational heads will prevail next session. And either way, there are going to be new bodies in there. So just to say "get ready for it all to play over again next year" is really premature.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:57 PM

346 posts, read 388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Nine months and an ugly presidential election cycle (including state house seats) is between now and the return of the legislature in 2017. With the fallout in North Carolina, and backlash sure to come from Mississippi, there is no way in hell that these GOP lawmakers will be able to bring the same bill back for reconsideration next year. Not only is the court of public opinion just too vocal right now, but many marginal Republicans who originally supported the law are now backing away ... If not publicly than privately (it being an election year and all).

Fayette County Commissioner Steve Brown (who I seldom agree with) had a reasonable OP/ED in Sunday's paper in which he stated, very accurately, that instead of opposing the bill after the fact and ultimately vetoing it, Deal and Atlanta's business establishment should have gotten involved in the debate sooner and prevented the legislation from ever getting passed in the first place -- or at least helped negotiate a much less offensive alternative. This is the way Georgia politics and big business did things for generations (think Coca-Cola and Delta) and Brown is absolutely right.

For the sake of Georgia, I have to believe that more rational heads will prevail next session. And either way, there are going to be new bodies in there. So just to say "get ready for it all to play over again next year" is really premature.
I noticed that one of the most vocal representatives (Crane) who wanted to call a special session, at taxpayer expense, to override the veto, is running for Congress in the 3rd District (the one being vacated by Westmoreland). It includes Fayette and surrounding counties. I think he would be a name for people in that district to put on the don't vote for list in the primary. There are several candidates, one of whom has to be better. Imagine someone running for office in a district in which one of the highest profile businesses, Pinewood Atlanta, would be severely harmed by the pullout of Disney-Marvel. Pinewood would probably have had to leave.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
So what is wrong with the NC bill besides the restroom portion? I keep reading that this bill had other important issues that are being overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
See my previous post. The law repealed all existing anti-discrimination laws in places like Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh, and prevents any future laws from being passed protecting LGBT people anywhere in the state. It essentially allows any NC citizen, business, or government entity to refuse gay people from their businesses, hotels, restaurants, colleges, employment, housing etc. without question. Much like the "Whites Only" sign on many businesses in the 60s.

The bathroom issue attached to the bill is really just a cover up. It's easier to garner support if you push it as protecting people from the plethora of transsexuals trying to go into the bathroom of their identity. "Oh no, we can't let biological men, who identify as female enter the women's bathroom! We must pass a bill and put a stop to this evil!"

Meanwhile, while everyone is focused on that tiny little issue that affects probably less than 1% of the population, they slipped in a complete removal of all LGBT rights in the state, and banned any future attempts to provide those rights.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:48 PM

Politics | Mother Jones

This is why Paypal is leaving NC. Please read

Old 04-05-2016, 07:56 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
What other issues does the bill have outside of the restroom issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Here's the actual text of the bill.

It's a pretty clear attack on trans rights. The bill explicitly states that one's use of the restroom is limited to the sex as listed on your birth certificate. Not current ID, but your birth sex.

I am not up on the NC laws with updating such info, but I get the feeling that you can't change the information on your birth certificate, since it's a record of your birth, not your current state.

That means that someone who has transitioned, could potentially be barred from a restroom should anyone feel the need to call them out on it.
In addition to the issues of transgendered individuals potentially being barred from restrooms that match the gender that they have transitioned to, another major issue with the North Carolina law that has been repeatedly noted and documented is that the law basically invalidated all local discrimination ordinances and made it illegal for local municipalities to have discrimination protections that go beyond North Carolina state law which does not feature protections for LGBTQ individuals.

The invalidation of local discrimination ordinances that feature protections for LGBTQ individuals basically makes it open season on them by allowing (and seemingly encouraging) discrimination in parts of the state where discrimination against LGBTQ individuals was not allowed before (prime example: Charlotte).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta