Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:41 PM

18 posts, read 54,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax general View Post
So, through my direct influence, I have a 1st generation Ethipoian-American teen listening to Led Zeppelin. My work is done here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 04:49 PM

18 posts, read 54,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
So Pastor Stan, you would like more of these people WHO BROKE THE LAW OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA by jumping our borders to come to Canton?

You want more vagrants on the streets? You want closed-storefronts? You want graffiti? You want people to move away? Your harping of "diversity" is a sure way to signal death for a community, especially when it involves unassimilatable illegal mestizo/Indian Mexicans who do not wish to change, who aren't even citizens. I suppose the American citizen, or the white people of Canton, as well as their opinions, do not matter?
That's quite a large leap you've made there!

Additionally, you seem to have insight that is unparalleled!

Are you running for office locally, perhaps city mayor? If so, then please provide your name so that I can be sure to vote for you! If not, then please provide your name anyway, so that I can write you in on the ballot as a write-in candidate!

Old 03-09-2008, 05:12 PM

894 posts, read 4,354,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax general View Post
I have a 1st generation Ethipoian-American teen listening to Led Zeppelin. My work is done here!

I hear ya, my now 20 year old son was listening to the Beatles and LZ starting in the 3rd grade. He should have been born in the 60's

Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 PM

73,139 posts, read 62,835,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otoatlanta View Post
Canton is different. I can honestly say that it's not the friendliest place I've ever lived, although I don't know what the reason behind the occasional coldness is. I personally don't think it has to do with race, as my black neighbors have said nothing to my family since living here-I have spoken to most of my closest white neighbors-one even walking from down the street to greet me.

In stores, I have found people to be especially friendly. People in Canton seem more reserved IMO. Not very outgoing. But I wouldn't say it's racism, as there are quite a number of black families in our neighborhood, and they have acted no different from the majority of the white families. The Asian families that I have encountered in Canton have been the friendliest and most outgoing.
Canton is different. I go to Woodstock sometimes and I never get a cold reception from anyone. I feel perfectly fine going to Woodstock. My incident only happened in Canton.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 42,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
So Pastor Stan, you would like more of these people WHO BROKE THE LAW OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA by jumping our borders to come to Canton?

You want more vagrants on the streets? You want closed-storefronts? You want graffiti? You want people to move away? Your harping of "diversity" is a sure way to signal death for a community, especially when it involves unassimilatable illegal mestizo/Indian Mexicans who do not wish to change, who aren't even citizens. I suppose the American citizen, or the white people of Canton, as well as their opinions, do not matter?

Geesh....you scare me Scraper Enthusiast.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 PM

595 posts, read 2,346,884 times
Canton is pretty and yes I'd agree still scary.

And as funny as it sounds to say Woodstock is more cosmopolitian...and that's a very loose use of that term but it's almost accurate.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Canton is pretty and yes I'd agree still scary.

And as funny as it sounds to say Woodstock is more cosmopolitian...and that's a very loose use of that term but it's almost accurate.
I wouldn't say cosmopolitan but if it was a choice between Woodstock and Canton, I would got to Woodstock. My experience in Woodstock was a 180 turn from Canton. I went to the Carnett Car Wash with a friend and I was given a very cold reception. My friend commented on it too. I went to Target in Woodstock and things were okay there. No bad reception. I went to the Serene Bean in Woodstock. In both cases I was the only black person there. In Canton I was stared at. In Woodstock, and specifically Serene Bean, I had no problems. In fact I felt very welcomed there. Woodstock isn't perfect, but I turn to smiles when I think of my times in Woodstock.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 PM

162 posts, read 684,579 times
I hate to agree with you PL but race does seem to matter in Canton. I know a lot of whites left S/W Cobb years back because Canton was mostly white and very affordable. In fact my next door neighbors did that about 8 years ago. The neighborhood was getting a little too diverse for them LOL.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Cobb View Post
I hate to agree with you PL but race does seem to matter in Canton. I know a lot of whites left S/W Cobb years back because Canton was mostly white and very affordable. In fact my next door neighbors did that about 8 years ago. The neighborhood was getting a little too diverse for them LOL.
Sounds about right.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,432,326 times
So one bad experience at a car wash gets an entire community a black eye, and a good experience at Target and a coffee house gets another community a good rating- that's pretty funny. I guess I should tell me new black neighbors (the second on our street now) that they've moved into such a racist community........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta