Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,428 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate some info about the Canton area. We are moving from Kansas to a David Weekley home we are purchasing in Canton. No kids (retiring, finally) and want to be near family in that area. Love the home, don't know much about thr area. Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,030,993 times
Canton, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What else would you like to know?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,428 times
Any opinions about the homes David Weekley builds?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,415,169 times
David Weekley is one of the better production builders- they build a good house for the money.

Regarding the Canton area in general, you'll find it to be a somewhat typical suburb- plenty of shopping around, great schools, and pretty safe.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,880,261 times
Even though a good amount of suburban development has come to Canton in the last 20 years, it still maintains a rural, small town feel. It wasn't too long ago that it was NOT considered suburban, was a very small county seat town for decades and by small I mean just over 1,000 population.

I love the area. It has always been the area on a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains where you felt like you had made it as you begin seeing good sized mountains on the horizon.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 AM

65 posts, read 259,036 times
Default Moving to Georgia May 2014

Hi,

We are thinking of moving to Canton also and have been looking at the Bridgemill subdivision. Does anyone have any information they can pass on in regard to safe it might be to live there (I have heard that they have had trouble with groups of people breaking into cars) and also if you find a rental there do you also have access to the pool ect and, if so, what it cost?

I've been tossing up between there and maybe Cumming, GA (maybe near Vickery Village???) as it has the carnival every year, the schools are suppose to be good ect, and there are shops nearby.

My husband will be away 9 months of the year in Australia working so I'm looking for somewhere that is safe for myself and my 11 year old son to go walking, riding bikes, interact with the community.

We are currently in Australia so can't exactly "pop" by for a visit there. It's hard trying to rent a place from afar for sure.

We are looking for a rural feel, no hectic traffic, festivals nearby and access to the mountains so we can go to Helen, GA ect.

I'm looking at subdivisions as we like the idea of pool/tennis courts and perhaps get togethers with neighbors.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,030,993 times
Why not just "pop" up it only a 18 hour flight... JK

Both the Cherokee & Forsyth School are great (Some of the best in the state).

Car Break-In, Yes there have been a bunch lately, But Its random, and if you keep your car in your garage you will not have a problem. Both area are concidered Safe, you would have no issues going out walking biking, letting you son ride around the sub/division.

Most Sub-Division have pool and/or Tennis courts, Most are included into Home Owner Association dues, Since you are planning to rent, you should request the owner prove s/he has paid them. (HOA will give him certification). Add a clause to you lease that if the dues are not paided by the due date, you can withhold them from your rental payment, and pay them directly. (Normally around $400USD a year)

Update: Bridgemill seem to have a seperate charge for the Tennis/Pool, Its unlikly the Owner of the home would include that in the "Rent", You would need to join it yourself.

http://bridgemillathleticclub.com/

I did not see any costs on there website, there are different levels of membership, There is a email form for more information.

Vickery Villiage area: Most of the sub/division are smaller. As far as i know most seem to have Tennis/pool are mostly included in the HOA dues (Just make sure the owner of the home pays them).

Last edited by flyonpa; 12-09-2013 at 09:03 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,412,450 times
Canton has really changed over the past 20 years. It now has a cute downtown with many restaurants and businesses. It's now more of an outer suburb than it is a sleepy town at the Blue Ridge foothills. I think it is rather charming.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 AM

45 posts, read 51,566 times
I have lived in Canton for almost a year and in Woodstock, which is next to Canton, for 20 years. I now live in Bridgemill and I love it. I wanted a safe place to walk my dog when it's dark and I feel totally safe in Bridgemill. I can take a really long walk and never leave the subdivision. There are a lot of walkers there. The sheriff patrol it all the time.

As far as the car break ins, they were caught, it was a few teeagers. They got cars that were in driveways unlocked. Bridgemill sends e-mails when something like this is going on. A couple months ago we got an e-mail about a bear wondering the neighborhood.

There are different levels you can join regarding the amenities. I joined the lower level to go to the pool (which is huge) and go to the fitness center. I just got my association fee bill for 2014 and it is $165.00 and I pay $67. a month. It is more expensive for tennis and then again for golf.

Bridgemill has a wide variety of homes. I live in a section called the cottages, which are smaller homes. It goes from the cottages to homes I think that hit a million, if not it's close to it. All the homes are quite pretty, from the smaller ones to the big ones. It's a huge subdivision and they have a lot going on. I got the monthly magazine and they have a lot of activities for kids and grown ups for the holidays. They have a good restaurant at the golf course. They have a lot to do and the landscaping is always kept up very nice. There are some green spaces throughout the subdivision too.

There are some rentals, I have noticed from walking my dog, in fact a house down the street from just got rented out. Downtown Canton and Woodstock, Bridgemill is about the same distance from both, have a lot going on and have good restaurants. The new outlet mall on 575 is close but doesn't affect traffic to much in the area. Luckily they made an extra lane to exit it.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM

65 posts, read 259,036 times
Thanks for all the information. If only they could invent teleportation devices....it would be sooooo much easier! LOL I did like the look of Bridgemill and how there is plenty of walking paths, landscaping is nice and the pool is huge. That is a great price for use of the pool and fitness centre....which is probably the only thing we would use. Ahhhh...its so frustrating trying to rent from afar. I had JUST made my mind up that Cumming is the place for a rental...and now I'm wondering if Bridgemill is the way to go? USAisgreat, can you give me some good points for Canton...i.e....best features about the area? I know heaps about Cumming but haven't found a whole lot about Canton. Thanks! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta