Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:16 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I'm curious to know "where" they are considering building the sixth runway. The "master plan map" was too blurry for me to read.
Between the 5th run way and the terminal. So the 6th runway will be parallel but closer in than the 5th one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
North of the fifth runway that crosses over 285"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Between the 5th run way and the terminal. So the 6th runway will be parallel but closer in than the 5th one.

Thanks for the info...

Old 08-27-2014, 03:49 PM

114 posts, read 112,210 times
If Delta and Air Tran Airways get their way, Metro Atlanta will be denied a 2nd regional commercial airport, which it desperately needs. The COA could easily build a commercial airport with TWO 10,000ft runways at either the Paulding or Dawson location for the same price it would take to build ONE 5,000ft runway and a couple of new concourses at Hartsfield. Plus both of those locations are not land-locked, whereas Hartsfield is. Continually expanding Hartsfield at this point is a lesson in the law of diminishing returns. Developing an airport in the exurbs will yield much greater air traffic capacity at pennies on the dollar compared to retrofitting Hartsfield again and again. Washington DC, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Seattle, St Louis, New York, Los Angeles, and Tampa all have more than one commercial airport. The FAA has directed the COA to look into adding air traffic capacity in the region. As we move into the future with ever growing aviation demand, the common sense of a 2nd airport will grow into a dull roar.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
If Delta and Air Tran Airways get their way, Metro Atlanta will be denied a 2nd regional commercial airport, which it desperately needs. The COA could easily build a commercial airport with TWO 10,000ft runways at either the Paulding or Dawson location for the same price it would take to build ONE 5,000ft runway and a couple of new concourses at Hartsfield. Plus both of those locations are not land-locked, whereas Hartsfield is. Continually expanding Hartsfield at this point is a lesson in the law of diminishing returns. Developing an airport in the exurbs will yield much greater air traffic capacity at pennies on the dollar compared to retrofitting Hartsfield again and again. Washington DC, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Seattle, St Louis, New York, Los Angeles, and Tampa all have more than one commercial airport. The FAA has directed the COA to look into adding air traffic capacity in the region. As we move into the future with ever growing aviation demand, the common sense of a 2nd airport will grow into a dull roar.
Makes lots of sense.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
More gates, more runways, Plane Train extensions, more taxiways...

And thus, one of the world's biggest airports keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. I can't help but echo bryant's point that space will eventually become an issue, if it hasn't already. In fact, since nobody else has brought this question up yet, I thought I would: what impacts do you think the continuing expansion of Hartsfield-Jackson will have on efforts to get a second airport built in metro Atlanta? I don't think any movement will happen on that front for quite some time (well yea, there's Paulding County, but I can't see anything happening on that front, and we all know what happened in Gwinnett County).

- skbl17
i think the time will eventually come that a building a second airport will be the only option. the thing is, i can't imagine where to place another airport that has access to atlanta anywhere near what hartsfield-jackson does, unless they expand peachtree-dekalb or charlie brown.

this is at least 20 years off, by the way.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:50 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Connectivity is what drives the importance of ATL. A second airport could diminish that greatly. I guess a second airport could handle local traffic without having too much impact on that, but it still makes it more complicated for connecting passengers.

The airport isn't really landlocked. There isn't anything much of value south of the fifth runway. Clayton could almost benefit from getting rid of some of that aging multi-family housing that is currently in the way. Expansion would be pricey, but it is possible.

ATC tech will continue to make ATL more efficient as well.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
The low-res photo from ABC was bugging me so I resized it and re-wrote the text labels wherever I could figure out what they were. Still a few questions but much easier to make out what's what here. Looks like some promising improvements. Click the full size version to read the labels.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
if they decided to convert peachtree-dekalb into a commercial airport, i think it could be done. they would have to acquire all the land between chamblee-dunwoody and clairmont road, which is mostly old industrial properties.

i was looking at how LaGuardia is laid out in Queens, and it uses a much more complex system of terminals and runways than hartsfield-jackson; if they were willing to use a more complex plan, and fewer runways, they would have an easier time finding a place to put another airport.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think the time will eventually come that a building a second airport will be the only option. the thing is, i can't imagine where to place another airport that has access to atlanta anywhere near what hartsfield-jackson does, unless they expand peachtree-dekalb or charlie brown.

this is at least 20 years off, by the way.
I think they'd have to rework those runways at P'tree Dekalb to handle the larger aircraft. Houston built a 2nd airport but I like flying out of the old one because it is much smaller, only two concourses and easy to navigate.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think they'd have to rework those runways at P'tree Dekalb to handle the larger aircraft. Houston built a 2nd airport but I like flying out of the old one because it is much smaller, only two concourses and easy to navigate.
Hobby? It's so much easier than IAH. I've dropped my dad off there and at IAH several times the past few years. I had to fly out of concourse A at IAH back in October and it took me some time to figure out where to go. ATL is much clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta