Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 02:06 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,133,968 times

Advertisements

More gates, more runways, Plane Train extensions, more taxiways...

And thus, one of the world's biggest airports keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. I can't help but echo bryant's point that space will eventually become an issue, if it hasn't already. In fact, since nobody else has brought this question up yet, I thought I would: what impacts do you think the continuing expansion of Hartsfield-Jackson will have on efforts to get a second airport built in metro Atlanta? I don't think any movement will happen on that front for quite some time (well yea, there's Paulding County, but I can't see anything happening on that front, and we all know what happened in Gwinnett County).

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 02:09 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

And thus, one of the world's biggest airports keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. I can't help but echo bryant's point that space will eventually become an issue, if it hasn't already. In fact, since nobody else has brought this question up yet, I thought I would: what impacts do you think the continuing expansion of Hartsfield-Jackson will have on efforts to get a second airport built in metro Atlanta? I don't think any movement will happen on that front for quite some time (well yea, there's Paulding County, but I can't see anything happening on that front, and we all know what happened in Gwinnett County).

- skbl17
We don't need another airport. Just keep expanding the one we have unless they can by some land next to a Marta station

Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 PM

4,580 posts, read 8,996,741 times
Quote:

- skbl17
Personally, I think the idea of a second Atlanta area airport should be shelved permanently. If any alternative HAD to be done, there is always CSG, AHN, MCN or GVL. Heck, even CHA could be expanded as an alternative. All these provided there is a shuttle service or some type of high speed rail.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:13 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,254,636 times
I think a second airport will take away from our current airport "advantage". Once you have a second airport, connections get complicated. As it is now, fly into ATL and you can get just about anywhere you want to go, direct.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:22 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,684,264 times
Quote:
what impacts do you think the continuing expansion of Hartsfield-Jackson will have on efforts to get a second airport built in metro Atlanta?
Excuse me for laughing. Do you know how many cities much larger than Atlanta are trying to make do with tiny airports? LAX, San Diego, London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Newark Airport, La Guardia, and Boston are just a few.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:32 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,133,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Excuse me for laughing. Do you know how many cities much larger than Atlanta are trying to make do with tiny airports? LAX, San Diego, London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Newark Airport, La Guardia, and Boston are just a few.
While you make good points, it should be stressed that I am NOT asserting that we need a second airport, I just assumed that, as with almost all Hartsfield-Jackson discussion, the topic would be brought up eventually, so why not now?

As we've started to see in this very thread, other users have brought up the idea that we may not even have to look to metro Atlanta for such a thing when the time comes. Others believe the idea should be shelved indefinitely or simply put off. I'm sure other users are in favor of building a new airport, with sites for discussion including the land Atlanta owns in Dawson County, and Dobbins AFB. There might be maps of future/hypothetical rail connections, whether it's HSR(?) to Chattanooga(!) or a new commuter rail system or expanded MARTA system. Other discussion will get back to which airline would serve as the "flagship" at this hypothetical airport #2 and how powerful Delta's lobbying efforts would be. How would local politics affect such a development? NIMBYism? Economic development (or lack thereof) associated with a new airport?

Even if we don't build a new airport in the short or medium term (or even long term), it still makes for good discussion.

(Personally, after seeing the Briscoe effort fail and the Paulding effort on the brink of collapse, I think that the idea that we need a second airport needs to be put off for the next three or four decades at least. Hartsfield-Jackson will support the increased capacity until well into the middle of the century, barring some unforeseen boom in layovers or an explosion in O&D numbers, which I can't see.)

- skbl17

Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,230,428 times
I'm curious to know "where" they are considering building the sixth runway. The "master plan map" was too blurry for me to read.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,688,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Personally, I think the idea of a second Atlanta area airport should be shelved permanently. If any alternative HAD to be done, there is always CSG, AHN, MCN or GVL. Heck, even CHA could be expanded as an alternative. All these provided there is a shuttle service or some type of high speed rail.
Hopefully CSG steps up if there is ever going to be 2nd airport. With high-speed rail being pushed between Columbus and Atlanta, I would love for CSG to add more airlines.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 PM
VJP

723 posts, read 1,732,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I'm curious to know "where" they are considering building the sixth runway. The "master plan map" was too blurry for me to read.
North of the fifth runway that crosses over 285"

Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,570,735 times
I think it says 7,800' for the runway length, which is rather short for a large commercial airport. Quite an expansion, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta