Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 10:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,808,080 times

Advertisements

I understand the concern. They have to make a long-term capital cost decision on market demand that is 10, 20, 30 years out to decide what to do.

But... Uber and Lyft exist and people are using it, but the lots still fill up and when they aren't full they are heavily used.

What I have noticed in the off-site lot I have used heavily the last 4 years or so they use to have every special in the world to get people there. Many of their coupon savings are drying up, they have a new gate system, and the rates are increasing and the lot is noticeably fuller.

This is with the economy coming back with Lyft/Uber and MARTA in place. I'm a bit nervous they might be over-anticipating decreases in demand just because of self-driving cars.

They make a good deal of money for the airport off their parking operation.

They can also charge more for that deck, than the out-lying lots.

Truthfully, I think it is best to go ahead and build one (or one half with future expansion options on the other half) and if demand really becomes an issue, just do away with the out-lying surface economy lots and make the proper about of demand use the decks and have more green space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 AM
bu2

24,141 posts, read 14,977,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I understand the concern. They have to make a long-term capital cost decision on market demand that is 10, 20, 30 years out to decide what to do.

But... Uber and Lyft exist and people are using it, but the lots still fill up and when they aren't full they are heavily used.

What I have noticed in the off-site lot I have used heavily the last 4 years or so they use to have every special in the world to get people there. Many of their coupon savings are drying up, they have a new gate system, and the rates are increasing and the lot is noticeably fuller.

This is with the economy coming back with Lyft/Uber and MARTA in place. I'm a bit nervous they might be over-anticipating decreases in demand just because of self-driving cars.

They make a good deal of money for the airport off their parking operation.

They can also charge more for that deck, than the out-lying lots.

Truthfully, I think it is best to go ahead and build one (or one half with future expansion options on the other half) and if demand really becomes an issue, just do away with the out-lying surface economy lots and make the proper about of demand use the decks and have more green space.
Few people with much luggage will take MARTA or a bus. Its more the business travelers with short trips. However, anyone might take Uber or Lyft. So they do need to think about this.

In the meantime, lots are very full, so it would be foolish to just assume Uber and Lyft will take care of everything. They need good data and alternative plans.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Few people with much luggage will take MARTA or a bus. Its more the business travelers with short trips. However, anyone might take Uber or Lyft. So they do need to think about this.

In the meantime, lots are very full, so it would be foolish to just assume Uber and Lyft will take care of everything. They need good data and alternative plans.
Right, but what you're ignoring is Uber/Lyft already exists as a choice and parking demand is increasing right now.

The effects of Uber/Lyft are already in place.

The major difference for the future is self-driving cars. I don't want to be at an airport in 20 years lacking adequate parking for our booming population, because we made a big bet on self-driving cars.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:06 PM

562 posts, read 783,801 times
The solution is build the decks in minimal form but with provisions to expand to more levels in the future as needed. If the demand decreases or never comes, you're not stuck with an 8 level monstrosity.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 PM

1,180 posts, read 990,152 times
I wonder if they could do some kind of congestion pricing of the garages and provide pricing in real time so people can decide if they want to pay and park or park and ride. Or do they already do something like this?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
I wonder if they could do some kind of congestion pricing of the garages and provide pricing in real time so people can decide if they want to pay and park or park and ride. Or do they already do something like this?
That doesn't benefit the airport in terms of revenue.

They can provide parking for all, the question is how much will be needed. They make a good deal of money off parking to pay for the airport operations.

If we went that route, the airport loses consumers and we shift costs onto GDOT/MARTA/Other entities straining P&R lots and security.

In short, it would just trigger parking lot expansion elsewhere.

I don't think airport travelers are the key to fixing road congestion. They are more spread out across the day. I do think the transit links for workers are critical and for those living a more Transit-friendly area.

Their main concern is if demand drops, then they are paying for a large deck not creating enough revenue.

They're being smart and thinking through the right things, but I'm just questioning how much demand will decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta