Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:08 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,742,363 times

Advertisements

I hope this isn't news to you, but Atlanta has been awarded an expansion MLS team that will start play in 2017.
If you think this is a bad idea, you don't know Atlanta's soccer fan community. Atlanta has a HUGE soccer community, however there are things that the city can do to ruin the fan experience... (Personally, I don't think the location of the new stadium will be best for those fans, but that's another thread).

Arthur Blank is the owner of the new team and he has stated that he will allow the fans to VOTE ON THE TEAM NAME...

With that being said, there have been a LOT of names thrown around after the news. Many of which, by fans of the city's sports, but not fans of soccer (so they have a hard time breaking free of the tradition naming conventions).
Some of the names thrown around have just been stupid. MOST have been attempts at being funny... BUT, few have been seriously good.

But one thing that the vast majority seem to have in common is that they want the team name to be Atlanta specific. As in, either fit in with Atlanta's bird theme, or be a representation of the city culture/southern culture, etc...

I read an article that declared the winner of the fan vote to be "Atlanta Phoenix"

I'm writing this thread to argue that name & suggest a better name that says "Atlanta" far more, far better, if far more unique, means MORE to Atlanta and just out right sounds better, hoping that you guys will agree and spread the word so the name gets a buzz...

While I understand what it means, I'm not slow or new to Atlanta, it still just sounds dumb to me. And that's a problem. I see several problems with the name "Atlanta Phoenix" and I'll explain, hoping that the people of C-D Atlanta agree...

1. "Atlanta Phoenix" lacks identity and uniqueness... Instead, what it breeds is a never-ending debate with outsiders over why Atlanta chose the name of another large city (Phoenix).
2. What happens in the future when Phoenix is awarded an MLS team? There will be Phoenix @ Phoenix matches... This breeds another dumb and unnecessary debate.
3. The name just doesn't roll off the tongue. It doesn't flow. There's a natural pause between the end of Atlanta & the beginning of Phoenix, which makes it sound unnatural & clunky.
4. Don't get so stuck in conventional naming conventions... The team name doesn't HAVE TO say "Atlanta," but if it does, please make it sound unique... Some of the most famous soccer teams do not carry the name of the city they represent (For example: Arsenal, Chelsea, Chivas, etc...) Other teams only carry the city name & no mascot (For example: AC Milan, FC Barcelona, Toronto FC, etc...). It is okay to not have to say [City - Mascot]...

LET's GO FOR MORE UNIQUENESS!!!
Atlanta Phoenix is NOT the name we want.... Let's not go down that path...

I understand, at first sight, it's like "Awwwe cool!!! Fits in with the bird theme, and represents Atlanta because of the symbol of Atlanta..." But there's an even better name:

"RESURGENS FC"

RESURGENS FC will...

1. Fit in with Atlanta's bird theme by allowing for a logo & mascot of a phoenix
2. Is unique and specific to Atlanta ONLY
3. SOUNDS professional soccer
4. Speaks to Atlanta's history
5. Simple & easy to say
6. Breeds the opportunity for outsiders to, instead of debate the name, ask "what does that mean?" and find out a little more about Atlanta.
7. The name becomes a perfect setup to shorten the name into a chant "SURGE!!!" or just a nickname "Surge..."
(Exp: "Oh, I'm a Surge fan..." "GO SURGE!!!")
(But, "I'm a Phoenix fan," tells outsiders you are a fan of an Arizona team, until you have to explain it..." When you HAVE TO explain something, it's not a good thing.)

Even if it must be "Atlanta Resurgens FC" it's better than "Atlanta Phoenix."

IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE TERM "RESURGENS," Here is how it applies to Atlanta...

Atlanta's original symbol was a bird flying over fields of farm land... So, Atlanta's symbol has always been a bird.
But after General Sherman burned the city to the ground, the city "RESURGED" and was reborn from the ashes like a phoenix (hence the phoenix on the seal).
The city adopted the term "RESURGENS" to represent the city being like a phoenix, reborn from flames. What makes it so unique, is that Atlanta is the only place that term applies, because of it's the latin form of the English word "Resurgence."

PERFECTLY UNIQUE TO ATLANTA

But "Atlanta Phoenix" will start a really stupid debate... Let's NOT let this happen to what will be our team!!! GET THE WORD OUT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,219,517 times
I'm cool with Atlanta Resurgens FC. The idea I've heard elsewhere of using SC "because it's called soccer here, duh" is a stupid idea. FC all the way.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,890,466 times
Something with "RESURGENS" is my favorite.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 AM

57 posts, read 75,066 times
Why the need for FC or SC? I don't get it. I hate it when American clubs try to take 100 years of European soccer history and claim it as their own. There is no Atlanta Braves BC or Atlanta Falcons AFC or Atlanta Hawks BC, so why does the MLS club need the extra initials? It's like a doctor going out of his way to sign everything with "M.D." at the end of it.

As for the name Resurgens, I understand that it fits the city but I can't say that I love it, either. As long as Blank doesn't give them a name that is like Atlanta Falcons Lite. I was a New England Revolution season ticket holder for 15 years so I know what its like to be the second class citizen in an NFL stadium with a team name that is a derivative of their NFL roommates, further reminding the MLS club that they are playing in someone else's house.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,742,363 times
I think the team shouldn't even use the name "Atlanta" in the team name. We know where they play. Don't need to say "Atlanta Resurgens..." I like it as just "Resurgens FC"

Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,143,511 times
Is "Resurgens" even a word? Even the Japanese borrow American names so Atlanta could go with "Atlanta United" or "Atlanta-close-to-Chattahoochee".

Old 06-12-2014, 01:42 PM

26 posts, read 47,867 times
As a former NASL player, I think "Resurgens" is the most awful I've heard so far.

Second, soccer is NOT necessarily EUROPEAN, so let's get off of that one. In fact, here in the US we'll have more overt support from the central and South American ethnic communities than anything close to EUROPEAN.

Lots of variations with "Atlanta" , such as

Atlanta Flame
Atlanta Chase
Atlanta Fort FC
Atlanta FIRE
Atlanta Depot
Atlanta Road/Roadies
Atlanta TORNADO
Atlanta Warriors
Atlanta Invasion
Atlanta Rebellion
Atlanta RIOT

Old 06-12-2014, 02:39 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,376,927 times
Not that I really care, but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I
I read an article that declared the winner of the fan vote to be "Atlanta Phoenix"

I'm writing this thread to argue that name & suggest a better name that says "Atlanta" far more, far better, if far more unique, means MORE to Atlanta and just out right sounds better, hoping that you guys will agree and spread the word so the name gets a buzz...

(But, "I'm a Phoenix fan," tells outsiders you are a fan of an Arizona team, until you have to explain it..." When you HAVE TO explain something, it's not a good thing.)

Even if it must be "Atlanta Resurgens FC" it's better than "Atlanta Phoenix."

IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE TERM "RESURGENS," Here is how it applies to Atlanta...
So, you're explaining to us the significance of the name.

But.... "When you HAVE TO explain something, it's not a good thing"

Old 06-12-2014, 02:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,246,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Is "Resurgens" even a word? Even the Japanese borrow American names so Atlanta could go with "Atlanta United" or "Atlanta-close-to-Chattahoochee".
Motto: Resurgens (Latin for rising again)

Pretty awesome name if you ask me.

I will also echo the comment about the FC thing seeming like a forced tradition. But whatever, it does look and roll off the tongue better than Atlanta Resurgens.

One thing is for sure, I will never ever ever do that damn OLE song. They tried to force that on us @ Thrashers games and that song has forever fallen under the hated category.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,246,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Not that I really care, but ....

So, you're explaining to us the significance of the name.

But.... "When you HAVE TO explain something, it's not a good thing"
The name in itself sounds pretty aggressive. I think most people will take it for an cool sounding name, then learn later the relevance. I love stuff like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta