Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:46 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,887,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
MARTA was one of three transit agencies built at the same time — BART in San Francisco and METRO in Washington, D.C.

Both BART and METRO today have about 100 miles of rail, but MARTA only has 48 miles — giving fuel to the argument that it is a skeletal system.

But if its up to MARTA General Manager Keith Parker the transit agency will re-enter into an expansion mode as soon as fiscally possible.

“MARTA has only reached half of its potential,” Parker told members of the Rotary Club of Atlanta on Monday. “We are a transit system we feel is poised to do much more, to be like Washington and San Francisco, which are 100-mile transit authorities.”

Parker said MARTA already has planned out its next expansion routes — going north along Georgia 400 towards Alpharetta, going along the I-20 east corridor and building a rail line to serve the Clifton Road corridor.

“My pledge to you, we will work the investment and make you feel proud of your transit system,” Parker said. “With funding, we are ready to jump right on it.”

Keith Parker: MARTA’s rail system ideally would be double its size | SaportaReport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times
I think that here is the wrench in the gears:

“With funding, we are ready to jump right on it.”

Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,164,879 times
OMG give this man a pay raise already!!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,833,283 times
My garage would ideally be double it's size. With funding, I am ready to jump right on it.

. . . this game is fun!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,597,401 times
Not with the mismanagement and the financial losses they encounter every year,worst every year they beg for state or federal money while increasing the fare.

How can they double the size with a limited network,limited work hours ?

3/4 of the city area are not served by Marta bus or train,too many citizens in depressed area can't find a job without a reliable transportation.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,893,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Not with the mismanagement and the financial losses they encounter every year,worst every year they beg for state or federal money while increasing the fare.

How can they double the size with a limited network,limited work hours ?

3/4 of the city area are not served by Marta bus or train,too many citizens in depressed area can't find a job without a reliable transportation.
MARTA posted a $9M surplus this year, that it has re-invested into the system with increased frequency of trains, some bus routes, and opening of restrooms.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 AM

858 posts, read 1,386,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
the financial losses they encounter every year
Sorry, that talking point is invalid now that they're profitable and expanding service. Try another one.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:49 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,883,640 times
i'm all for heavy rail out I-20 and up 400 (i live in alpharetta), but what we *really* need is more connections intown— i'm talking west midtown, down north avenue to the O4W and ponce city market, and of course the forementioned clifton corridor project. if we don't have those last mile (or last five mile) connections, running trains to the suburbs is only going to do so much. of course, alpharetta is an exception to this rule because it's a major job center in its own right, but generally the intown subways are insufficient.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,887,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA posted a $9M surplus this year, that it has re-invested into the system with increased frequency of trains, some bus routes, and opening of restrooms.
Yep. Compare that to the Highway fund that is insolvent: Highway Trust Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,051,641 times
The city is handling that part and it will probably happen a lot quicker than Marta expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm all for heavy rail out I-20 and up 400 (i live in alpharetta), but what we *really* need is more connections intown— i'm talking west midtown, down north avenue to the O4W and ponce city market, and of course the forementioned clifton corridor project. if we don't have those last mile (or last five mile) connections, running trains to the suburbs is only going to do so much. of course, alpharetta is an exception to this rule because it's a major job center in its own right, but generally the intown subways are insufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta