Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:13 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,207,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Question: If Cobb and Gwinnett tried to create a rail system would you ride it?
If it took me from home to work, or wherever else I needed to go, sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 PM

858 posts, read 1,393,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Atlanta used to have dozens of private streetcar lines that cost a nickle (~$1.50 today) to ride. User funding is not right for everything.
If the best example of privately funded rail transit you can come up with is a fragmented system that folded more than half a century ago and left Atlanta with the very mess that MARTA is trying to solve, I think I made my point.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 PM

32,079 posts, read 37,120,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
But they don't have to pay for it, yet they choose to. If they don't like it, then they don't have to shop in Fulton/Dekalb counties.
That's true. They may be getting hosed but I don't have much pity for them.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,079,921 times
These kind of threads don't make me happy - its either the ardent "rail is the only way crowd" or the ardent "rail should never exist" crowd. I fall in between. I am a big advocate for transit for a large city but HATE how the transit crowd turns the argument into a WE Hate cars and cars shouldn't exist. The reality is most of us will use transit when it makes sense but we will still have a car as well and we aren't angry at anyone who chooses to live in the suburbs and be car dependent.

Now, many cities that don't even have a subway system do have much better bus service including in the suburban areas, as these suburban areas become more dense this would solve helping the working poor issue.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,797,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
If the best example of privately funded rail transit you can come up with is a fragmented system that folded more than half a century ago and left Atlanta with the very mess that MARTA is trying to solve, I think I made my point.
Actually it folded because of the automotive industry.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Actually it folded because of the automotive industry.
Exactly. When stakeholders stop profiting from a private enterprise, that enterprise disappears. Not exactly the kind of foundation you want to build a city on.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,940,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They probably could have built the east line to Stonecrest if they hadn't spent so much money on studies they never did anything about.

Clifton Corridor needs to be MARTA, not a toy light rail train running on heavily traveled streets. That and Roswell should be the top priorities, but those are both pretty expensive. We really shouldn't go out to north Alpharetta. There isn't the density. You have to go through miles of nothing (now you have to go through miles of flood plain to get to Roswell-but it gets more populated after).
disagree. alpharetta is a job center, with many commuting directly to north alpharetta (windward, old milton, etc.) and the north point area from places all over the metro. i used to do deliveries in the alpharetta area. you would not believe how many jobs are really located here. we've got the regional corporate HQ for verizon AND at&t for goodness sakes.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 AM

10,398 posts, read 11,724,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
disagree. alpharetta is a job center, with many commuting directly to north alpharetta (windward, old milton, etc.) and the north point area from places all over the metro. i used to do deliveries in the alpharetta area. you would not believe how many jobs are really located here. we've got the regional corporate HQ for verizon AND at&t for goodness sakes.
This is an excellent point.

Alpharetta is a up-and-coming major jobs center that generates a lot of 'reverse-flow' commuter traffic on GA 400 during morning and evening rush hours.

Which, along with the extremely-heavy amount of commuter traffic that flows down GA 400 towards the I-285 Perimeter and Atlanta, and the inability to further expand GA 400 to accommodate growing traffic volumes, is a major reason why business interests in North Fulton County so desperately want an extension of the MARTA Red/North heavy rail line up GA 400 to the Windward Parkway area.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 AM

10,398 posts, read 11,724,575 times
Quote:
Question: If Cobb and Gwinnett tried to create a rail system would you ride it?
This is a good question as I'm sure that many people who currently have no other option but to traverse the often severely-congested Top End I-285 Perimeter between I-75 NW in Cobb and I-85 NE in Gwinnett during daylight hours, particularly if the rail system took them between home and work and many other places they needed to go, as toll_booth responded.

This is also a good question because business and political interests in traditionally transit-averse but increasingly severely-congested Cobb and Gwinnett counties have been talking of quietly supporting a potential move by the North Fulton County legislative delegation to push the state to takeover MARTA and sell it off to private investors as a means of getting rail transit lines extended into North Fulton, Cobb and Gwinnett counties without having to ask tax increase-averse and government expansion-averse suburban voters for a sales tax increase.

MARTA CEO Keith Parker has actually asked those increasingly-impatient Northside business and political interests under the Gold Dome to give him time to turn the system around and make it financially healthy enough to be expanded outside of its current geographical footprint without a state takeover and sell-off of the system to private investors.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
This is also a good question because business and political interests in traditionally transit-averse but increasingly severely-congested Cobb and Gwinnett counties have been talking of quietly supporting a potential move by the North Fulton County legislative delegation to push the state to takeover MARTA and sell it off to private investors as a means of getting rail transit lines extended into North Fulton, Cobb and Gwinnett counties without having to ask tax increase-averse and government expansion-averse suburban voters for a sales tax increase.
Holy s**t dude, you write some of the longest and most confusing sentences I've ever seen.

Sorry, but someone had to say it. Carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta