Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 AM

19 posts, read 44,116 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the comments. Looks like we will just go with a bond and yearly inspection, in case we have to end up in a house with termites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM

12 posts, read 20,987 times
One other point on termites-because they need moisture to survive, damp wood and paper is their number one target. Previous infestation *may* indicate hidden water problems. Of course, you can often get termites even if the area has never had water intrusion. Just something to pay attention to.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Thank you all for the comments. Looks like we will just go with a bond and yearly inspection, in case we have to end up in a house with termites.
The bond with yearly inspection does not cover much - I had that originally and you still pay for the repairs.

Go with the bond a Sentricon system - they check the traps quarterly and there is no annual inspection but it covers repairs. I had two termite problems with the annual inspection and none since getting Sentricon

Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Repair from Termites

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
The bond with yearly inspection does not cover much - I had that originally and you still pay for the repairs.

Go with the bond a Sentricon system - they check the traps quarterly and there is no annual inspection but it covers repairs. I had two termite problems with the annual inspection and none since getting Sentricon
If you get a bond that is "retreat & repair," you should be covered for both. Ours is $290 a year. We had the Sentricon System installed last year and that was extra $$'s.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:56 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Hello folks. Thanks for your previous suggestions about where to buy a home. It is really helpful.

We have now seen several homes, but found termite treatment histories in all the disclosures. Some even had termite treatments twice in the past 5 years! Since our family came from a place where termite is really rare, we have no idea whether we can buy a home with termites. Can anyone tell me whether we shall step away from such homes? Or, just buy a termite bond when buy a home? To what degree can a termite bond protect a home? Thanks.
It's the South. There's termites. There's cockroaches. There's mosquitos. Deal with it. That's why almost everyone has a termite bond. A good pest control company with a repair-and-replace termite bond will take care of just about any termite issue, and if you have seen termite repairs, it means that the homeowners have been on top of things and taken care of issues -- a good thing. if you stepped away from every home with termite issues, that would cut down the available houses to about 5% :-) Many buyers have a one-year termite bond included as part of their contract negotiations, or at least a free transfer of the existing bond. There are generally two kinds of bonds: a retreatment bond ("found termites? Ok, we'll kill 'em") or a "repair-and-retreat" bond ("fix the damage and also retreat the area.") The bond describes how often the home will be treated for termite inspection/prevention, limits of liability, etc.

You might feel better if you called a reputable termite control company and talk to them about termites in the South, along with different methods of termite protection, etc. It might ease your mind a bit.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
I would feel more confident purchasing a home that had termite treatment than one that has not. I had forgotten about this, but I checked up on exterminators: Pesticide Applicator Licensing and Certification - Ga Dept of Agriculture.

I'm pretty sure that was the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta