Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,261,414 times

Advertisements

While it may seem petty to some of you, working fast food helps people develop valuable skills that they could take with them anywhere--particularly with customer service. At the Krystal near my job, the people who work there are wonderful. They deliver excellent customer service and bend over backwards to take care of their patrons. Why should they be looked down on or deemed unworthy of a living wage because they aren't working in someone's office?

What people fail to realize is that people working fast food aren't doing brainless tasks, they are doing and learning what it takes to run a business. It's not simply a mindless flip of a burger or taking people's money and putting their food in a bag.

That person handling your food has to make sure that they understand proper handling of food (many restaurants requiring safe serv certifications) so that you don't get sick from food poising, how to clean and sanitize equipment, what products to use to make sure the restaurant is clean so you don't get sick. People handling the money are learning how to manage the money of the business, making sure sales goals are met and that no money is missing or stolen from the business. When I worked as a cashier for a certain chain that was high volume, I wasn't just taking money, it was my sole responsibility to make sure sales goals were met every single day, and that depended on how fast and accurately I rang up orders every hours. And let me tell you, working that particular restaurant was the most demanding job I've had in my life. More demanding than any office job I've ever had--and I've spent most of my work life behind a desk. Once the recession hit and there were no jobs to be found, I had to resort to fast food as a 30 something adult.

There's so much that goes in to running a restaurant and it's up to the workers to make sure it's done right--and it's not always as simple as many of you want to believe.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 12-06-2013 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 AM

23,727 posts, read 44,558,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
While it may seem petty to some of you, working fast food helps people develop valuable skills that they could take with them anywhere--particularly with customer service. At the Krystal near my job, the people who work there are wonderful. They deliver excellent customer service and bend over backwards to take care of their patrons. Why should they be looked down on or deemed unworthy of a living wage because they aren't working in someone's office?

What people fail to realize is that people working fast food aren't doing brainless tasks, they are doing and learning what it takes to run a business. It's not simply a mindless flip of a burger or taking people's money and putting their food in a bag.

That person handling your food has to make sure that they understand proper handling of food (many restaurants requiring safe serv certifications) so that you don't get sick from food poising, how to clean and sanitize equipment, what products to use to make sure the restaurant is clean so you don't get sick. People handling the money are learning how to manage the money of the business, making sure sales goals are met and that no money is missing or stolen from the business. When I worked as a cashier for a certain chain that was high volume, I wasn't just taking money, it was my sole responsibility up to me to make sure sales goals were met every single day, and that depended on how fast and accurately I rang up orders every hours. And let me tell you, working that particular restaurant was the most demanding job I've had in my life. More demanding than any office job I've ever had--and I've spent most of my work life behind a desk. Once the recession hit and there were no jobs to be found, I had to resort to fast food as a 30 something adult.

There's so much that goes in to running a restaurant and it's up to the workers to make sure it's done right--and it's not always as simple as many of you want to believe.
I don't think anyone would dispute your statement; in fact, I applaud you for seeing the job for what it is...an opportunity to acquire job skills and an open door to better things. But the attitude of the protesters is opposite of yours.
Like most everything in life, a career is a climb. Everyone starts at the base. You aspire to a better wage, it's not just handed to you.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,406,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Like most everything in life, a career is a climb. Everyone starts at the base. You aspire to a better wage, it's not just handed to you.
Well, that's obviously not true. Many people are born into high paying jobs. They're born on third base and somehow believe they hit a triple.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Well, that's obviously not true. Many people are born into high paying jobs. They're born on third base and somehow believe they hit a triple.
I would call that an exception not a rule.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,586,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Waste of a white skin man huh, Ill take that as a good hearted jab. But seriously, if you think you have some significant privilege in the job market just by being white, you are sorely mistaken.
Do you really feel you dont have an advantage because you are white vs a black guy your same age and same education? Do you honestly feel that said black guy has an even chance? Atlanta is what many consider a quote Black city (Me personally I hate that term) so if it is a black city it should be quite easy for EVERY educated black PERSON to find good work? Right? Ok so lets say I work for one of the 4 major companies corporate offices based in the Atlanta metro (I actually do work for one of this companies) Coca Cola, UPS, Home Depot & Delta Air Lines. As a black guy when I come to work everyday I see a lot of white guys, I see a lot of white women, lots of east Indians the company flies in, I even see tons of black woman where I work, But I rarely see any other black males. Why is that Tikigod311? Maybe you can give me a reason for this? Are we black guys not good enough for Corporate office jobs? Or maybe its we are not smart enough? Why do so many black women get hired on? Im I just lucky to be here? Why are the few black guys I do see older men in their late 40s early 50s or if they are younger black guys they are gay. As if the only black guys allowed are old men and homosexuals. Where are the straight black guys from ages 21-35? Why are they (we) not allowed to participate? I mean companies fly in east Indians to punch numbers in Excels sheets & Access Data bases. Im curious to hear your feedback as well as anyone else who works in the Cubicle Nation. Atlanta has a lot of black women who work in these Atlanta offices, maybe they can explain why the straight black males in the 21-35 age range are not allowed to play ball with the rest of Corporate Office USA. Tikigod im not trolling you man. If you are uncomfortable with this topic you can ping me a PM. Im black, but Im no bully man

Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,406,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I would call that an exception not a rule.
I would say there are far more people born with distinct advantages and soft places to land than most successful people are willing to admit.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:13 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,586,799 times
Quote:
I freaking hate when I try to give rep point and I get the spread reputation around message. They need to adjust the settings on that feature.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 AM

925 posts, read 1,344,107 times
At a certain wage point, i think it would be more beneficial to automate much of the fast food preparation process w machines/robots and just have a small number of people maintaining it and for customer service.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,261,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
At a certain wage point, i think it would be more beneficial to automate much of the fast food preparation process w machines/robots and just have a small number of people maintaining it and for customer service.
And how much would it costs businesses to have made and installed robots in all of their restaurants and what should they do when they have a packed restaurant and one of the machines breaks down? So say they have a robot working the fry station. Either they have to roll in another robot to replace it or just have a person do it.

Are you ok with your job being replaced by robots?

The restaurant I worked is pretty popular. The big appeal of the place and why we had lines out the door every day was because our food was very fresh and prepped by hand every single day. Robotics can't replace that.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I would say there are far more people born with distinct advantages and soft places to land than most successful people are willing to admit.
Im sure that's the attitude of the protesters, too. Are they a majority, or are they the the much lauded '1%' that the left keeps referring to? The left can't have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta