Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 27,253 times

Advertisements

My husband, toddler-age daughter and I are moving to Atlanta. We are looking at Marietta, East Cobb. Can someone who has lived in Dallas, TX or Charlotte, NC (both places we have lived) please tell me which part of Charlotte or which suburb of Dallas would be comparable to East Cobb? We visited last week, and it seemed that it would be more on par with Lewisville or Carrolton, TX or Matthews, NC. Is that about right? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Trying to almost exactly compare Marietta/East Cobb to any place in the Charlotte area is kind of a challenge because there is so much more development outside of Atlanta's I-285 Perimeter than there is outside of Charlotte's I-485 Outer Loop.

As sort of a very-loose comparison for the sake of this discussion and to help you better relate to the Atlanta area, the suburban Southside of Charlotte somewhat loosely compares to Atlanta's Northern Suburbs, but Atlanta's Northern Suburbs are much more expansive, heavily-populated and massive in scale (with much more traffic) than any suburban area that Charlotte may have at this point.

Dallas is a better comparison to Atlanta because both metros are of similar size (Dallas is larger when Fort Worth is figured in) and because both cities' most-popular and most-affluent suburbs are on the Northside of both metro areas.

Dallas is also a better comparison to Atlanta because the Northsides of both metro areas are much more intensely-developed (many might say overdeveloped) than the Southsides of both metro areas.

Dallas' freeway network also compares a little more somewhat closely with Atlanta's freeway network than Charlotte with Dallas' Northside stretch of I-635 LBJ Loop (between I-35E and US 75) serving a logistical function that is somewhat loosely similar to Atlanta's I-285 Top End Perimeter (between I-75 Northwest and I-85 Northeast).

For geographical purposes and to help you better relate to the Atlanta area, Dallas' Northwest suburbs of Lewisville-Flower Mound/Carrollton-Farmers Branch is a good loose surface comparison to make to Atlanta's Northwest suburb of Marietta/East Cobb.

Though the public schools in East Cobb County, GA (particularly in the feeder zones for Walton, Pope, Lassiter, Wheeler and Sprayberry high schools) seem to be much more highly-ranked and highly-regarded than the public schools along the I-35E corridor in the Northwest suburbs of Dallas.

Because of the very high quality of the public schools in East Cobb and a shortage of overall housing inventory (both new and existing homes) in Atlanta's Northern suburbs where the schools are the most highly-regarded, some of the housing prices may be a bit higher in East Cobb than they are in some of the Northwestern suburbs of Dallas in the I-35E corridor or in the South suburbs of Charlotte.

Hopefully the poster Saintmarks, who has lived in both Dallas and Atlanta can come through and help you with a better and more accurate comparison between the Northern suburbs of Dallas and the Northern suburbs of Atlanta.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:38 AM

Thank you so much for all that information! Exactly what I needed!

Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

Hopefully the poster Saintmarks, who has lived in both Dallas and Atlanta can come through and help you with a better and more accurate comparison between the Northern suburbs of Dallas and the Northern suburbs of Atlanta.

Brother Marks? Where are you?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:13 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Brother Marks? Where are you?
Here I am! Sunday is the day with kids and church, don't get on here until late....

I lived in Cobb County, Marietta address off of Canton Road or Bells Ferry Road for 14 years and have been in McKinney, TX for the last 10 years. The inlaws have been in McKinney since 89, so have known these two areas better than any other corners of the country.

Dallas and Atlanta are almost mirrors of each other as far as demographics and suburban growth patterns. Both have grown disproportionately to the north, the northern burbs are considered the more desirable even tho both have nicer pockets on the southern side (Atlanta moreso than Dallas IMO, nothing like Fayette County and Peachtree City to compare).

But your search is north. Both cities have their wealthiest enclaves just north of the central city.... Park Cities and Preston Hollow in Dallas, Buckhead in Atlanta. Both have the toniest suburbs going due north of this line, and fanning out to the NE and NW.

You mention East Cobb being like Carrollton or Lewisville. If you laid a map of Dallas over Atlanta, that is where Marietta would lie. Marietta is similar to these as far as the city goes, but East Cobb as a separate entity is a bit more upscale IMO. It is more akin to Plano as far as age of development, housing stock and reputation for the top schools in each respective area.

McKinney and Frisco would line up with newer, further out areas like Woodstock, West Cobb, Alpharetta, or South Forsyth County.

Of course none of these are exact replicas, but the similarities are striking. If you are looking at East Cobb, consider Plano to be the closest as far as distance from the city center, reputation for neighborhoods and schools and the type of people that seem to be attracted to both.

Some others will have differing opinions perhaps, but this is how I see the two. Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Saintmarks...you da man!

That's an excellent comparison of the Dallas and Atlanta suburbs!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Saintmarks...you da man!

Yes he is.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
East Cobb reminds me most of the Ballantyne/Weddington/Indian Land area of Charlotte, except that East Cobb isn't really a jobs center like Ballantyne is.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 PM

East Cobb, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Thank you all so much! This is very helpful! We lived in Coppell and I worked in Plano. Most of our shopping, dining, etc were in Plano and Frisco. Now we live in South Charlotte. I've really enjoyed all of these areas and hope to find something similar in Atlanta. This will really help next week when looking at homes! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta