Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:44 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,634,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzb32 View Post
Thank you all so much! This is very helpful! We lived in Coppell and I worked in Plano. Most of our shopping, dining, etc were in Plano and Frisco. Now we live in South Charlotte. I've really enjoyed all of these areas and hope to find something similar in Atlanta. This will really help next week when looking at homes! Thanks again!
If East Cobb is one of your top choices then will probably really like East Cobb as most people who move there and live there really like living there a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 15,988 times
Linzb32, we are in the same situation. We currently live in Coppell (suburb of Dallas Texas) and have for the past 8 years (I'm from DFW area) and my husband recently accepted a job in Buckhead, near Peachtree and Roxboro. I have a friend who lives in North Fulton County (Roswell) and my husband has an associate who lives in East Cobb County (Marietta). Both are very happy where they are and have made suggestions on neighborhoods/schools/zip codes to look at. I have spent the entire weekend online on this website and redfin/realtor/harrynorman websites and still feel completely unsure of where to look. We have until the end of the school year to move but are starting the search now and if we see the right house will likely move sooner or at least purchase it. I think at the very least I would like to make a trip there to get a feel for what it is like and what the neighborhoods are like and see a few homes in each one. My friend in Roswell said to focus on a neighborhood with a swimming pool and tennis courts as it provides the kids (we have a 10 year old daughter and 6 year old son) with a way to socialize and see friends over the summer. I love the idea of that (we don't really have that in Coppell, we primarily socialize with friends at our elementary school and sports teams and I love the idea of them developing friendships with neighborhood kids so I definitely like the idea of looking at neighborhoods with these types of opportunities.

Our budget is $350K - $400K (or slightly higher depending on the house) and we are in a 3500 sq ft house here so we'd like to stay between 2800 - 3500 sq ft there if possible. Our school here is ranked high so would like to stay in a similar school although it looks like the schools in that area are all comparable. I understand the traffic there is a nightmare, especially commuting to where he will be from the suburbs so realistically we know his commute will be around 45 minutes - would love for it to be less but it's also important to be in the right place.

I'd love to follow your search and if anyone has any other input on specific neighborhoods or schools or zip codes/locations that fit well with our criteria, I'd love to hear about it. It sounds like we are looking for similar things so rather than start a new thread I am adding to yours if that's ok?

Thanks!!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linlacor View Post
Linzb32, we are in the same situation. We currently live in Coppell (suburb of Dallas Texas) and have for the past 8 years (I'm from DFW area) and my husband recently accepted a job in Buckhead, near Peachtree and Roxboro. I have a friend who lives in North Fulton County (Roswell) and my husband has an associate who lives in East Cobb County (Marietta). Both are very happy where they are and have made suggestions on neighborhoods/schools/zip codes to look at. I have spent the entire weekend online on this website and redfin/realtor/harrynorman websites and still feel completely unsure of where to look. We have until the end of the school year to move but are starting the search now and if we see the right house will likely move sooner or at least purchase it. I think at the very least I would like to make a trip there to get a feel for what it is like and what the neighborhoods are like and see a few homes in each one. My friend in Roswell said to focus on a neighborhood with a swimming pool and tennis courts as it provides the kids (we have a 10 year old daughter and 6 year old son) with a way to socialize and see friends over the summer. I love the idea of that (we don't really have that in Coppell, we primarily socialize with friends at our elementary school and sports teams and I love the idea of them developing friendships with neighborhood kids so I definitely like the idea of looking at neighborhoods with these types of opportunities.

Our budget is $350K - $400K (or slightly higher depending on the house) and we are in a 3500 sq ft house here so we'd like to stay between 2800 - 3500 sq ft there if possible. Our school here is ranked high so would like to stay in a similar school although it looks like the schools in that area are all comparable. I understand the traffic there is a nightmare, especially commuting to where he will be from the suburbs so realistically we know his commute will be around 45 minutes - would love for it to be less but it's also important to be in the right place.

I'd love to follow your search and if anyone has any other input on specific neighborhoods or schools or zip codes/locations that fit well with our criteria, I'd love to hear about it. It sounds like we are looking for similar things so rather than start a new thread I am adding to yours if that's ok?

Thanks!!
You should start your search in the areas in East Cobb and North Fulton counties that your friends are recommending.

Search in the feeder zones for Walton, Pope, Lassiter, Wheeler and Sprayberry high schools in East Cobb County and in the feeder zones for Roswell, Milton, Alpharetta, Cambridge and Chattahoochee high schools in North Fulton County.

You can also search in the feeder zones for Johns Creek and Northview High Schools in North Fulton County and extend your search to the feeder zones for South Forsyth and Lambert high schools if you want to live in an area that is more outer-suburban in feel.

The schools in all of the aforementioned areas are nothing short of excellent.

The rush hour commutes between all of the aforementioned areas and your husband's job in Buckhead can all be extremely-challenging at some point, though the rush hour commutes by way of GA Hwy 141 (between Buckhead and the feeder zones for Johns Creek, Northview, Lambert, and South Forsyth high schools) might be the most-challenging while the rush hour commutes between Buckhead and East Cobb might be slightly less-challenging.

You might also want to start your own new thread so that you may get more replies and more suggestions.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM

32,050 posts, read 36,975,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The rush hour commutes between all of the aforementioned areas and your husband's job in Buckhead can all be extremely-challenging at some point, though the rush hour commutes by way of GA Hwy 141 (between Buckhead and the feeder zones for Johns Creek, Northview, Lambert, and South Forsyth high schools) might be the most-challenging while the rush hour commutes between Buckhead and East Cobb might be slightly less-challenging.
There are also two heavy rail lines directly into the Lenox area of Buckhead. They are fast and safe.

If you can snag a place near either one of these lines your husband's commute will be a snap.

If you dig around you might find some killer homes that are close to your price range near the North Springs station. e.g., 35 Messina Way NE, Atlanta, GA 30328 was Recently Sold - Zillow, or 7125 Northgreen Dr NE, Atlanta, GA 30328 was Recently Sold - Zillow

Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 27,357 times
Linlacor,

sorry to just now respond. It's been crazy trying to get our move finalized. I would definitely go to Atlanta for a visit. You just get a better feel for a place if you see it in person compared to only seeing it online. We decided to go with Dunwoody. The commute will not be as bad for myself or my husband. We probably won't live there long enough to use the school system so that wasn't as much of a concern.

We liked the FAR East Cobb area, but we couldn't find a rental home that had everything we wanted in the FAR East Cobb area. There were many big beautiful homes that were technically in East Cobb, but they were a little too close to 75 (which is more of a transitional area) for our liking. Some of the neighborhoods were very nice, but then you drive out of the neighborhood and it wasn't as nice. I would stick to the Walton, Pope, Lassiter school districts if you can. I think they would be most consistent with Coppell's excellent schools. There are some very nice swim/tennis neighborhoods too.

We couldn't find any rentals in Roswell, but it looked like a nice place. They have a very cute downtown area with shops and restaurants.

I also really liked Johns Creek, but the commute would have been too long to downtown. Good luck! Look me up when you get here! Texans are always a good time!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,918,272 times
Quote:
Linlacor,

sorry to just now respond. It's been crazy trying to get our move finalized. I would definitely go to Atlanta for a visit. You just get a better feel for a place if you see it in person compared to only seeing it online. We decided to go with Dunwoody. The commute will not be as bad for myself or my husband. We probably won't live there long enough to use the school system so that wasn't as much of a concern.

We liked the FAR East Cobb area, but we couldn't find a rental home that had everything we wanted in the FAR East Cobb area. There were many big beautiful homes that were technically in East Cobb, but they were a little too close to 75 (which is more of a transitional area) for our liking. Some of the neighborhoods were very nice, but then you drive out of the neighborhood and it wasn't as nice. I would stick to the Walton, Pope, Lassiter school districts if you can. I think they would be most consistent with Coppell's excellent schools. There are some very nice swim/tennis neighborhoods too.

We couldn't find any rentals in Roswell, but it looked like a nice place. They have a very cute downtown area with shops and restaurants.

I also really liked Johns Creek, but the commute would have been too long to downtown. Good luck! Look me up when you get here! Texans are always a good time!
You should be happy in Dunwoody. Richardson is the best correlating suburb in Dallas IMO.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
We liked the FAR East Cobb area, but we couldn't find a rental home that had everything we wanted in the FAR East Cobb area. There were many big beautiful homes that were technically in East Cobb, but they were a little too close to 75 (which is more of a transitional area) for our liking. Some of the neighborhoods were very nice, but then you drive out of the neighborhood and it wasn't as nice.
LOL!...Welcome to Atlanta.

It's not necessarily all that uncommon for very-nice and higher-priced areas of well-kept mature detached single-family homes and newer larger single-family homes (McMansions) to be relatively very-close to or even mixed-in with transitional areas that consist of aging apartment and townhome complexes and aging single-family homes with lots of transient families.

...Which it sounds like you may have been searching in the feeder zones for Wheeler and Marietta high schools and were not necessarily completely impressed with what you may have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta