Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,206,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I get that some people just can't help but to butt into things they should keep their nose out of.
WHAT? That has to be one of the more asinine comments I have seen on this board, and there have been oh so many.

The management of MARTA has every business to poke their "nose" into trying to make the system an attractive alternative to people who have other choices. At the same time they have a responsibility to the riders who have no alternative, to make the ride as safe and enjoyable as it can be. Unfortunately that means stating explicitly what shouldn't have to be stated, except it's obvious and apparent that people like you need to have it stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 04:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,142,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous! MARTA will become one of very few transit operators that wouldn't even allow small animals in containers, and would basically prohibit families with young children from riding. The few times I've even seen strollers on board that didn't "break down" they were well out of the way in the handicapped/bicycle/luggage area. MARTA has bigger fish to fry and really should stop wasting time on trivial matters!
How about screaming kids? I remember one kid so ear-piercingly shrill that I and a few other passengers retreated to another car at the next stop. And the mother did nothing but ignore her kid.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,896,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
How about screaming kids? I remember one kid so ear-piercingly shrill that I and a few other passengers retreated to another car at the next stop. And the mother did nothing but ignore her kid.
Same thing happens in walmart and restaurants. Some people just should be allowed to reproduce.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,142,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Same thing happens in walmart and restaurants. Some people just should be allowed to reproduce.
That's private property so the businesses can set their policy. If they love screaming kids...I'm outta there. But MARTA is public transportation, and in a confined space, a shrill kid like that one should be tasered.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,261,286 times
What Marta needs is more enforcement. I have ridden public transit all over the nation and the fact is public means everyone can use it and that means you have to have some tolerance for annoying sounds, smells, etc. That being said, Marta is the dirtiest and most foul-ridden public transit I've ever been on. I am used to the south and high poverty and such but outside of rush hour...I'll take a cab anytime. Greyhound is more pleasant and a typical Walmart bathroom is cleaner. Image may not be everything but where Marta is concerned it is everything...and the image I have ingrained in my memory is waiting for a train after a very late meeting at the Ga State station on a Monday and being surrounded by no less than 25 unemployed "folks," 6 or 7 of whom begged me for a dollar and then riding back to midtown in a car without air that contained two foul-mouthed ghettotastic hooches who dropped the f bomb at least 100 times while sitting with their? 5 children!!!

Ive ridden Marta many times at rush and it is fine but any system that allows loitering, begging, and pure ghetto behavior to continue unhindered should not be surprised when it isnt embraced. ?..and before Im blasted, I've ridden the green line in dc, through the Bronx in NY, and in many other "unpleasant" areas and still would rank marta as the trashiest of them all on both riders and cleanliness. Just my opinion...

I hate it because I really believe in public transit and the potential for Marta is great. They are trying, but bureaucracy seems to make it an act of congress to do anything with Marta. It is sad really. Perhaps the new code of conduct will improve enforcement and thus the ridership experience.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 09-15-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 10:08 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,017,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
What Marta needs is more enforcement. I have ridden public transit all over the nation and the fact is public means everyone can use it and that means you have to have some tolerance for annoying sounds, smells, etc. That being said, Marta is the dirtiest and most foul-ridden public transit I've ever been on. I am used to the south and high poverty and such but outside of rush hour...I'll take a cab anytime. Greyhound is more pleasant and a typical Walmart bathroom is cleaner. Image may not be everything but where Marta is concerned it is everything...and the image I have ingrained in my memory is waiting for a train after a very late meeting at the Ga State station on a Monday and being surrounded by no less than 25 unemployed "folks," 6 or 7 of whom begged me for a dollar and then riding back to midtown in a car without air that contained two foul-mouthed ghettotastic hooches who dropped the f bomb at least 100 times while sitting with their? 5 children!!!

Ive ridden Marta many times at rush and it is fine but any system that allows loitering, begging, and pure ghetto behavior to continue unhindered should not be surprised when it isnt embraced. ?..and before Im blasted, I've ridden the green line in dc, through the Bronx in NY, and in many other "unpleasant" areas and still would rank marta as the trashiest of them all on both riders and cleanliness. Just my opinion...

I hate it because I really believe in public transit and the potential for Marta is great. They are trying, but bureaucracy seems to make it an act of congress to do anything with Marta. It is sad really. Perhaps the new code of conduct will improve enforcement and thus the ridership experience.
Wow, exaggerate much? Plus are you serious about the cleanness of MARTA vs the NYC Subway?! I won't even get in to a debate about it because you seriously do not know what you are talking about. That's a fact.

I just don't understand why people go on and on about how dirty MARTA stations supposedly are. They are cleaned every single day. There are station on the NYC subway that probably haven't had a proper cleaning since the 1950s.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 AM

That one instance was atypical, yes, but that is the sort of experience that keeps people from giving Marta a chance. I still use marta, but not after the end of rush hour. I stand by the the filthy comment...the last time I entered the Peachtree Center station, the stairs were littered with trash and the platform was nasty...the marta official by the ticketing machine was standing next to a pile of chicken wing bones...really?

I don't use Marta regularly and maybe I've just been unlucky. I've heard the stations from Arts Center north are nicer. I don't know as I don't go up there.

My point is that more could and should be done and maybe the code of conduct will help with enforcement.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
NYC subway's rats will just walk out on the platforms. All this behavior you speak of has lessened in the past year to the point where I don't see any begging on the trains or stations. MARTA PD has stepped up patrols and enforcement since the launch of the See & Say app.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
NYC subway's rats will just walk out on the platforms. All this behavior you speak of has lessened in the past year to the point where I don't see any begging on the trains or stations. MARTA PD has stepped up patrols and enforcement since the launch of the See & Say app.
Good to hear that. I may give them another chance later in the evening then. Im cheap and hate paying more than 10 bucks for a cab when marta goes there. Since I don't live in Atlanta, I didn't know that marta pd has upped enforcement. That is a great thing.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 PM

Ludacris and Jeff Foxworthy to promote MARTA's new code of conduct PSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta