Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:56 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,014,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
How in tarnation are they going to enforce a "suspension"????
True. However, I've been riding the trains for years and there are certain characters everyone knows. I would imagine someone who would do enough to be suspended is usually not hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,263,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
MARTA continuing to waste resources and money on stupid projects.

Where is the savior Parker on this one?
You really think drafting a code of conduct required a lot in the way of resources or money? You seem to have a negative comment on every topic that deals with MARTA (or Atlanta in general, really) but complaining about the transit system having rules for its riders? That's a stretch.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,537,671 times
They already have rules that cover everything but the animals and strollers. Even then, you can't block seats and aisles with that. So even if they spent $0.01 coming up with this new nonsense, that's $0.01 too much for a solution just looking for a problem that doesn't actually exist.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,353,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
You really think drafting a code of conduct required a lot in the way of resources or money? You seem to have a negative comment on every topic that deals with MARTA (or Atlanta in general, really) but complaining about the transit system having rules for its riders? That's a stretch.
Did rules not already exist?

Do you really think this was drafted by one worker on a Tuesday afternoon?

If you believe that, you greatly underestimate the inefficiency of these large bureaucratic agencies.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,147,489 times
I hate MARTA more and more every year.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:57 PM

104 posts, read 141,818 times
Haters gonna hate.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:08 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I hate MARTA more and more every year.
I actually like MARTA more and more every year.

It's like the kid in your class that everybody picks on but he still gets up and keeps on going. Plus he sticks around as if he likes you, even though you are mean to him.

Plus, can you imagine what a podunk town we'd be without a rail transit system?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,204,546 times
What's amazing to me is how people can have a problem with this kind of thing. Society today is so self-absorbed and so devoid of personal responsibility that what used to be implicit and didn't need to be posted, now needs to be posted and is greeted negatively.

Let's look at what's in this onerous code of conduct, shall we?

"Riders cannot have animals unless it is a service animal" and why is that a problem? You want to take your pit bull for a ride, don't get on MARTA. I lived in NYC for my entire childhood and then lived near Boston for much of my adult life, and had pets throughout that time, but never needed to take them on the subway or the T. I'm an animal lover, but other riders don't want to see, smell, or hear your pet while they ride to work or the airport. It's about consideration and courtesy.

I'm sure there is also a hygiene concern about animals urinating or defecating, and probably a safety concern as well. The key is why do you need to bring an animal on a transit system?

"No commercial activity or solicitation" This one needs no comment. If you can't see the reason then you're blind.

"No loud noise from mobile phones or iPods" it's about consideration and courtesy. You may love your loud music, but the person sitting or standing next to you may not. Self-absorbed people probably disagree.

"No weapons such as knives larger than five inches and guns without a permit" Does this need to be debated?

"Large strollers and carts that cannot break down will also be prohibited" Doesn't say "no strollers or carts" only none that can't be broken down so that they don't block the train car or take up too much room as to be a hazard. Again, what's the problem here, unless you're just too self-absorbed to care about how what you do affects others around you.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:04 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,537,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What's amazing to me is how people can have a problem with this kind of thing. Society today is so self-absorbed and so devoid of personal responsibility that what used to be implicit and didn't need to be posted, now needs to be posted and is greeted negatively.

Let's look at what's in this onerous code of conduct, shall we?

"Riders cannot have animals unless it is a service animal" and why is that a problem? You want to take your pit bull for a ride, don't get on MARTA. I lived in NYC for my entire childhood and then lived near Boston for much of my adult life, and had pets throughout that time, but never needed to take them on the subway or the T. I'm an animal lover, but other riders don't want to see, smell, or hear your pet while they ride to work or the airport. It's about consideration and courtesy.

I'm sure there is also a hygiene concern about animals urinating or defecating, and probably a safety concern as well. The key is why do you need to bring an animal on a transit system?
Talk about self-absorbed, just because you have no need for things doesn't mean others don't either. What about people who use transit for their day to day lives? Should they have their mobility restricted arbitrarily? You say you lived in NYC, well didn't you know that Metro North doesn't actually have animal restrictions? They don't even make the reasonable compromise of requiring the animal to be in a carrier on the rider's lap.
Quote:
"No commercial activity or solicitation" This one needs no comment. If you can't see the reason then you're blind.
Already existed
Quote:
"No loud noise from mobile phones or iPods" it's about consideration and courtesy. You may love your loud music, but the person sitting or standing next to you may not. Self-absorbed people probably disagree.
The headphones requirement already existed. I just hope that this doesn't give the police carte blanche to ban people if a tiny bit of noise drifts out of their headphones.
Quote:
"No weapons such as knives larger than five inches and guns without a permit" Does this need to be debated?
Five inches is arbitrary, and what's defined as a weapon?
Quote:
"Large strollers and carts that cannot break down will also be prohibited" Doesn't say "no strollers or carts" only none that can't be broken down so that they don't block the train car or take up too much room as to be a hazard. Again, what's the problem here, unless you're just too self-absorbed to care about how what you do affects others around you.
Not blocking the aisles already existed. The people I've seen on MARTA with carts and strollers already keep them out of the aisles so this is just a heavy-handed attempt at creating new pointless rules in order to get people.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:40 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,533,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillgineer View Post
Haters gonna hate.
Thats pretty funny man!!! Haters are funny too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta