Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times

Advertisements

Only if you call yourself expressing a dissenting opinion debunking.

Magic Mountain is consistently ranked higher than SFOG. In fact, it's on several top 10 polls, I can't find a single one that lists SFOG as a top 10 park.

But a quick Google search of Top Ten theme parks in the US clearly never mentions SFOG....but many mention other Six Flags parks, including Magic Mountain.

Top 10 Amusement Parks : Fans Favorite Theme Parks : Travel Channel

Top 10 amusement parks in the U.S.

Top 10 Theme Parks (world rankings)

TripAdvisor Announces Top 10 Amusement Parks Outside Orlando

U.S. News Travel: America's Best Theme Parks

Can you find a list that ranks SFOG over Magic Mountain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 PM

368 posts, read 539,628 times
So you've shown that some travel websites say Six Flags' "flagship" park in Los Angeles is better than Six Flags over Georgia? Congrats. What's your point? I never said Six Flags over Georgia is a top 10 park, did I? It's not. No Six Flags park is. But SFOG is still far better than most Six Flags parks. And yes, I have been to every Six Flags park in the US and Mexico, including the three that have closed in the last decade. Which ones have you been to?

Your ill-informed hatred of Six Flags over Georgia and praise for Six Flags Magic Mountain obviously come from a lack of experience. What do you care anyway? You don't like Six Flags? Good, don't go. You're not interested in a new waterpark at Six Flags? Good, shorter lines for the rest of us. Why come on here with a negative attitude and call everyone that goes to Six Flags "disgusting"? You just end up looking like a jerk.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Quote:
I never said Six Flags over Georgia is a top 10 park, did I?
Maybe not, but in the thread you linked to, you said:

Quote:
Six Flags over Georgia is generally considered to be one of the best Six Flags parks. Most enthusiasts actually hate Magic Mountain, because it has rude employees and poor operations.
So why can other parks in the franchise get ranked when Georgia's never can if it's one of the best? I've never known an enthusiast to say, "great coaster, but what rude employees!"

And Six Flags' limit on coaster height does nothing to explain why it was one of the LAST major U.S. theme parks to construct a hyper coaster.

Quote:
It's not. No Six Flags park is.
I'd probably agree with that, but some of the lists mentioned at least SOME Six Flags parks.

I don't understand why someone who has been to so many parks would praise Six Flags over Georgia. I guess you can say you like the look and feel of it, like the layout, or whatever....but parks are typically ranked on the number of quality rides, and it doesn't look like many people think SFOG stacks up in that regard.

SFOG rested on its laurels as being the only decent coaster parks in the southeast, but once Busch Gardens stepped up its game, Islands of Adventure came online, and even Disney and Sea World started building coasters, it simply can't seriously compete.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
just like CedarPoint....only you have lake Erie right next to it
6 Flags Atlanta is like a traveling carnival compared to Cedar Point!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
It's pretty clear you're not a real "theme park enthusiast" and you don't know anything about SFoG's unique situation. First, the park is right next to Fulton County Airport, which is why it can't build anything taller than about 215 feet. You've made some of these same claims on this forum about SFoG getting "crappy" coasters before, and you've been debunked.

Why don't you go actually visit some other Six Flags parks, and you'll see how good ours is. Ask the people in St.Louis, Springfield MA, or DC about the last time their Six Flags got a brand-new roller coaster (hint: 2008, 2005, and 2001, respectively). Or, ask the people of Houston, Kentucky or Ohio about their Six Flags (hint: they're all closed).
So how does Cedar Point have a 420 ft coaster right next to Sandusky Airport? Wouldn't the FAA make those decisions?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
So how does Cedar Point have a 420 ft coaster right next to Sandusky Airport? Wouldn't the FAA make those decisions?
Correct, the FAA makes those decisions based on flight paths. Six Flags is directly in the flight path, and the FAA set a strict height limit for the park.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,406,787 times
And now people are hyping up in a park in a state they don't even live in lol

Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So why can other parks in the franchise get ranked when Georgia's never can if it's one of the best? I've never known an enthusiast to say, "great coaster, but what rude employees!"
Odd, I hear people say this all the time. A park could have the best coasters in the world, but with horrible operations (like running only one train even though it could run two or three), bad employees, and poor theming, the park would still suck. Some of the best and most popular parks in the US (the Disney parks, Busch parks, Silver Dollar City, etc) are great because of their employees, atmosphere, and overall collection of attractions.

Quote:
And Six Flags' limit on coaster height does nothing to explain why it was one of the LAST major U.S. theme parks to construct a hyper coaster.
SFoG was not even close to the last major US park to construct a hyper coaster. For starters, there are many major parks that still don't have a hyper coaster (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags St.Louis, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, the former Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, the former Six Flags Astroworld, the former Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, Busch Gardens Tampa, all six of the US Disney Parks, all three of the US Universal parks, the three Sea World parks, Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, Knott's Berry Farm, etc.). In fact, of the 20 most visited parks in the US, only four of them have hyper coasters. There are also several major US parks that got a hyper later than Goliath in 2006 (King's Island in 2009, Hersheypark in 2012, King's Dominion in 2010, Carowinds in 2010).

And why does it matter when SFoG got Goliath? We got the nation's first B&M flying coaster (Superman) in 2002 instead. Then other Six Flags parks copied it. So do Six Flags Great America or Six Flags Great Adventure suck because they got their Superman coasters a year after Atlanta? With 11 coasters, SFOG has one of the largest coaster collections on earth. Only 8 parks in the entire world have more coasters. I don't think anyone can honestly claim the park is getting the short end of the stick as far as coasters go.

Quote:
I don't understand why someone who has been to so many parks would praise Six Flags over Georgia. I guess you can say you like the look and feel of it, like the layout, or whatever....but parks are typically ranked on the number of quality rides, and it doesn't look like many people think SFOG stacks up in that regard.
Maybe this is a case of "agree to disagree." I respect your opinion on SFoG (a lot of people have negative opinions about the park), but I also know a lot of people who like the park. Most enthusiasts I know don't hold any of the Six Flags parks in high regard, but a few, including Six Flags Great America, Six Flags Great Adventure, and Six Flags over Georgia, are considered to still be good parks. I'm not trying to fight here; maybe you just rubbed me the wrong way with your weird comment that all of the guests at SFoG are "disgusting."

Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,931 times
I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with Shivtim that SFoG is one of the better Six Flags parks, right behind Magic Mountain and Great Adventure. Six Flags as a whole isn't a very good amusement park "chain" though.

P.S. When did ATLJTL become such a Debbie-Downer or, dare I say, troll?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:58 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Six Flags Over Georgia sure beats Six Flags New Orleans!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta