Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 PM

39 posts, read 102,912 times

Advertisements

My husband is the final candidate for a sales position covering Alabama, Georgia and Chattanooga, but the company prefers we live in the Atlanta area. There's still one step left in the hiring process, but if that goes well, he will get an offer by July 22nd and will be expected in territory within 3 weeks!

We are originally from Nashville, but have spent the last almost 4 years in Orlando. I'm excited to possibly experience true fall weather again!!

Anyway, obviously my husband will be traveling quite a bit, so we are free to live anywhere in the Atlanta area. We prefer the suburban life. Our budget is 225k - 275k. Would hope for at least 3 bedrooms in a safe, family friendly area. I am staying at home with our currently 5-wk-old son for at least the next couple of years, so somewhere with parks, playgroups and eventually good schools is a priority.

Any recommendations? I keep hearing good things about the northern burbs, but I'm not sure it's realistic with our budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,951,889 times
Peachtree City in Fayette County. Planned community. Very family oriented. Very close to airport. Great schools. Low crime. Range of housing options. Tons of outdoor amenities. Exciting place to be right now with film and TV industry expanding there.

Peachtree City, GA - Official Website

Old 07-13-2013, 01:20 AM

10,397 posts, read 11,531,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wml2h View Post
Anyway, obviously my husband will be traveling quite a bit, so we are free to live anywhere in the Atlanta area. We prefer the suburban life. Our budget is 225k - 275k. Would hope for at least 3 bedrooms in a safe, family friendly area. I am staying at home with our currently 5-wk-old son for at least the next couple of years, so somewhere with parks, playgroups and eventually good schools is a priority.

Any recommendations? I keep hearing good things about the northern burbs, but I'm not sure it's realistic with our budget.
Atlanta's highly-coveted Northern suburbs expand across a fairly widespread area that includes parts of 9 counties (Paulding, Cobb, Cherokee, Forsyth, North Fulton, Gwinnett, Hall, Jackson and Walton counties).

In addition to those 9 counties, some great far-outer suburban/exurban living can be found in parts of Pickens, Dawson and Lumpkin counties in the highest foothills and southernmost ranges of the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains.

With Atlanta's Northern suburbs/exurbs covering parts of 12 counties (an area that is larger than many major metro areas), you should be able to find something in your price range in the Northern suburbs/exurbs, which with your affinity for fall weather (and the breathtakingly spectacular fall colors that come with the change of the seasons) you will absolutely love.

With a budget of 225k-275k, your affinity for the type of fall atmosphere that is best experienced in the foothills and southernmost ranges of the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, and with schools being a major concern, you should likely concentrate your search in Northern outer-suburban areas with really good schools like Cherokee County ("Where Metro meets the Mountains") and Forsyth County.

Good luck with your search as you seem like you will absolutely LOVE living in Atlanta's often very hilly-to-mountainous and heavily-wooded Northern suburbs where the change of the seasons is often most apparent with the fall colors of the trees, which will likely be particularly bright and vibrant this fall season after what looks and figures to be a summer of near-record rainfall.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:28 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,951,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Atlanta's highly-coveted Northern suburbs expand across a fairly widespread area that includes parts of 9 counties (Paulding, Cobb, Cherokee, Forsyth, North Fulton, Gwinnett, Hall, Jackson and Walton counties).

In addition to those 9 counties, some great far-outer suburban/exurban living can be found in parts of Pickens, Dawson and Lumpkin counties in the highest foothills and southernmost ranges of the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains.

With Atlanta's Northern suburbs/exurbs covering parts of 12 counties (an area that is larger than many major metro areas), you should be able to find something in your price range in the Northern suburbs/exurbs, which with your affinity for fall weather (and the breathtakingly spectacular fall colors that come with the change of the seasons) you will absolutely love.

With a budget of 225k-275k, your affinity for the type of fall atmosphere that is best experienced in the foothills and southernmost ranges of the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, and with schools being a major concern, you should likely concentrate your search in Northern outer-suburban areas with really good schools like Cherokee County ("Where Metro meets the Mountains") and Forsyth County.

Good luck with your search as you seem like you will absolutely LOVE living in Atlanta's often very hilly-to-mountainous and heavily-wooded Northern suburbs where the change of the seasons is often most apparent with the fall colors of the trees, which will likely be particularly bright and vibrant this fall season after what looks and figures to be a summer of near-record rainfall.
Do you ever take a breath?! LOL

Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 AM

Here is a link to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Homefinder search page for single-family homes for $300,000 and under in Cherokee County (the search parameters only allow for a home search for $300,000 and less):
Atlanta Homes for Sale | Atlanta Journal Constitution

Here is a link to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Homefinder search page for single-family homes for $300,000 and under in Forsyth County:
Atlanta Homes for Sale | Atlanta Journal Constitution

Old 07-13-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Do you ever take a breath?! LOL
Just addressing the concerns of the Original Poster.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,498,956 times
Woodstock

Old 07-13-2013, 10:56 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,136 times
I agree with the Northern Suburbs but I would stay closer to the West Side and I-75 if he is covering Chattanooga and Alabama.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:04 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,404,637 times
I'll agree with the others- Cherokee County. Excellent schools, tons or places that will meet your budget, low crime, and convenient to Alabama and Tennessee.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 PM

924 posts, read 1,457,741 times
Definitely would recommend living off I-75 north of town so your husband doesn't have to completely cross metro Atlanta to go towards Chattanooga or Alabama. East Cobb has the best schools in the area and you can certainly get a 3 bedroom there in a good neighborhood for less than 275k. The Woodstock area is also nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta