Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,917,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Your right, that's why there is a lot of national retail chains south of I-20.
That is why they are not there. Profit. There has not been a enough people with enough disposable income in the area for decades. EAV alone used to be home to multiple grocery stores. But the shoppers moved away and the stores went out of business. It will take time for the stores to come back with the new growth in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,824,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
That is why they are not there. Profit. There has not been a enough people with enough disposable income in the area for decades. EAV alone used to be home to multiple grocery stores. But the shoppers moved away and the stores went out of business. It will take time for the stores to come back with the new growth in the area.
I agree.

CQ, it isn't "stigma."

It is marketing research. My great grand-dad built and owned a home in South Atlanta many many years ago that my family still owns today. We watched that neighborhood get worse and worse and worse and then a little bit better... then things stalled out with the recession and it seems like it might take much longer...

If people have less expendable income there will be fewer stores. If they have more, then there will be more. When they exist they will make less money per customer, but likely serve that many more customers and will carry cheaper goods.

The last 40 years or so South Atlanta has been on the lower edge of the income spectrum. EAV is a relatively new turnaround. The main places that did ok for some middle income families was a smaller area around Grant Park to the north and small parts of Hapeville ... and to some extent East Point had come transient middle class residents from the McPherson.

The reasons I think a redevelopment can work:

1) Basbeall

It has been said it is only 81 days, but it is 81 days where you can make a more than typical profit.

Say a tavern sells a plate of food for $10. The avg cost of staffing, food, rent, insurance, etc... is $8. The profit is $2. On a gameday you could probably sell it for $12 and get twice as many customers. 4x the profit (or $2 of profit and $2 dollars more to go towards rent, which pays for the redevelopment).

It is still about 20% of the year.

Many beach towns have tons of restaurants. Most of the year they are not making, but during the summer months... they make a killing. That killing makes up for the weaker sales during the rest of the year.

It could also become a magnet for locals to watch away games.

2) GSU College Students

The northern part of Summerhill (where the redevelopment would be) -has- gotten nicer, especially before the recession. There is also a decent amount of students renting homes in the area for the proximity of the GSU shuttle. Students, despite living cheap, often have expendable income for going out to eat, and local entertainment.

While I wouldn't see a grocery story in the development or a trendy urban clothes store, I could easily see it becoming a popular location for student apartments and dining/entertainment options for baseball fans and students alike.

Either way... companies are looking to make a profit. If a 'stigma' keeps one company away, than another one will take advantage of the stigma and move in to make a profit with less competition.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,967,057 times
Quote:
Either way... companies are looking to make a profit. If a 'stigma' keeps one company away, than another one will take advantage of the stigma and move in to make a profit with less competition.
As Kroger has being in Citi Center and Moreland.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM

10 posts, read 13,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No, there is a stigma from national retailers about being south of I-20. Especially the upscale ones like Publix and Trader Joes. Kroger is one of the few that breaks the line.
And even so, Kroger has 2 stores south of I-20; one on Cleveland Avenue and one on south Moreland Avenue. There are zero big box retailers south of I-20. No Best Buys or Lowes or Targets or Home Depots. The K-Mart on Cleveland Avenue closed. Wall Mart has a store on Gresham Rd and the next closest is on Anvil Block road in Clayton County. Even Edgewood Retail is more notable for abutting Littel 5 Points and Inman Park and being north of I-20 than it is for being proximate to East Atlanta Village. I-20 is a retail line in the sand and anyone who tells you different either doesnt know or doesnt live here where us South of I-20ers live,

Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,917,764 times
Ever wonder why there is the same shortage of retail on the west side?

As with Foqua at Glenwood Park, I would expect attempts to get more retail into the Grant Park area after looking at this. Of course it is not too far to Edgewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta