Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 AM

348 posts, read 434,480 times

Advertisements

Visions pitched for Turner Field parking lots | www.ajc.com

Honestly, I only like two of them but these are just preliminary designs and I'm sure with more detail that could change. But only one looks like there is some type of heavy rail, based on the pictures. My two favorites are:

1) Capitol Green at Turner Field by Atlanta architect Joseph Flournoy because it does include the heavy rail per the picture and
2) Summerhill by E.W. Bowen & Co. and Cascade Building Systems because it looks extremely dense but doesn't have a rail component.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Personally, I think any of the designs would be a vast improvement over what is there currently. Also, I think a rapid streetcar line directly Georgia State station should be sufficient rather than spending the several hundred million it would cost to extend rail less than a mile south.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
I am a fan of the North American Properties proposal, mainly due to the streetcar. I think a streetcar or similar public transportation connecting downtown to Turner Field (and hopefully extending down Georgia Ave to Grant Park and Zoo Atlanta) is sorely needed. There is currently a bus that uses this exact route, but as is often discussed, buses aren't permanent, and have more of a stigma attached to them. I also like their dense, mixed used development that includes a new street grid. Hopefully, any plan for developing the area around Turner Field includes some amenities for the permanent residents of the new neighborhood and existing surrounding neighborhoods (Summerhill, Grant Park, Peoplestown), such as small grocery stores and even a movie theater. Currently, this end of the city lacks close access to these types of amenities.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
The streetcar idea is much better than spending hundreds of millions to have a HRT extension to the stadium that will only be used 81-days of the year. Streetcars allow local business to be viewable from the vehicle and users can connect to the neighborhood more. Yes, people will have to transfer, but its part of using transit. Regular transit users don't complain about transferring because its part of using a system and they understand 1 line cannot go to everyone's destination.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 AM

139 posts, read 231,663 times
Not overly significant, but my favorite idea is NAPS' proposal to preserve a little history with Hank Aaron Park. But, I really dislike their idea for the parking decks - as shown they are a barrier between the new development and Summerhill. I'd rather see the decks along 75/85 in their plan.

And, whatever transit may or may not come with this needs to service Zoo Atlanta as well. Maybe a Hank Aaron/Atlanta/Cherokee/Georgia streetcar loop?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
And, whatever transit may or may not come with this needs to service Zoo Atlanta as well. Maybe a Hank Aaron/Atlanta/Cherokee/Georgia streetcar loop?
Could connect to the BeltLine south of Grant Park?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
I think the street car would be key. But what route would the streetcar use to get there? Just a line on its own from Ga State MARTA to Turner? Where would you put the mait/storage facility for it?

Or do something like continue the current street car down Peachtree past Five points, to Turner, through the middle of Grant Park before linking with the Beltline?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM

139 posts, read 231,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Could connect to the BeltLine south of Grant Park?
Perhaps, but the SE BL is decades away (if ever.) And, as much as I'd love to see the SE BL opened as a trail, it'd be hard to financially justify transit along it. The population density is so very low with no significant development anticipated (WalMart doesn't count.)

Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think the street car would be key. But what route would the streetcar use to get there? Just a line on its own from Ga State MARTA to Turner? Where would you put the mait/storage facility for it?

Or do something like continue the current street car down Peachtree past Five points, to Turner, through the middle of Grant Park before linking with the Beltline?
I think if it were going to connect to Grant Park/Zoo Atlanta, it could start at Five Points or the Ga State Marta Stations, continue down Capitol Ave to Turner Field, turn left on Georgia Ave (hitting the now abandoned businesses along that route), and continue south on Cherokee to Atlanta Ave. It could continue west on Atlanta Ave and south on Hill Street to connect to the new Beltline park in Peoplestown, while also giving that area more access to transit. Otherwise, it could continue down Atlanta Ave and form a loop back to the connecting Marta stations.

Another option, other than using Cherokee, is to use Grant Street, since that street is a one way for sections of it already and more than wide enough for streetcars (that's where they used to be located, and many of the buildings of old businesses along the route are still there). It could also connect to the Beltline by following Grant Street straight south.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
More parking.... this is a dream come true for anyone who goes to GSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta