Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,578 times

Advertisements

The original question was about people moving out of 30067. Naturally, the people in the part of East Cobb that falls within 30067 aren't going anywhere anytime soon. However, there is a lot of turnover in the aforementioned apartments and townhomes/condos along Terrell Mill Road (west of Powers Ferry), Bentley Road, Delk Road, Powers Ferry Road, Windy Hill Road, and Franklin Road. I've also seen some of the apartment complexes change names several times, which is typically a bad sign.

There are some nice townhomes on Powers Ferry south of Terrell Mill, but I don't consider those to be "new". I know that the majority of them were built long before I moved out of 30067 in 2010. They still look nice at this time, but a lot of changes are still happening in the area.

Annexation of unincorporated parts of 30067 by Marietta makes logical sense. However, it would ultimately hurt the residents since that would more than likely move them out of Cobb County Schools and into City of Marietta Schools. There were parents in my old complex that were there mainly because their kids could attend Wheeler rather than Marietta High. That would change if that area is annexed, which could actually cause an even sharper decline in the older apartments and townhomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 07:40 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
A City of East Cobb would be dumb.
I agree.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Things can change. If the proposed redevelopment of the Franklin road corridor gains steam, it could snowball and make this area a prime spot again. As for location within Cobb, it is hard to beat. I am sure the city fathers of Marietta want to keep the city on the up and up and continue with redevelopment of blighted parts of the city. I know Marietta city schools don't have the panache of certain east Cobb areas, but the city schools are nothing to sneeze at either. If Marietta increases in percentage of owner occupied and moves the mix of rentals up market, it will bring the gap between the two even closer.

As for the tony areas of 30067 "breaking off" and joining Sandy Springs or Atlanta, never, never going to happen. Will see Chattahoochee Plantation revived before this. Besides, there is nothing to be said off of a zip code other than that is which post office delivers your mail. Has nothing to do with city limits (or county lines in many instances).

Chattahoochee Plantation, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Things can change. If the proposed redevelopment of the Franklin road corridor gains steam, it could snowball and make this area a prime spot again. As for location within Cobb, it is hard to beat. I am sure the city fathers of Marietta want to keep the city on the up and up and continue with redevelopment of blighted parts of the city. I know Marietta city schools don't have the panache of certain east Cobb areas, but the city schools are nothing to sneeze at either. If Marietta increases in percentage of owner occupied and moves the mix of rentals up market, it will bring the gap between the two even closer.

As for the tony areas of 30067 "breaking off" and joining Sandy Springs or Atlanta, never, never going to happen. Will see Chattahoochee Plantation revived before this. Besides, there is nothing to be said off of a zip code other than that is which post office delivers your mail. Has nothing to do with city limits (or county lines in many instances).

Chattahoochee Plantation, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Every time the City of Marietta closes another multi-family dump, and hand-out Section 8 vouchers, the surrounding marginal residential areas suffer. It is like squeezing a balloon, those folks do not just disappear. This has been going on for years. Metro Atlanta/Marietta/Smyrna was ranked #1 in the country in a recent article on suburban poverty growth.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:42 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Saintmarks, you make some excellent points. Marietta City Schools is not the substandard school system that many seem to be making it out to be.

While it may not be held in the same high-esteem as the Cobb County Public Schools area clusters in East Cobb (namely the Wheeler, Walton, Sprayberry, Lassiter and Pope clusters), Marietta is still a very-good, if not excellent school system in its own right.

The only reason why the Marietta city school district is likely not held in the same high regard as the East Cobb school clusters is because the area of the Marietta school district has a lot of low-income and transient residents living in multi-family housing, something that the East Cobb school clusters don't necessarily have anywhere nearly as much of with the possible exception of Wheeler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Every time the City of Marietta closes another multi-family dump, and hand-out Section 8 vouchers, the surrounding marginal residential areas suffer. It is like squeezing a balloon, those folks do not just disappear. This has been going on for years. Metro Atlanta/Marietta/Smyrna was ranked #1 in the country in a recent article on suburban poverty growth.
...Those are excellent points, also.

Heck, one can possibly even argue that at least part of the decline in the Franklin Road corridor and other areas of Marietta is due in part to the City of Atlanta closing down its housing projects and handing out Section 8 vouchers, many of which have probably been used in many of the aging multi-family developments that occupy the area in, near and around the corporate limits of the City of Marietta.

Though, I cannot really necessarily find fault with the City of Marietta for wanting to address and clean up what is a festering problem that directly affects the city's quality-of-life, even though a lot of low-income people will likely be displaced as a result of whatever the City of Marietta does to clean up the area along Franklin Road.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Heck, one can possibly even argue that at least part of the decline in the Franklin Road corridor and other areas of Marietta is due in part to the City of Atlanta closing down its housing projects and handing out Section 8 vouchers, many of which have probably been used in many of the aging multi-family developments that occupy the area in, near and around the corporate limits of the City of Marietta.

Though, I cannot really necessarily find fault with the City of Marietta for wanting to address and clean up what is a festering problem that directly affects the city's quality-of-life, even though a lot of low-income people will likely be displaced as a result of whatever the City of Marietta does to clean up the area along Franklin Road.
I know you are not faulting either the city of Marietta or the city of Atlanta for closing down their low income housing projects.

However, I just wanted to emphasize that the city of Atlanta doesn't have any greater obligation to provide for the poor than any other city or county in the metro area. Taking care of the less fortunate is the responsibility of all of our jurisdictions and it is simply a natural progression for folks to move where housing is cheaper/free. The settlement of low income folks along Franklin Road and in other older apartment complexes in suburban areas is really a sign of our metro finding more balance.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM

15 posts, read 16,512 times
I live in an apartment complex on Franklin Rd. I have been here for a year since moving from Sandy Springs. A few years ago, the City of Marietta bought and demolished the Preston Chase Apartments across from Club Red Train. Supposedly they were going to build a park. Right now, there is no park. Just the gated vacant area of land with the old apartment sign in front of it.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know you are not faulting either the city of Marietta or the city of Atlanta for closing down their low income housing projects.

However, I just wanted to emphasize that the city of Atlanta doesn't have any greater obligation to provide for the poor than any other city or county in the metro area. Taking care of the less fortunate is the responsibility of all of our jurisdictions and it is simply a natural progression for folks to move where housing is cheaper/free. The settlement of low income folks along Franklin Road and in other older apartment complexes in suburban areas is really a sign of our metro finding more balance.
I'll jump in here..... I would argue that shutting down low income housing can have negative consequences for other close-by borderline areas. These were not the extreme where you had high-rises full of 1000's of low income people (such as in the NE) and out-of-control crime - - but cumulatively, over the years, I would bet 1000+ families have been displaced just in Marietta. I agree that all jurisdictions should share the burden, but I don't agree that scattering the problem via Section 8 vouchers is necessarily the solution. It assumes the new environment will "pull folks up" vs them pulling their new area down. A lot more cross-jurisdiction thought needs to go into these decisions to avoid unintended consequences.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:42 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
I agree that all jurisdictions should share the burden, but I don't agree that scattering the problem via Section 8 vouchers is necessarily the solution.
But that's the whole point...to scatter and send "the problem" somewhere else.

The City of Marietta doesn't care whose problem it becomes, just as long as the problem is no longer in the city of Marietta.

Just as the City of Atlanta didn't care that its low-income residents would become the problem of Clayton, DeKalb and Cobb counties when it closed down and demolished its crime-ridden clusters of low-income housing, just as long as "those people" were no longer the problem of the City of Atlanta.

That's the hard, cold reality of it...When you're affluent, EVERYBODY wants you (and your profitable assets a.k.a. your money), but when you're poor, NOBODY wants you (and your costly problems).

There isn't going to be much, if any, jurisdictional thought applied to this process because every jurisdiction wants to at least theoretically be able to or at least believe that send can send their costly social problems somewhere else when it's convenient, even though some governments (City of Marietta, City of Atlanta) will be able to get rid of their undesirables much more easily than others (Clayton County, DeKalb County, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta