Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM

616 posts, read 1,115,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Class, as in this faux Versailles in Buckhead? Love the garage doors, such a nice architectural detail.

Buckhead is full of newly rich people who would like the rest of the world to know that they have money. Since you mentioned rappers, shall I post an image of a pro athlete's (Allen Iverson) former faux chateau (foreclosed of course) in Buckhead?

Taste is subjective. Snobbery on the other hand is just boorish.
pwned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 PM

41 posts, read 79,694 times
Default I can't believe what I started...

I started this thread and after about several weeks, I can't believe what activity has been stirred up. Unfortunately, a lot of arguing back and forth (more like bantering), and some improper comments as well. But for those of you who have provided constructive and substantive comments, I thank you. However, emotions have definitely run high in this forum.

As for my wife and I, we are actually very happy with the choice of the house and neighborhood we have chosen to live in. We are only 2 miles into the rural area, and 2 miles out, whether it be from the front or back of our complex, we have everything we need in the area of shops and restaurants. The Vickery and Collection of Forsyth is only minutes away, and Alpharetta is about 5 minutes away. But coming home, we have the serenity and peacefulness that only the rural countryside can afford anyone.

On Rt. 9 we also see quite a few - For Sale - signs of vast amounts of acres of property, which is indicative of future and continued growth. And as someone indicated in a prior post, more than likely, 3-5 years from now, Cumming will look even more different from now. And I'm sure, in time, it will have even more of a contemporary look. And then there will be another town, probably further North that will begin to be up and coming, and this debate will continue about that area.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,806,887 times
This topic keeps coming up in some form of another again and again. This is not the first thread.

It is an argument of wealth, pseudo-wealth/upper-middle class mixed with OTP vs ITP (whatever you want to call it).

When are people going to stop being such snobs!?!

I swear some of the people who keep making some of the divisive arguments are truly sad people.

For crying out loud!

It is simple... Buckhead has an inventory of only so many houses at certain price points. However, there are more people in the metro area that can buy homes at those prices points, than exist in Buckhead. The same think exists for office space and light-industrial space that is often used by companies that heavy into new technology and engineering development.

The answers are simple! Wealth will move into other areas. In many cases they are following real jobs that exist OTP.

While parts of Buckhead and Midtown will always historically be the premier living areas of Atlanta, as the city grows and grows wealthier wealth will spread out too. They will also do it with modern building styles, whatever that may be.

So my question is simply this...

Why the heck are some people so threatened by that, they feel a need to be such a snob to put down people in other areas!?

PAV85,

All I can say... I think there is a bit of difference between what the average person in public acts and thinks and what some sorry person comes to an internet forum to spew out.

My family has been in and around this city for many generations, including generations where large parts of Buckhead were new!

We just see Forsyth as the next layer of outwards growth. It probably won't see as many of the extreme high incomes, as much as it is a solid-stable upper middle class, but largely among most I think it is seen as a new, exurban up and coming area with most people.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:53 AM

13 posts, read 23,435 times
Getting back to the original topic...

I don't think Cumming is low class. There are still some original residents that haven't been completely displaced (like say in north Fulton).

I lived in west Forsyth for a few years but found that we were spending most of our time in Alpharetta. Moved south to be closer to it all. We're in extreme south Forsyth, close enough for an Alpharetta address. Schools are great here, arguably better than some in north Fulton. My property taxes are about 10 mills less than they'd be in north Fulton (and probably 15 mills less than the city of Atlanta). Crime is low.

Also keep in mind that parts of south Forsyth are closer in to Atlanta than some parts of north Fulton, especially Milton. A little fact that many forget. I have a four mile commute to my job on Windward Parkway.

The biggest downside... Cumming and Forsyth didn't plan for growth as well as Alpharetta. As a result you'll commute home on two-lane country roads.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,453 times
Well we live on Lake Lanier with a couple of boats and a leisurely lifestyle and great schools. Exit 17 or 16 depending. Last I checked those things I listed are not readily available in town, and really can be enjoyed frequently by all who live in Cumming. As far as class I think people around here are perfectly fine. Very polite and all here enjoy Cumming. My family also live in Dunwwody and Sandy Springs where I was raised off Spalding in a large and fine home so that is my vantage point. Alpharetta is just a mall and traffic.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,791,635 times
To people in Smyrna/Vinings or Sandy Springs or Buckhead, etc: Cumming and Alpharetta are considered a step down, and too suburban, and too far out there, and have way too little to do and are not diverse enough for kids to grow up with a healthy view of the world. We would say they have their priorities mixed up, but that's a matter of opinion.

In Smyrna/Vinings, Sandy Springs, Buckhead, etc: many of us do look down upon Alpharetta, Woodstock and Cumming. Those 'burbs provide a mirror image of everything the inner suburbs are trying not to be, but those outer suburbs embrace it like it's a good thing. We don't want to live right in midtown since we want a little elbow room, but we don't want to live in grotesquely suburban areas like that either. E.g. we embrace urban living but want a little room. They have rejected urban living. In terms of L.A., Atlanta and the Northern perimeter would be Los Angeles County. Areas out there like Alpharetta, Woodstock and Cumming would be Orange County. That will explain it in a nutshell.

However, we don't necessarily consider them poor if they are in new homes, which are most of the homes, since those homes are way too large in an sq foot and land, which makes them comparable in price to smaller homes in our area. It's like how O.C. people aren't typically poor. Though if they live in a 3br home in Cumming, we'd consider them poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAV85 View Post
As for my wife and I, we are actually very happy with the choice of the house and neighborhood we have chosen to live in. We are only 2 miles into the rural area, and 2 miles out, whether it be from the front or back of our complex, we have everything we need in the area of shops and restaurants. The Vickery and Collection of Forsyth is only minutes away, and Alpharetta is about 5 minutes away. But coming home, we have the serenity and peacefulness that only the rural countryside can afford anyone.
See, this is shooting low in my opinion. Obviously, rural versus non-rural is a matter of opinion. But, beyond that... How far is someone in Cumming from the Cobb Performing Arts Center, or the Fox Theater? How far from midtown, Perimeter Center or Lenox? How many parks are around them? Are you within a 10-20 minute drive of 80% of jobs? How far from Six Flags? Is there diversity in the area? How many bicycle trails? Are there many mixed-use and walkable areas within close distance? Culture, like ballet? Comedy clubs? What about unique dining versus just dining? Boutiques? Artists? Can you take your kid on the subway? Are there a lot of people around that are exceptional trailblazers versus just status-quo type people? How progressive are people?

Last edited by netdragon; 08-04-2014 at 11:45 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 AM

124 posts, read 152,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
To people in Smyrna/Vinings or Sandy Springs or Buckhead, etc: Cumming and Alpharetta are considered a step down, and too suburban, and too far out there, and have way too little to do and are not diverse enough for kids to grow up with a healthy view of the world. We would say they have their priorities mixed up, but that's a matter of opinion.
lol at grouping Smyrna/Vinings together with those areas. Talk about a step down!

Old 08-05-2014, 07:40 AM

712 posts, read 703,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post

In Smyrna/Vinings, Sandy Springs, Buckhead, etc: many of us do look down upon Alpharetta, Woodstock and Cumming. Those 'burbs provide a mirror image of everything the inner suburbs are trying not to be, but those outer suburbs embrace it like it's a good thing. We don't want to live right in midtown since we want a little elbow room, but we don't want to live in grotesquely suburban areas like that either. E.g. we embrace urban living but want a little room. They have rejected urban living. In terms of L.A., Atlanta and the Northern perimeter would be Los Angeles County. Areas out there like Alpharetta, Woodstock and Cumming would be Orange County. That will explain it in a nutshell.

However, we don't necessarily consider them poor if they are in new homes, which are most of the homes, since those homes are way too large in an sq foot and land, which makes them comparable in price to smaller homes in our area. It's like how O.C. people aren't typically poor. Though if they live in a 3br home in Cumming, we'd consider them poor.

See, this is shooting low in my opinion. Obviously, rural versus non-rural is a matter of opinion. But, beyond that... How far is someone in Cumming from the Cobb Performing Arts Center, or the Fox Theater? How far from midtown, Perimeter Center or Lenox? How many parks are around them? Are you within a 10-20 minute drive of 80% of jobs? How far from Six Flags? Is there diversity in the area? How many bicycle trails? Are there many mixed-use and walkable areas within close distance? Culture, like ballet? Comedy clubs? What about unique dining versus just dining? Boutiques? Artists? Can you take your kid on the subway? Are there a lot of people around that are exceptional trailblazers versus just status-quo type people? How progressive are people?
Too many words. Let me condense this for you.

"My poo smells like rose petals and I enjoy admiring my own brand. People who are different from me have awful, malodorous poo."

Brevity can be a virtue. Congrats on sustaining this dumpster fire of a thread!

Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,913,556 times
I love my trashy area off of exit 16 in Forsyth. I have the lake, Sawnee Mountain Preserve for hiking, mountains, the outlets, and I can park $ in retirement funds because its so cheap and trashy

Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 AM

528 posts, read 1,287,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I love my trashy area off of exit 16 in Forsyth. I have the lake, Sawnee Mountain Preserve for hiking, mountains, the outlets, and I can park $ in retirement funds because its so cheap and trashy
lol. Love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta