Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM

41 posts, read 79,472 times

Advertisements

Just relocated to GA. from up North and I bought a really nice house on the south side of Cumming. However, as my wife and I were browsing around some of the shops this weekend (in Alpharetta), we engaged some folks in conversation telling them that we were going to live in Cumming. And quite interesting were their responses, which was evident through their facial expressions. Because once we mentioned Cumming, several of the shop owners looked at us with a degree of disapproval or disgust. The latter term might be too strong, but it was more dissatisfaction.

Is Cumming looked upon as a substandard area? Granted the roadways may not be as manicured as Alpharetta or Milton, but we were told that many people are moving here. We can see obvious signs of this through the new construction. Also, the property taxes are lower here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 12:34 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Q: Are you in City of Cumming?
Or just have a Cumming mailing address? (Unincorporated Forsyth County)

From the folks I know that have a Cumming mailing address, But Not in City of Cumming say they live in Forsyth County.

Most 'Road' beautification is done by Sub/Divisions. Very little/If any is done by City/County.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
When I hear Cumming, my first impression is up and coming, nouveau riche.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
cumming is just a newer suburban/exurban area. Fairly affluent for what it is, but perhaps not as much as some of the N. Fulton Cities.

I can't imagine that alone would get you strange looks. It is a pretty common trend

Old 05-21-2013, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 33,692 times
Where in Cumming are you? There is a world of difference between Cumming off exit 17 and Cumming off exit 12.

I live in Cumming right now and I'm trying to sell the place to move into the city.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
To some folks, anything OTP is "low class and substandard". Who cares what others think as long as you like it.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:56 PM

10 posts, read 33,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
To some folks, anything OTP is "low class and substandard". Who cares what others think as long as you like it.
He said he was in shops in Alpharetta, so it isn't the standard ITP vs OTP.

Frankly a lot of people are going to Cumming instead of Alpharetta because of how terrible the traffic is getting around there plus the lower millage rate. When I bought here a subdivision was half in Fulton, half on Forsyth. The same exact house cost 1/3rd less in property taxes, so that is attracting people.

Forsyth county is one of the wealthiest counties in GA, if not THE wealthiest. Assuming you're on the west side near Alpharetta, you're good. Now, if you moved off exit 16, then yeah, that area is for lack of a better term, pretty trashy.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:00 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
When I hear Cumming, my first impression is up and coming....
No pun intended, I'm sure, LD.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
You've got to understand that some in Alpharetta fancy their area as the best in the metro. To them, Forsyth County is more country and less exclusive. In time that will change; when I was growing up in Peachtree City, Coweta County was seen as kind of country and a bit subpar by some, but nowadays it's seen as completely thriving and legit.

One historical reputation Forsyth County does have is one of extreme racism. That's mostly gone, given how diverse it is inevitably getting, but you will become aware of it to some degree living there.

Confronting Racism in Forsyth County Georgia - Oprah.com

Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Whenever I go to the North Georgia Premium Outlets and talk to the kids who work in the stores who all seem to have strong southern drawls, they tell me they live in Cumming.

So I think of it as quite southern. Especially since I went to a bank in downtown Cumming and a guy in line was spitting his gross tobacco juice into an empty water bottle he was holding and nobody else seemed to even notice.

I consider it a little redneck. However, there is a pretty big difference between living in Cumming and living in unincorporated Forsyth county and just having a Cumming address.

And it's a weird name. As long as I have lived here, I still giggle when I see Cumming on a street sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta