Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 PM

403 posts, read 1,194,761 times

Advertisements

Interested in suggestions for family friendly neighborhoods and areas to look in to. Good schools and close proximity to shopping, etc.

Will rent first, 4-5 bedroom..

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,410,172 times
Not sure I fully understand the question- are you looking to move from Buford to North Cobb or Cherokee? If so, I'd suggest looking in Holly Springs or Woodstock in Cherokee- plenty of great subdivisions, excellent schools, and shopping close enough (including a new outlet mall in Woodstock that's opening in July).

Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 PM

403 posts, read 1,194,761 times
Correct.. You understood right.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:59 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,537,398 times
MarketingGuy, I agree with BobKovacs that Holly Springs or Woodstock is a really good area to relocate to.

You really can't go wrong anywhere in Cherokee as far as the schools are concerned as the Cherokee County School District is annually one of the highest-ranked school districts in the State of Georgia.

Greatschools.org is a great website with reviews from parents and teachers and test scores that can help you determine just what is the absolute best school district for you.
Cherokee County School District in Canton, GA | GreatSchools

As far as good neighborhoods for 4-5 bedroom homes, the best neighborhoods for 4-5 bedroom homes that stick out most in my mind are golf course communities, many of which have a "golf-tennis-swim-fitness" theme with community swimming pools, tennis courts and fitness clubs.

Eagle Watch in Woodstock 30189, which is either in the Etowah or Woodstock HS clusters (Eagle Watch Golf Club in Woodstock, Georgia 30189 | Canongate Golf Clubs, Atlanta Golf Courses) is a nice, established community with homes built in the 1980's and '90's .

Bridgemill in Canton 30114, which is in the Cherokee High School cluster if I am correct, is a newer "golf-tennis-swim-fitness" community with homes built mostly in the mid-late 2000's and is a really nice place to look.
Bridgemill Athletic Club | 770-345-5500 -

Bradshaw Farms in Woodstock 30189 is also nice and somewhat scenic as a "golf-tennis-swim" community and should be in the Sequoyah HS cluster if I am correct.
Bradshaw Farm - Home Page

The brand new River Ridge High School cluster and the newer Creekview High School cluster are also good places to look for 4-5 bedroom homes.

In any case, you really cannot go wrong anywhere in Cherokee County as the schools are pretty good, crime is generally very low and the area is somewhat scenic.

Also, Downtown Woodstock is in a somewhat advanced process of revitalizing their historic railroad-centered downtown with a growing amount of shops, restaurants situated around the site of a future commuter rail stop, while Canton is in the early stages of revitalizing their historic downtown.

Northern Cobb County is a good place to look for 4-5 bedroom homes as well (North Cobb HS, Allatoona HS, Kennesaw Mountain HS, Kell HS clusters in the Cobb County Public Schools district) as Acworth and Kennesaw have long-term desires to revitalize their historic railroad downtowns around the sites of future passenger rail stations.

Kennesaw, in particular is known for having a very-low crime rate inside the city limits because of the city's unique gun laws in which gun ownership is mandatory, but unenforced.

But also beware that some areas in and around the Acworth 30101, Acworth 30102, Kennesaw 30144 and Marietta 30066 zip codes are in the somewhat advanced stages of transitioning to a more urban environment so be careful where you commit to (go see what the area looks like at night, etc before you sign or close).

Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 PM

183 posts, read 298,880 times
LMAO at some parts of Kennesaw 30144 or Acworth 30101 transitioning into an urban area!!!! Both of those areas are EXTREMELY safe and are probably some of the safest areas even in Cobb County. Plus 30144 IS the Kennesaw city limits. Located in the 30144 zip code is Legacy Park which is a large development which has nature trails, 3 pools, tennis courts, gym, and a nice clubhouse. Plus you'll be much closer to the Barrett Pkwy corridor which has literally everything you need and you're also close to downtown Acworth which is pretty cool with some excellent restaurants. Plus although still kind of far out IMO, you'll be a little closer to the city than out in Cherokee County. I went to high school in this area and am temporarily out in the area now and I've NEVER heard about anything happening out here at all except maybe a couple burglaries every once in a blue moon. Trust me, Kennesaw PD runs a tight ship in this area and wouldn't let crime get out of hand and that's a promise. Hell, I have someone in my subdivision who sits in his garage with the door open with a big screen..only in Kennesaw can you do that and not have pple scoping you out.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 AM

10,400 posts, read 11,537,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
LMAO at some parts of Kennesaw 30144 or Acworth 30101 transitioning into an urban area!!!! Both of those areas are EXTREMELY safe and are probably some of the safest areas even in Cobb County. Plus 30144 IS the Kennesaw city limits. Located in the 30144 zip code is Legacy Park which is a large development which has nature trails, 3 pools, tennis courts, gym, and a nice clubhouse. Plus you'll be much closer to the Barrett Pkwy corridor which has literally everything you need and you're also close to downtown Acworth which is pretty cool with some excellent restaurants. Plus although still kind of far out IMO, you'll be a little closer to the city than out in Cherokee County. I went to high school in this area and am temporarily out in the area now and I've NEVER heard about anything happening out here at all except maybe a couple burglaries every once in a blue moon. Trust me, Kennesaw PD runs a tight ship in this area and wouldn't let crime get out of hand and that's a promise. Hell, I have someone in my subdivision who sits in his garage with the door open with a big screen..only in Kennesaw can you do that and not have pple scoping you out.
...Excellent points smb90, but not all of the 30144 zip code is inside the Kennesaw City Limits.

16 square miles of the 30144 zip code is unincorporated Kennesaw as the incorporated City of Kennesaw (8.5 square miles total area) takes up only about roughly 6.5 square miles of the 22.5 square mile area of the 30144 zip code, the remaining roughly 2 square miles of the land area of the incorporated City of Kennesaw is in the 30152 zip code.

And when I say that an area is "transitioning to urban" I don't mean that an area is necessarily transitioning to becoming a high-crime inner-city area.

I mean that an area may not necessarily be as highly-maintained as it was in the past when an area was newer.

I also mean that the population and development density may be increasing in an area from low-density single-family homes to moderate or higher-density single-family homes or higher-density multi-family dwellings.

And the areas of the 30144 zip code that I am referring to that is transitioning to urban are east of Interstate 75 outside of the city limits.

Particularly the part of 30144 that includes the area of apartment complexes and multi-family housing along George Busbee Parkway from about 1/2 mile north of Chastain Road up to almost Wade Green Road.

Also, the part of 30144 that is east of I-575 and west of Canton Road/Old Highway 5 that has many older 3-4 bedroom single family homes as 30144 is more than just the immediate 8.5 square miles of area west of I-75.

And the areas of the 30101 zip code that I am referring to as transitioning to urban is the area along GA Hwy 92/Lake Acworth Drive between Cherokee Street and Cowan Road that is seeing the continued introduction of more higher-density single-family and multi-family housing into the area.

I agree that overall the area is very-safe, but depending on the immediate area, some tracts are getting more high-density Northeastern townhome-like housing while multi-family housing is being built on other tracts and some older more established tracts are displaying the signs of age depending on the neighborhood.

I also agree with smb90 that Legacy Park is a great community and one of my favorites that I personally highly recommend that you take a look at because of the huge greenspace/nature preserve directly in the middle of the community.

Legacy Park - Atlanta's First Townpark Community

Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 AM

183 posts, read 298,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
...Excellent points smb90, but not all of the 30144 zip code is inside the Kennesaw City Limits.

16 square miles of the 30144 zip code is unincorporated Kennesaw as the incorporated City of Kennesaw (8.5 square miles total area) takes up only about roughly 6.5 square miles of the 22.5 square mile area of the 30144 zip code, the remaining roughly 2 square miles of the land area of the incorporated City of Kennesaw is in the 30152 zip code.

And when I say that an area is "transitioning to urban" I don't mean that an area is necessarily transitioning to becoming a high-crime inner-city area.

I mean that an area may not necessarily be as highly-maintained as it was in the past when an area was newer.

I also mean that the population and development density may be increasing in an area from low-density single-family homes to moderate or higher-density single-family homes or higher-density multi-family dwellings.

And the areas of the 30144 zip code that I am referring to that is transitioning to urban are east of Interstate 75 outside of the city limits.

Particularly the part of 30144 that includes the area of apartment complexes and multi-family housing along George Busbee Parkway from about 1/2 mile north of Chastain Road up to almost Wade Green Road.

Also, the part of 30144 that is east of I-575 and west of Canton Road/Old Highway 5 that has many older 3-4 bedroom single family homes as 30144 is more than just the immediate 8.5 square miles of area west of I-75.

And the areas of the 30101 zip code that I am referring to as transitioning to urban is the area along GA Hwy 92/Lake Acworth Drive between Cherokee Street and Cowan Road that is seeing the continued introduction of more higher-density single-family and multi-family housing into the area.

I agree that overall the area is very-safe, but depending on the immediate area, some tracts are getting more high-density Northeastern townhome-like housing while multi-family housing is being built on other tracts and some older more established tracts are displaying the signs of age depending on the neighborhood.

I also agree with smb90 that Legacy Park is a great community and one of my favorites that I personally highly recommend that you take a look at because of the huge greenspace/nature preserve directly in the middle of the community.

Legacy Park - Atlanta's First Townpark Community
My apologies, thought you meant crimewise. But in that sense, Kennesaw is actually densifying pretty rapidly, and the traffic to go along with it

Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,376,927 times
Woodstock

Closest neighborhood to the center of town is Woodstock Knoll, where Ashton Woods is still building homes. Mostly 4-br, some with basements. But you would have a hard time finding a rental there.

Plenty of established neighborhoods just west of there in Towne Lake. That is also a nice area.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM

113 posts, read 343,561 times
We are moving to Towne Lake in a couple of weeks! We were up there this past weekend and we rented a house! Can't wait! Any recommendations on cable/internet, natural gas, and I guess water?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:55 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,410,172 times
Water will be Cherokee County Water and Sewer Authority- no choice there.

We use Georgia Natural Gas for one of our houses, and GasSouth for the other- no real difference in pricing. You can also,look at Atlanta Gaslight.

For cable/Internet, we use Windstream for phone and DSL, and Dish Network for TV. You can also look at Comcast and Direct TV. I don't know if Verizon has FIOS in Townes Lake yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta