Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 PM

13 posts, read 46,498 times

Advertisements

For any parents that are looking for programs for gifted kids in Atlanta I would have to say that this program is probably NOT what most of us would consider a good program. We enrolled our son and although everyone is really nice to be honest the material is really dry and the teachers are pretty average. They are not certified to teach gifted children.

We wanted to try it out and did but that being said I think there are other programs in the area that might be a better match.

Once we started they started bugging us each session to enroll in a study that of course the university is conducting. I noticed that many of the kids seemed bored out of their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM

11 posts, read 16,811 times
It varies with teachers. We tried several sessions, some were better than others, but there is no way to tell beforehand. We liked a microbiology class with a guy from Emory.
I didn't like the fact that you had to choose three courses, and there was no guarantee you would get your top choice (they might either cancel the course or the class would be full).

Old 04-20-2013, 10:34 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
My wife and I taught a science course there for gifted middle schoolers while we were in graduate school. We both enjoyed it, and I think we both did a good job, but I had previous experience teaching children, and my wife had taught several college laboratory classes. I am not sure if others were as experienced, and that was over a decade ago, so things may have changed.
Funny story (in retrospect): my wife was dissecting a pig for the class. All of the kids were gathered around, and then one of the smaller girls started yelling, "I can't see!" So I said, "Okay everyone scoot back a little bit so Suzy can see the pig."
"No, you don't understand. I really can't see." She had gone blind! I guess it was psychosomatic, but it was kind of freaky. Anyway, I took her out in the hall, while my wife finished the lesson. The girl started feeling better and her sight came back pretty quick. Her mother wasn't really upset when we told her what happened; she almost seemed to think it was funny. The girl said she really did not find the dissection scary, but her sight just shut down. Anyway, the girl went to the rest of the classes without a problem, and I think the students really enjoyed the class.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 AM

13 posts, read 46,498 times
Yes we heard great things about the program which is why we enrolled but it was all from people who had kids that are in college now. It seems things have changed because it has been very chaotic and unorganized from what we see. Just not what I would expect from a program that touts specific gifted classes. Maybe is was just a bad session that we witnessed but we won't be going back.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times
LeeLee, this is very interesting to me. It seems that you are saying that the teaching may be different if the teachers are certified to teach gifted children. Have you seen a difference? What is the difference? Really seriously asking. I think that our toddler may be gifted and I am intrigued re how teachers that have this certification may differ from others and the benefit of ascertaining whether teachers that he may have in the future are certified to teach gifted children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee2008 View Post
For any parents that are looking for programs for gifted kids in Atlanta I would have to say that this program is probably NOT what most of us would consider a good program. We enrolled our son and although everyone is really nice to be honest the material is really dry and the teachers are pretty average. They are not certified to teach gifted children.

We wanted to try it out and did but that being said I think there are other programs in the area that might be a better match.

Once we started they started bugging us each session to enroll in a study that of course the university is conducting. I noticed that many of the kids seemed bored out of their minds.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM

97 posts, read 241,804 times
This is really sad news to hear. I remember going to Saturday school at GSU when I was a kid and I *loved it*. I guess this would have been 25 - 30 years ago now. And I've been bugging the heck out of my husband to let me put our oldest in it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
We were not certified to teach gifted children when we were in the program over ten years ago, and I seriously doubt that it would ever be possible to get enough gifted certified teachers to teach in all the different subject areas offered-- on a Saturday for little compensation. I would have guessed that the program would have always been a little bit of hit-and-miss, and may have seemed a little better in the past because there was far less access to enrichment.

And, learning science from an actual scientist (or engineer, or artist, or...) may seem a little dry to some middle-schoolers (even a gifted ones), but learning science from a "real scientist" does offer a type of enrichment that can be difficult to achieve in a child's regular school--learning may not always being entertaining, but that does not make it less worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: