Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:36 PM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by look_in View Post
you actually wish there was a way parents could get tax credit for taking their kids to private school. there are those middle class parents sacrificing a lot to send their kids to private school...............
Uh...absolutely not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look_in View Post
you actually wish there was a way parents could get tax credit for taking their kids to private school. there are those middle class parents sacrificing a lot to send their kids to private school...............
I grew up in a fairly affluent area in another metro with excellent public schools, and I didn't know anyone at all who went to private school.

I'm curious. Are they really worth the money?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times
From my experience they're not...I went to private school...husband went to public...we're pretty much on a par with each other.

I think they have their place if you have a child with a special need (not necessarily some developmental problem). Most of them don't employ extra-special teaching methodologies (ie, Montessori) - or they say they do but none of their teachers has special training in those methodologies, etc.

Not all, of course...some of them offer extracurricular programs that you can't find in public schools - stuff abroad, etc.

But...eh...not worth it to me...public school should suffice. Not to mention I really don't want my son in a school where EVERYONE is well off. In the school he's in he's surrounded by kids who come from economic backgrounds that are more middle class but do have variation.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:05 PM

45 posts, read 196,071 times
We are currently in the process of relocating to Atlanta from the northern Virginia/D.C. area, and are looking to buy in the Druid Hills, Morningside/virginia Highlands area. We are big believers in using public schools, but are starting to worry that many families in these neighborhoods are sending their kids to private schools for middle or high school. We are worried about landing in a situation where all the neighborhood kids go to private school, and my kids have no one to hang out with. Private school tuition for 3 kids is sooo not an option for us. Any thoughts on how to land intown safely in that regard?
This is a great thread by the way - really helpful and insightful.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 PM

I live in a neighborhood near where you are looking. My son goes to Mary Lin ES and will go to Inman Middle and then Grady High, where your kids would end up.

I have to say that about half the parent pull their kids out of the public system after Inman...I don't have hard fact, just from talking to parents. But, I get the feeling that it's happening less and less because Grady High's reputation continues to improve, likely because many incoming parents believe in public schools, etc. In fact, every one on MY child's peers (he's 6) appear to be headed towards 100% public school.

My husband and I both have advanced degrees and work in scientific fields (as a reference to what goes through our mind when we think about education). And we do okay, financially. We could afford to send our kid to Paideia (closest private school and a well regarded one) if we wanted. But we also made a decision to support public education. We are very confident that our son will get a good education at Mary Lin, Inman, and Grady.

And, of course, Morningside is a good school...but you probably know that. I should think that any parent who is attentive to their child's education would be satisfied with the Morningside/Inman/Grady path for their child...

Welcome to Atlanta and please consider my neighborhood (Candler Park, zip 30307) in your search for a home. We're just a little more laid back and eclectic than where you're looking now but VERY family oriented.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 PM

45 posts, read 196,071 times
Thanks so much. This is exactly the type of info we are looking for.

We spent yesterday looking at a few houses in the Mary Lin district, and liked what we saw on the whole. Enjoyed seeing so many cute kids hanging out near the Fellinis' pizza in the bright sunshine.

Elementary effects pretty much our youngest (1st grade), but the older ones are on the verge of middle school, so we have to consider the whole picture. Also, one of our kids is currently in a full-time gifted program, so that whole issue is confusing me too. Do you know anything about how APS handles gifted kids?

I love the rich texture that an intown life could offer our kids, but owe them a good education too.

We lived in Atlanta years ago (before kids) and are excited about finally getting back home, but it's terrifying at the same time. So many decisions....

Thanks so very much!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 PM

That's the thing about Candler Park - people are always outside when the weather is nice...and there are soooo many kids. That's the thing that sold us on that neighborhood over Morningside.

Hey, my son is in the 1st grade, too, though he's still 6. One of those late birthdays. So far we've LOVED Mary Lin.

For gifted children they have what they call a Challenge program. It doesn't start until the second half of 1st grade. But, the kids stay in the say class as the rest but they go to separate classes at different times during the week in order to go through Challenge. Our son was just tested on it last week so we're just getting the skinny on it.

Also, there are so many extracurricular activites for the kids intown to enrich their educations. Here's a link I found about a summer gifted program in APS.
Atlanta Public Schools: Summer School 07 (http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/SummerSchool/xanadu.html - broken link)

With our son just starting to be evaluated for this sort of thing I have to admit that I am naive. However, I have been impressed so far with how well they teach math, etc, at his age.

Yes, the richer and more worldly atmosphere of the city is one or many reasons we left the burbs, the number one reason being the commute. I am very excited about raising my son in an inner city public schools system where he will acquire a sophistocation that can only be found in a heterogeneous population....

Please, don't hesitate to direct message me for information.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 PM

8 posts, read 54,277 times
Though my husband and I do not have kids, we live in the Midtown area and think that Grady High School seems like an incredible public school. It is Atlanta Public Schools’ Communication Magnet, a Health Science academy, and a Fine Arts academy, and it even has a highly acclaimed fashion program. I recently posted about Grady's fashion program on our blog http://ww.aroundmidtown.com. I hope this helps!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentsto3 View Post
Thanks so much. This is exactly the type of info we are looking for.

We spent yesterday looking at a few houses in the Mary Lin district, and liked what we saw on the whole. Enjoyed seeing so many cute kids hanging out near the Fellinis' pizza in the bright sunshine.

Elementary effects pretty much our youngest (1st grade), but the older ones are on the verge of middle school, so we have to consider the whole picture. Also, one of our kids is currently in a full-time gifted program, so that whole issue is confusing me too. Do you know anything about how APS handles gifted kids?

I love the rich texture that an intown life could offer our kids, but owe them a good education too.

We lived in Atlanta years ago (before kids) and are excited about finally getting back home, but it's terrifying at the same time. So many decisions....

Thanks so very much!

You will be impressed with Inman Middle School. It is excellent. They also have a great gifted program. Go check out the school...and--there's nothing to worry about!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 PM

12 posts, read 57,496 times
Hello everyone. I posted this on another thread and thought I would copy it here to see what response I rec'd. What are your thoughts on the Dekalb Co. Schools? We will be moving to Atl this summer and I want to be ITP. I am looking at the Briarcliff areas, Druid Hills, and maybe even Chamblee. We lived in Atlanta 20 years ago and I lived in Va-Highlands because it was cheap and the place to be for young single people. Those days are gone in more ways than one! I still have a hard time thinking of myself living outside the perimeter. We are interested in Lakeside High or Druid Hills High. I have researched both and they look good on paper (or internet as the case may be). So does Chamblee. But statistics can mean a lot of things. I am a middle school teacher myself and know what test scores mean, etc. I am just interested in getting some outside opinions. Maybe this should be its own thread....Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta